Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:56 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,594,210 times

Advertisements

My sister just moved into a large apartment complex just two weeks ago. Today i visited her for the first time and the outside of the place looks very well kept you wouldn't think this place is that bad. Anyway i'm up late and i decided to google the place to see reviews. Last year someone broke into an apartment and raped a 6 year old child. Just 2 days ago a drug deal gone bad in the parking lot lead to a guy shooting someone involved in the deal 6 times...again There was a hostage situation way back in 2008 though another shooting too.

That's all i have so far for research other then the 2.7 and 2.8 ratings out of 5 stars on various sites.

Now this is a large complex i would say about 200 units seperated into sections.

Should she start looking and break the lease or am i paranoid? She is living there with my nephews ages 1 and 2 and she lives in an apartment where her living room looks right out in the parking lot and so do most of the windows.

She didn't read the reviews before renting because of going through a divorce and had to move out of her house fairly quick. I really don't feel comfortable with her living there.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:43 AM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Your crime stats indicate a problem with the area the apartment complex is in so if that's the area she needs/wants to live in she can't avoid it. There is no doubt crime everywhere if you go back 10 years and look. I live in a very safe, affluent area and we've had crimes and murders here that books have been written about...there isn't a way to avoid it unfortunately.

No apartment had good ratings online btw, only complainers post reviews.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,040,448 times
it's no secret where the 'bad places' are in your city and sounds like your sister is living where she can afford to live. If you're that concerned, offer to co sign a lease in a nicer area and help pay her rent or move in with her.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,234,709 times
I would certainly be concerned since she is ground level near the parking area. I've seen lots of people say that they never rent ground level as it is more risky regarding break-ins etc.

I would do what I could to help her and your nephew/niece(s) If you can't do anything else, at least get her into an upper floor apartment.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6548507_gr...nt-safety.html

https://www.brickunderground.com/blo...fer_everywhere

Security DIYhttp://www.protectamerica.com/home-security-blog/safe-and-sound/realblogging-securing-your-ground-floor-apartment_10431
http://simplisafe.com/tips/top-10-wa...your-apartment

Old 03-03-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
it's no secret where the 'bad places' are in your city and sounds like your sister is living where she can afford to live. If you're that concerned, offer to co sign a lease in a nicer area and help pay her rent or move in with her.
Your assumptions are wrong she can live anywhere she wants but just like i said she had to move out of her house pretty quick due to a divorce and didn't research this apartment complex other then looking at it. The area is real nice the apartment building is the problem. She lives in the 2nd highest per capita income county in the state of PA and one of top school districts in the state.

She also hasn't lived in that area until 2 weeks ago so that isn't "her city" She lived in Upper Saucon Twp, Center Valley, PA another nice area and just moved to Hatfield, PA.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would certainly be concerned since she is ground level near the parking area. I've seen lots of people say that they never rent ground level as it is more risky regarding break-ins etc.

I would do what I could to help her and your nephew/niece(s) If you can't do anything else, at least get her into an upper floor apartment.

Ground Floor Apartment Safety | eHow

https://www.brickunderground.com/blo...fer_everywhere

Security DIYhttp://www.protectamerica.com/home-security-blog/safe-and-sound/realblogging-securing-your-ground-floor-apartment_10431
Top 10 Ways to Secure your Apartment | Home Security Systems
It's real difficult going up a lot of stairs with 2 kids and infant and a toddler by herself and carrying stuff in the building makes it worse that's why she chose ground level.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:24 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,453,077 times
She signed a lease, there isn't much she can do. Bringing up something that happened two and nine years ago isn't going to get you very far.

She knew where the apartment was, its incumbent on her to research these things. If HER apartment gets broken into or there are more shootings or something, then she might be allowed out of her lease.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:38 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
It's real difficult going up a lot of stairs with 2 kids and infant and a toddler by herself and carrying stuff in the building makes it worse that's why she chose ground level.
Under NO circumstances should she break the lease. That means she will not be able to rent another place. If she really wants to move, Have her read her lease and figure out how to break the lease legally by giving proper notice and paying whatever the lease requires.

I'd agree that a second floor apartment would be a better idea, though a hassle. (2 kids and an infant and a toddler? In your first post you said 2 nephews. Now you say four kids?) BTW, you asked for suggestions on how to help your sister. It's kind of annoying to get advice, then turn around and say why it is so inconvenient.

And if this is the case you're referring to - it wasn't a drug deal. Teen ordered to stand trial in Hatfield shooting

Don't even worry about the 2008 episode - it was domestic violence, which can occur in the 'best of neighborhoods'. (Ever heard of OJ?)

The rapist got 24-70 years, and as an illegal immigrant, will hopefully be deported. http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...-year-old.html

ETA: Maybe you and your sister should be buying a house together. Did i mention renting apartments suck!

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 03-03-2017 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-03-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Under NO circumstances should she break the lease. That means she will not be able to rent another place. If she really wants to move, Have her read her lease and figure out how to break the lease legally by giving proper notice and paying whatever the lease requires.

I'd agree that a second floor apartment would be a better idea, though a hassle. (2 kids and an infant and a toddler? In your first post you said 2 nephews. Now you say four kids?) BTW, you asked for suggestions on how to help your sister. It's kind of annoying to get advice, then turn around and say why it is so inconvenient.

And if this is the case you're referring to - it wasn't a drug deal. Teen ordered to stand trial in Hatfield shooting

Don't even worry about the 2008 episode - it was domestic violence, which can occur in the 'best of neighborhoods'. (Ever heard of OJ?)

The rapist got 24-70 years, and as an illegal immigrant, will hopefully be deported. Montco man gets up to 70 years for rape of 6-year-old

ETA: Maybe you and your sister should be buying a house together. Did i mention renting apartments suck!
Where did i say 4 kids? 2 kids an infant about 1 year old and a 2 year old. Why are you assuming i'm lying about how many nephews i have? that's strange.

Also it was a drug deal regardless of what it was it really doesn't matter shooting outside in the parking lot of where she lives is very dangerous and not what most people in society consider safe.

The point is the apartment complex has a serious problem of undesirables the area itself is not the problem. Unfortunately she didn't do enough research before getting in there.

She is buying a house after 1 year is up that was her plan before moving in.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
She signed a lease, there isn't much she can do. Bringing up something that happened two and nine years ago isn't going to get you very far.

She knew where the apartment was, its incumbent on her to research these things. If HER apartment gets broken into or there are more shootings or something, then she might be allowed out of her lease.
Yes she knew the area which i said is a very nice area but obviously knew nothing about an apartment complex other then looking at the website for the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting