Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 AM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times

Advertisements

You cannot expect others to pay for you. Don't rent anything you cannot afford. Find the money somewhere. Your roomie is not responsible to pay for you. Get a cheaper place you can afford. I lived off noodles and potato soup for a while when I had my first place. I would have never thought of not paying my bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 12:39 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1324 View Post
I was going to get it notarized by the bank. Is that a good idea? Also, I'm really afraid of him getting angry. Is there anything he can do immediately to either void the notice/evict me sooner?
Getting it notarized is not beneficial in this instance.

However, you could sent it via certified return receipt US mail. This will provide you with proof that the notice was received by him. If you go this route, do it TODAY so that it's received tomorrow or Saturday. He cannot legally require you to vacate before your notice is up.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Before I "jump to conclusions", can you clarify please: Are you a tenant without a lease? Ergo....A room mate just handing over money each month without any guidelines on tenancy?
Yes, totally confused by the OP's post. Who's renting from whom?

Old 09-21-2017, 12:53 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You cannot expect others to pay for you. Don't rent anything you cannot afford. Find the money somewhere. Your roomie is not responsible to pay for you. Get a cheaper place you can afford. I lived off noodles and potato soup for a while when I had my first place. I would have never thought of not paying my bills.
Yup, move down the housing scale with your income. That's basic.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:55 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Yup, move down the housing scale with your income. That's basic.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:56 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
You cannot afford the rent? Give notice in writing immediately. Take a picture of it, send it certified mail, return receipt requested. Move out by date specified.

It has nothing to do with who can afford what. Even if roommate were wealthy, and you had no income, you ha e no right to stay there.

Or call his bluff, get evicted, and have that follow you through life. You won't rent a decent place again for a decade.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1324 View Post

P.S He say's he "literally" won't be able to eat if he had to cover the whole thing by himself; mind you, he decided to repurpose the 3rd for an entertainment room and not rent it out. Either way I'm calling his bluff; they buy wine, cheese, take-out, etc. all of the time. I'm literally reduced to eating eggs and rice b/e I'm left with so little; I have to have gas and pay (let's not even get into the cost of recent car repairs) my phone bill. By "under the table" I mean they literally had me put my name and signature on a piece of paper (supposed to pay for occupancy form, got it for free) ; I handed it in missing all of my income information; she said she used the lease holders (they didn't even do a credit check). Doesn't that void the contract since they never confirmed I met the requirements (no that it matters)
So he cannot eat cheese and drink wine because you are not able to pay your bills?? Is this a joke?

Old 09-21-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Yes, totally confused by the OP's post. Who's renting from whom?
OP is subleasing a room in a place where someone else is on the lease if I understood correctly.

OP cannot pay his rent because ... uhm ... poor planning ... and is now looking for excuses so he can stay for free or get out without notice. He thinks because he is a student and doesn't want to take up a second job, his landlord - the actual tenant of the apartment - should pay for his room since he has enough money to do so.

Or his landlord should rent out the other vacant room. I am not sure though, why this should affect OP. Oh, he thinks if the other room is rented out, he doesn't need to pay for his room ...

Because his landlord said he is going to be in a financial hardship also if OP doesn't pay for the room he is living in, which seems untrue because landlord dares to drink wine - OP thinks he is entitled to stay for free or bail without paying.

Did I sum this up correctly?

Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 PM

18 posts, read 15,818 times
Quote:
OP is subleasing a room in a place where someone else is on the lease if I understood correctly.

OP cannot pay his rent because ... uhm ... poor planning ... and is now looking for excuses so he can stay for free or get out without notice. He thinks because he is a student and doesn't want to take up a second job, his landlord - the actual tenant of the apartment - should pay for his room since he has enough money to do so.

Or his landlord should rent out the other vacant room. I am not sure though, why this should affect OP. Oh, he thinks if the other room is rented out, he doesn't need to pay for his room ...

Because his landlord said he is going to be in a financial hardship also if OP doesn't pay for the room he is living in, which seems untrue because landlord dares to drink wine - OP thinks he is entitled to stay for free or bail without paying.

Did I sum this up correctly?
I'm trying to move out before I end up behind. I've already payed my entire rent for the month of September; I'm determined to get out before the next billing period "October". He says he'll have a hard time without me, but I seriously doubt it. I've even gone the extra mile and found 2 potential roommates for him. If one agrees before October 1st I'm out home free; if not, I'm still out home free (no need to pay Octobers rent). I have found a way cheaper place. I don't plan to leave him high and dry; I will calculate the cost exactly 30 days out from when I administered the notice and pay him for that exact time. Anything outside of that window is none of my concern. I believe this to be a much better alternative; than continuing to scrounge up a months rent a lnd putting nothing back or not paying on time (it's a burden on him and me)

Old 09-21-2017, 05:40 PM

18 posts, read 15,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Getting it notarized is not beneficial in this instance.

However, you could sent it via certified return receipt US mail. This will provide you with proof that the notice was received by him. If you go this route, do it TODAY so that it's received tomorrow or Saturday. He cannot legally require you to vacate before your notice is up.
I have a notice of delivery I have signed to accompany the 7 day notice (Copies of both). All of this is by the books; I've checked with a real estate attorney. Lease or no lease (in my case) the tenant reserves the right to administer a notice to quit. I've already payed all of September, I'm trying to get out before the next billing period October 1st, so I don't have to struggle anymore. I've even already found 2 potential roommates for him. I'm not trying to leave the guy destitute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting