Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 04:05 PM

109 posts, read 142,876 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I looked at an apartment where the previous tenant started a cooking fire. Some cabinets above the stove had to be replaced. Additionally, they had not scrubbed down the wall and simply painted over any smoke evidence. Is there any risk of smoke inhalation or other risks from living in an apartment where there was a previous fire? (Also, the landlord is going to scrape off where it was painted over, scrub, and repaint the wall before any tenant moves in.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 04:48 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,249,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuscoCasa View Post
Hi all,

I looked at an apartment where the previous tenant started a cooking fire. Some cabinets above the stove had to be replaced. Additionally, they had not scrubbed down the wall and simply painted over any smoke evidence. Is there any risk of smoke inhalation or other risks from living in an apartment where there was a previous fire? (Also, the landlord is going to scrape off where it was painted over, scrub, and repaint the wall before any tenant moves in.)
Unpaired smoke damage can leave toxins behind - consider it third-hand smoke.

Even if the landlord does as he says, I would be concerned that other shortcuts were taken. I'd recommend that you find another apartment.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:56 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,069,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuscoCasa View Post
Hi all,

He's going to scrape paint off the wall? I assume this wall is drywall...how is he going to scrape paint off of drywall? It would make more sense to remove the damaged area and replace it.

I'd pass on this unit...if he does what he says he's going to do, you'll be able to smell that smoke when the conditions in the unit are just right. Kinda like smelling old cat pee that was 'professionally treated'...get the humidity and temp just right and you'll smell pee for days. Eww.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:56 AM

13,720 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
He's going to scrape paint off the wall? I assume this wall is drywall...how is he going to scrape paint off of drywall? It would make more sense to remove the damaged area and replace it.

I'd pass on this unit...if he does what he says he's going to do, you'll be able to smell that smoke when the conditions in the unit are just right. Kinda like smelling old cat pee that was 'professionally treated'...get the humidity and temp just right and you'll smell pee for days. Eww.
I agree that you might smell some smoke for a long time...

That said, if the price is right, I don't think I'd worry too much about it, assuming you can deal with the inconvenience and light a scented candle or put in a glade plug in.

Now, if I were severely asthmatic, or sensitive to smells like some people are, I would pass.

Think about the toxin argument; if it were that dangerous, wouldn't people be getting sick left and right from candles or fireplaces?

Old 12-05-2017, 09:21 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,249,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I agree that you might smell some smoke for a long time...

That said, if the price is right, I don't think I'd worry too much about it, assuming you can deal with the inconvenience and light a scented candle or put in a glade plug in.

Now, if I were severely asthmatic, or sensitive to smells like some people are, I would pass.

Think about the toxin argument; if it were that dangerous, wouldn't people be getting sick left and right from candles or fireplaces?
Candles and wood are simple fuels that result in complete combustion. Houses consist of complex fuels of synthetic materials i.e., wiring, plastics, PVC pipe (produces hydrogen cyanide when burned) that result in incomplete combustion leaving behind acid deposits, soot and other toxins.

I have a degree in Fire Science and trained as a fire inspector before realizing there's no money in it. Trust me, no one should occupy a fire damaged residence that has not undergone professional restoration.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 12-05-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 12-05-2017, 07:21 PM

109 posts, read 142,876 times
Thank you all! While this place would have been a great deal, after reading Mad_Jasper's knowledgeable posts I don't feel comfortable going with it. I am also unsure if the landlord would do everything he said he would, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting