Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 12:06 PM

150 posts, read 154,281 times

Advertisements

This is in NC, after a year rental the tenant left the house. During rental tenant got a parrot and a dog and forgot to inform the landlord and pet fees were not paid. Now landlord deducted them from deposit: twice of pet fee for parrot (she said since the parrot was not allowed pet) and another pet fee plus $50 for the dog ( she said $50 is late penalty for pet fee), is this really legal to do? Twice pet fees and deducting them from my deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 12:14 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
I would do same as LL.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:33 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Not a lot of sympathy for tenants who sneak in unauthorized pets.

Really? The tenant "forgot" to inform the landlord that they were adding a dog and a parrot to the household?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:49 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCD999 View Post
is this really legal to do? Twice pet fees and deducting them from my deposit.
Might be, might not be.

What does your lease say about pets and pet fees?

That's what counts.

Quote it word for word.

If you didn't comply with the lease the LL is entitled to the compensation.

But if the LL is making things up that aren't in the lease, you can go to court and maybe win some of it back.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Well, considering my lease says that if a tenant sneaks in a pet (or roommate) without permission, it is an automatic $1000 fine per, plus grounds for eviction, I think your landlord has gone really easy on you.

Sneaking in a pet implies that you think your landlord is an idiot and won't catch you, which is a slap in the face to the landlord. Can't blame the landlord for imposing whatever penalties they legally can.

And considering it is stated in my lease in 3 places, and we do face to face lease signings where this is clearly stated as being VERY important, and I STILL have several a year who do this and get caught, I don't believe anyone who tells me they just "forgot". Tenants know whether they are allowed to have pets or not, and whether they have to get permission or not (Note: almost all landlords require you to get permission FIRST, not ask forgiveness after). They don't forget, they make a choice to keep their mouth shut.

*Edited to add that I agree with Jack. Ultimately it depends on what, exactly, your lease says. But if the lease and state law don't contradict it, I don't think it is at all unreasonable.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:46 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
A person should definitely inform their LL about pets. Yes, they are entitled to the extra fees.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:55 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
If you got back a penny of your deposit after having violated the lease by bringing in pets, you're lucky. However, that doesn't mean that you won't prevail in court. Might be worth a try, especially if the LL cannot prove damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting