Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,289 times

Advertisements

I manage a property and have a current rental agreement with my tenant which specifically states no subletting or even friends staying for more than a couple of days without my written permission. That tenant called me tonite to say that she has had an older lady staying with her to help pay utilities for the last couple of weeks and that lady has now threatened the tenant and and it has become a domestic dispute. how do i, as the property manager, get this person out of the home? the state police, county police and city police have been called and none of them will show up??? Do i need to file an unlawful detainer on this squatter? what are my options here in michigan?? please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 10:10 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Evict your tenant for breaking the rules. They will both have to go.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,289 times
is there any other way around that? i like the tenant but want the squatter to go. thanks so much for your quick reply :-)

Old 12-21-2017, 10:29 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Yes, have your tenant kick her out. The unauthorized person (to you) is a legal tenant of your tenant, so if you want your tenant to remain but not their tenant, you have your tenant evict their tenant. If you get involved, you have to evict your tenant as well. An important item, the unauthorized additional tenant IS NOT a squatter because they were given permission by the tenant to reside in the unit, that makes her an occupant, unauthorized occupant, but a legal occupant none the less. You know this is Landlord 101 stuff.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:06 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsthunderhead View Post
That tenant called me tonite to say that she has had an older lady staying with her...
Is this the FIRST time or was that preamble because it happens repeatedly?

Quote:
...that lady has now threatened the tenant and and it has become a domestic dispute.
the state police, county police and city police have been called and none of them will show up
Nonsense.

But if your tenant actually does feel threatened they need to swear out a warrant.
(I suspect they aren't really being threatened or would have done so.)

Quote:
how do i, as the property manager, get this person out of the home?

As the property manager
... all you can do is to start the eviction process.

Do note however that this is a PROCESS not an instant result.
And will require evicting your tenant as well (who probably doesn't qualify to be there).
A Mid Winter empty in Michigan? oh joy!

Old 12-22-2017, 05:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
I manage a property and have a current rental agreement with my tenant which specifically states no subletting or even friends staying for more than a couple of days without my written permission. That tenant called me tonite to say that she has had an older lady staying with her to help pay utilities for the last couple of weeks and that lady has now threatened the tenant and and it has become a domestic dispute. how do i, as the property manager, get this person out of the home? the state police, county police and city police have been called and none of them will show up??? Do i need to file an unlawful detainer on this squatter? what are my options here in michigan?? please help.

You need to evict the both of them. You have a lease with your tenant and your tenant has a 'lease' with their 'tenant'. Get rid of your tenant and you get rid of their 'tenant' (she's not a squatter)....it's a 2 for 1 deal.

It's obvious your tenant can't afford the unit on their own and will just find someone else to move...do yourself a favor and get rid of them both.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:56 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
You say you manage a property but do you own that property? If you're not the owner, contact them and ask them how they'd like for you to proceed. Start the eviction procedure for both tenant and illegal occupant or tell the tenant she has so many days to get the illegal occupant out.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:42 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Quote:
is there any other way around that? i like the tenant but want the squatter to go. thanks so much for your quick reply :-)
You could try sending your tenant a certified letter indicating the lease violation of having an unauthorized person residing on the premises and giving her x days to remedy the problem or she will be evicted and indicating its the first and final warning she will ever be given regarding such an issue. Also indicate any future overnight guest for any time period more than 18 hours must be approved in advance.

Then if may work if she shows this to her roommate. Also you will have it on record if she ever does this again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting