Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 06:37 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,744 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to a new city that I'm not familiar with. Does anyone have any tips for sizing up an apartment before I move? Like, are there some red flags that I can look for before I sign a lease? This might sound snobby, but I think a lot of times if there are a lot of cars in the parking lot that are totally falling apart, that can be a sign. And it seems like apartments that are really cheap have degenerates in them (not everybody is a degenerate, I'm sure, but it makes sense that a cheap apartment would have at least a few unsavory characters.)

I've had a lot of experience living in different apartments and I'm sick of living around loud people. For the most part, the demographic I have the most trouble with are kids in their late teens/early twenties having loud parties, hanging out in the parking lot around cars with stupidly loud stereo systems, playing Guitar Hero at midnight, etc.

I'm not rolling in the dough, but I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to live in a place that isn't inhabited by rude, punk kids. I'd love to just live in a retirement community, but they don't take people under the age of 60. I don't blame them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:13 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
i would scope out an apartment on a Saturday afternoon or really a Saturday night. If you find a place you like, look at night and especially on the weekends. Cars do not tell the story. never judge a book by it's cover.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:04 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I hate to say it but look if its section 8 or not. Then look at the neighborhood its in just like looking for a home tha is quite.Like housing higher rent is probsbly going to mean quiter.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
i would scope out an apartment on a Saturday afternoon or really a Saturday night. If you find a place you like, look at night and especially on the weekends. Cars do not tell the story. never judge a book by it's cover.
I second this, especially the "at night" part. You will also see what lights might shine in your window and who hangs out in the parking lot at night especially in the summer.

Also, do NOT live near the dumpster. Despite the obvious reason, trash pick up is usually in the wee hours of the morning and it is noisy to lift and put down those things. Also, does the fire department go down a road near your probable bedroom window to get to some main road? If checking for street noise, and there are trees between your bedroom window and the road, check in the winter when there are no leaves on the trees.

Do not live near a playground area or an apartment pool. In addition to the noise, people will park their cars in front of your building and when you come home with groceries, you might not be able to park close to your building entrance.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Oh, and when you look at an apartment, please look out the bedroom windows and look to see what is around.
Are there low roofs with fans on them? (mostly with food places), Is there a busy road near by? Is there a train station, buses, a park anything that you think would make noise and disturb your sleep..

I know, sounds petty, but trust me you do not want to hear fans or motors rumbling when you are trying to sleep.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:52 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,478 times
All of the above suggestions are great, especially the one about checking out a prospective apartment during the evenings. This site also may help...
Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.

You can't be 100% guaranteed to find a quiet apartment, but you can maximize your chances by doing research!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:40 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Also, do NOT live near the dumpster. Despite the obvious reason, trash pick up is usually in the wee hours of the morning and it is noisy to lift and put down those things. .
HA....no joke! I feel so sorry for the people who live near our dumpster area. The complex has a real nice building with the dumpster inside, but it still stinks and draws flies. I wouldn't live in that area for free. Seriously!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP,

Keep in mind some people post negative things because they are mad at the manager staff for any number of reasons, but you can get a lot of information from:
Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:24 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,744 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! These things seem obvious, but I hadn't thought of them.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,468 times
When you take a look at the place (inside) do it during the early evening hours or on the weekend when most people are home. Can you hear kids running around, TVs blaring, lots of noise?

I will usually drive by during various times of the day and days of the week. It's not a true indicator of how things always are but you should be able to get a fair idea of what goes on. Just be careful not to drive by too many times and look like you're stalking someone. You could also stop and take a short walk around, talk to some of the current tenants and ask their opinions.

Give the local police department a call and see if they are routinely called to the apartment complex/area. Most PDs will be happy to give you this information.

There's no way to weed out noisy/crappy places definitively but doing your research can certainly help.

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,863 times
The tips above are great, but you really have to keep in mind that you never know when some insanely loud elephant stomping door slammer with lots of loud personal drama will move in to an adjacent unit. If quiet is really important to you, you should consider renting a detached house instead, so at least any noisy neighbors will not be sharing walls with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting