Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 43,864 times

Advertisements

So back in April, my tenants reported that there are rats in the property, so I sent pest control service to take care of the problem. While that, the tenant activated a trap accidentally, and gotten into argument with the pest control service. The tenants weren't satisfied with the pest control service, and asked me to switch to a different provider, because nothing has been caught for the whole month. I paid the 1st pest control service the full amount for 3 visits and caught 2 rats (Still more rats remaining according to the tenants), and later sent the 2nd pest control service for inspection. During the inspection, the tenants told the pest control inspector that they are taking care of it themselves (which they never told me they would), and sent the inspector back. I paid the inspector for the inspection fee, and thought I am done with it, but today the tenants came back to me and said they needed pest control service again.
Normally, I'd just pay for the pest control service, but the tenants' action ended up costing me tons of money and the rats are damaging my property at the same time. I am wondering in this case if I can charge tenants for the pest control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 10:34 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
If the property has rats, you need to deal with it. Send the pest control company out to do the job. However, it appears that you are allowing the tenants to control what and how pest control is going to be handled. You appear to be just an order taker and bill payer. Either be the landlord by taking back control or just sit in the corner like a good wittle child and get stomped on. If you decide to be a landlord, we can help, but, if you decide to keep being the wimp, can't help you. Your call!

Old 05-30-2017, 11:05 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Your actions are costing you money. Put your foot down already.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:22 AM

461 posts, read 666,783 times
I would have stuck with the first pest company -- tenants don't get to dictate what company you contract with. I have tenants renewing a lease today and I'm adding language that a fee will be charged if they miss a service. I have offered to pay for the initial contract cost for bugs (roaches, ants, bees), but told them if they want to keep the service they would be responsible to pay $22 per month for on-demand service -- they declined. I, however, will pay for termite and rodent extermination.

I have learned that rats are smart and will "fight" to stay in their new warm habitat. I'm dealing with rats now and the pest guy set 16 traps after my DIY cages didn't work -- don't know what the hell I was thinking. He told me not to disturb their habitat because it takes them awhile to become accustomed to something new in their "home". In two weeks only two teenage rats have been caught. The rats that were caught were by the warm water heater although they have been partying all over the garage.

I'm afraid three visits are probably not enough because those traps needs to be checked weekly or twice weekly and when the activity trails off then the access points must be sealed. I would suggest that if possible you be at the property when the pest guy is there, so tenants will be less likely to interfere with his work.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Do what you need to do on YOUR property and just make sure your tenants are notified of anything affecting them. That's it.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:08 PM

586 posts, read 554,726 times
Rats are good. Have you never seen "Ratatouille?"

Old 05-31-2017, 04:15 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,760,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzoshadow View Post
So back in April, my tenants reported that there are rats in the property, so I sent pest control service to take care of the problem. While that, the tenant activated a trap accidentally, and gotten into argument with the pest control service. The tenants weren't satisfied with the pest control service, and asked me to switch to a different provider, because nothing has been caught for the whole month. I paid the 1st pest control service the full amount for 3 visits and caught 2 rats (Still more rats remaining according to the tenants), and later sent the 2nd pest control service for inspection. During the inspection, the tenants told the pest control inspector that they are taking care of it themselves (which they never told me they would), and sent the inspector back. I paid the inspector for the inspection fee, and thought I am done with it, but today the tenants came back to me and said they needed pest control service again.
Normally, I'd just pay for the pest control service, but the tenants' action ended up costing me tons of money and the rats are damaging my property at the same time. I am wondering in this case if I can charge tenants for the pest control?
You pay for pest extermination services for the tenant?! That's mighty nice of you. I'd say the tenant is an A-hole for abusing your generosity on this. My landlord won't even pay for termite services. Oh well, it's his house after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting