Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:52 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

You have to ask.

I wonder about your garden area though. Are we talking a few hanging plants/window boxes or are we talking a small scale urban agriculture operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 04:38 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Why don't renters just garden out of pots? No need to ask first and they are very easy to move if needed.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You have to ask.

I wonder about your garden area though. Are we talking a few hanging plants/window boxes or are we talking a small scale urban agriculture operation.
It was a bench-table thing (cause the previous land lord wanted the pots on a stand of some kind for the smaller ones) and two larger pots. One of the two large pots had a small hibiscus plant in it. The ones up on the thing had some onions/garlic and the other one had thyme and basil

It was a small experiment, trying to figure out how to grow these plants and finding ones that would grow in the blast of heat in phoenix. None of my planters were affixed to anything that the apartments had.

And I did manage to get to talk with them, after the 24 hour period. I've still gotta get rid of it, but they gave me until monday before they start fining as there are in fact other people who do take up the entire walk way space with some of their stuff so to be 'fair', no one is allowed to have anything.

With a weekend though I'll be able to take them out of here.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:14 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
Call me crazy, but I don't consider a note with a 24-hour notice "or you're fined" to be exactly not nasty. The landlord could have easily taken assessment of the situation and given the tenants a brief rundown of what is and is not allowed per the new rules. To send out a blanket statement (and what if people are out of town)—to everyone and expect almost-immediate compliance is absurd. I have never lived in a complex that didn't give tenants a significant heads-up if there was to be a policy change of any kind.
I doubt it was a policy change, but more of a policy enforcement.

Well, you're crazy..... a generic note sent to x amount of tenants from a corporate owned complex is the norm. There were no nasty words or threats..just simple black and white, comply or be fined.

So your landlord would give you a heads up to the heads up? What if you out of town when the heads up to heads up comes out? Do you demand a heads up to the heads up to the heads up? I mean really..where does it end?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:42 AM

586 posts, read 554,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I doubt it was a policy change, but more of a policy enforcement.

Well, you're crazy..... a generic note sent to x amount of tenants from a corporate owned complex is the norm. There were no nasty words or threats..just simple black and white, comply or be fined.

So your landlord would give you a heads up to the heads up? What if you out of town when the heads up to heads up comes out? Do you demand a heads up to the heads up to the heads up? I mean really..where does it end?
Ummm, is there really any point to your being nasty (and yes, you're being nasty) over such a topic? If someone were out of town and they got a notice from the landlord under the situation described by the OP—then apparently they would be fined.

I find the way that the situation has been handled to be poor. Period. It's my opinion. I'm not trying to win an argument and state that 100% of the time things should be handled this way. In my experience, I have never encountered a landlord or a pmc that has not given me at least several days to several weeks to comply to a policy change.

So there you go, Kim. Enjoy your paper crown and your cup of coffee. I'm not responding any further to your comments.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:21 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
You haven't been given notice that you are violating any codes or ordinances, so do nothing and don't worry about it.

Problem solved.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:14 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
Ummm, is there really any point to your being nasty (and yes, you're being nasty) over such a topic? If someone were out of town and they got a notice from the landlord under the situation described by the OP—then apparently they would be fined.

I find the way that the situation has been handled to be poor. Period. It's my opinion. I'm not trying to win an argument and state that 100% of the time things should be handled this way. In my experience, I have never encountered a landlord or a pmc that has not given me at least several days to several weeks to comply to a policy change.

So there you go, Kim. Enjoy your paper crown and your cup of coffee. I'm not responding any further to your comments.
For what it's worth, I wasn't being nasty; a bit facetious yes, but not nasty.

Anyway...only the OP knows whether or not this is a new policy. While 24 hrs doesn't seem reasonable, if there's a policy already in place that states "no xyz" and there's "xyz" going on, then 24 hours is reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting