Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:08 AM

85 posts, read 473,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Do you know for a fact that the person claiming to be the owner is the owner?

I require a SS number so that I can run the background check. That other apartment will likely come up on the background check. What is your DTI ratio with paying rent on two places?
DTI ratio?

Current apartement is paid by family and the one i am about to rent is going to be paid by student loan and part time job that i am going to start in about two weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm a small landlord and I run background checks, but I use a service that the prospective tenant interacts directly with (i.e. they don't give me their SSN, they put it right into the website). However, background check services come in many different forms so it doesn't surprise me that they asked for it.
Wow, i wish he used service like that. He is local doc who went to my school and prefer students from our school. I would assume he knows what he is doing but still though. Also, he has given out his office email so i dont know who else from his office can access this application you know. People who i am going to roommate with probably thinks i am making big deal about it.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:13 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXTMD View Post
DTI ratio?........
Debt to Income ratio.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:32 AM

902 posts, read 863,454 times
Quote:
DTI ratio?

Current apartement is paid by family and the one i am about to rent is going to be paid by student loan and part time job that i am going to start in about two weeks.
Sorry, what oregonwoods already said. Basically, take all of your fixed monthly expenses and add them together. Divide that number by your gross income. That is your ratio.

Personally, I use my net income when calculating my ratio as I like to have hotdogs with my ramen noodles i.e. a little financial cushion is a great stress reliever.

When I look at an application, I need to see income that equals 3 times the monthly rent or more. Then when I pull the applicant's credit, I can see what other monthly obligations they have. If it's too high, they get rejected.

A good rule of thumb number to shoot for is to have your DTI ratio not exceed 40%. For example, If you make $10,000 gross a month, ideally your fixed outgoing expenses don't exceed $4000/mo. Since your net would be around $7000/mo, that leaves $3000/mo for car insurance, cellphone, food, utilities, etc.

What's going to happen to the other apartment?

Old 07-25-2017, 03:06 PM

586 posts, read 555,028 times
If you're worried that he wants to find out information about you and possibly steal your identity—he'll be able to do it with other means than your social security number.

Has he asked to see your driver's license, so he can actually see you aren't lying from your end? Are you planning to get up in arms if he asks to see it and make a photocopy?

Old 07-25-2017, 03:11 PM

888 posts, read 890,283 times
The OP shares how he and a bunch of people he met on FB want to rent a house. Unless the landlord is facing a tough market, I can't imagine the OP and his FB friends making the short list.

I can tell you what I do when I get a rental inquiry with this profile. I say I'll be in touch. Funny thing is that the touch never seems to be.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
If you're worried that he wants to find out information about you and possibly steal your identity—he'll be able to do it with other means than your social security number.

Has he asked to see your driver's license, so he can actually see you aren't lying from your end? Are you planning to get up in arms if he asks to see it and make a photocopy?

Lol i dont care if he ask for my license and make copy of it.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
The OP shares how he and a bunch of people he met on FB want to rent a house. Unless the landlord is facing a tough market, I can't imagine the OP and his FB friends making the short list.

I can tell you what I do when I get a rental inquiry with this profile. I say I'll be in touch. Funny thing is that the touch never seems to be.

Haha, we aren't shady peope like you are thinking. We are future healthcare professionals, we have been to extensive backgroud check before we started our respective program. He has lot of people want to get his place but he prefers us.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Wow, i wish he used service like that. He is local doc who went to my school and prefer students from our school. I would assume he knows what he is doing but still though. Also, he has given out his office email so i dont know who else from his office can access this application you know. People who i am going to roommate with probably thinks i am making big deal about it.
I can tell you right now most LLs will want personal info. The reason its wanted it isn't to steal credit. There are plenty of anonymous ways to get that type of info for someone who chooses that lifestyle. For me I'm basically giving someone I know pretty much nothing about the keys and occupancy to 1/2-1+ million dollars of property. You can bet I want to know who that person is. Or as much as I can.

Quote:
Haha, we aren't shady peope like you are thinking. We are future healthcare professionals, we have been to extensive backgroud check before we started our respective program. He has lot of people want to get his place but he prefers us.
Its not about shady. It's about being sued for not applying the same requirements from every applicant. It's applying the same process to every applicant or tenant. It's about protecting a investment someone made. It's nothing against you personally

Quote:
DTI ratio?

And if your family stops paying or you lose your job your DTI will be a factor. Dude a LL has to look at EVERY angle because if they don't it's just that much harder.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 07-25-2017 at 05:02 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 04:43 PM

888 posts, read 890,283 times
Quote:
Never thought you were shady. I personally believe the fewer the occupants the better so far as wear and tear goes, all other things being equal which they aren't always. My apologies if I offended you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting