Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 2,705 times

Advertisements

I have a bad roommate (former girlfriend when she was sober years ago)who smokes meth 24 hours a day every day, she invites other drug users over at all hours of the night and occasionally becomes violent with me and also threatens me with violence from the other drug addicts she brings over.

Needless to say, I want out ASAP - But she claims I have to provide HER with 30 days notice even though we are both on the lease - I am not her tenant. Is she right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 04:46 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,840,970 times
You need to talk to your landlord. Even if you vacate with notice to your GF, you are still responsible for rent and damages until the lease expires. Have you called the police and reported any of these meth parties?

Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Your responsibility is tied to the landlord/property owner (whoever holds the lease). THEY are the only ones you want to deal with. But it should be a pretty quick out if you want, the vast majority have a "no criminal activities" clause where you'll be evicted thanks to the dealings of your rooommate.

As it stands right now, you are 100% on the hook for any fees, repairs, unpaid rent, etc... and I do mean 100%. If she doesn't pay a cent, you owe it all. Don't pay and it goes on both of you, unless the lease was written where you and she are mutually excluded (a lease each, not both sharing one).

Talk to the landlord, they are your first/best option for getting out. Understand that you have to have your roommates consent to change the lease. What might happen is if you alert the LL, they may do the cop bit, eviction but not against you since you came forward and will almost certainly save them some money on repairs.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 PM

384 posts, read 376,953 times
If you call the police the girlfriend will go to jail and you will end up possibly paying all the rent. I would give her the 30 day notice now and pay her for the month and leave asap. Be thankful that all you have to pay is a month and run fast , this doesn't sound like a safe situation.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
If you call the police the girlfriend will go to jail and you will end up possibly paying all the rent. I would give her the 30 day notice now and pay her for the month and leave asap. Be thankful that all you have to pay is a month and run fast , this doesn't sound like a safe situation.
Bad Advice!

As stated by Real landlords, you have a lease with your name on it. The only person who can relieve you of any legal and financial obligation is the landlord. Your roommate is just a co-tenant; nothing more. If you leave without the approval of the landlord, your roommate can stop paying rent, cause all sorts of damages and when the time comes to evict her, you will also be named. You can end up with a judgement against you for the entire amount owed. Do you want t take that risk?

Do not just give the roommate notice and move thinking all is sweet and nice! If you need to move for safety reasons, immediately notify the landlord of the problem and ask to be released otherwise you'll need to bring the property and drug dealings to the attention of the police.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:19 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,915,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKnowEverything View Post
I have a bad roommate (former girlfriend when she was sober years ago)who smokes meth 24 hours a day every day, she invites other drug users over at all hours of the night and occasionally becomes violent with me and also threatens me with violence from the other drug addicts she brings over.

Needless to say, I want out ASAP - But she claims I have to provide HER with 30 days notice even though we are both on the lease - I am not her tenant. Is she right?
I can't imagine why anybody is answering your question without knowing what state this is happening in because landlord tenant laws differ from state to state and where one state might give you a remedy, others might not.

In addition to revealing your state, it would help if you revealed what, exactly, your lease says about early termination of your tenancy.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 2,705 times
California - and I apologise for posting this topic.. It looks like I will be stuck here - If I leave she is screwed due to the 5 cats.. I doubt she will find another roommate and I don't want to see her end up on the streets and the cats in the pound. (sigh) life is just crud sometimes.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:21 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,709,161 times
Geez, what next? On top of everything else now you tell us she has 5 cats?

Does the LL know all of this, or any of it? You might just end up getting evicted anyway if the LL finds out even 1/2 of what is going on and then you will be VERY sorry when trying to find another apt with an eviction on your record. So, just staying and feeling sorry for her could very well come back to bite you in the arse big time. I would suggest that you somehow get all of the problems taken care of before the LL ever finds out.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:39 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Is this your circus? Are those your monkeys? (or cats?) No? deal with the landlord and then the police if and only if the LL insists. The legal system will eat you alive. Get out and stay out.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:15 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
If your name is on the lease, you're in trouble. Both you and your ex GF need to give notice as delineated in the lease, and BOTH of you need to leave, to end YOUR responsibility. And that's if your lease is up. If your name isn't on the lease, and you don't have anything in writing with the ex GF, then you can just leave.

If your name is on the lease, you might be able to get someone else to move in and the ex-GF and the new person sign a new lease with LL, thus relieving you of your responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting