Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 08:01 PM

8 posts, read 16,129 times

Advertisements

We have a tenant in our apartment building who is becoming a HUGE problem. Amongst many issues with her, she has been putting a bird feeder up, and the birds are making an absolute mess in the backyard below. The seeds they fling around has clogged the drain we have in the back several times, and there are bird droppings EVERYWHERE. She is insisting that she isn't damaging our property, which I honestly dont understand at all. And instead of stopping like we are asking, she is offering to clean the backyard mess, but we do not want to give her access to the backyard because she (this is one of the other issues we have with her) constantly feeds cats back there, which also make a mess and attract opossums and rats and mice. She has resorted to lowering down plates of food and boxes for the cats to sleep in via a rope from her apartment window, which we have also asked her to stop doing. (She leaves them all over the front of the house which she wont stop doing either despite repeatedly being asked to).

She is telling us that us denying her access to the backyard is illegal...is this true??? I have never heard of that before. She says its for safety reasons but the backyard backs up to other backyards in all directions, theres literally nowhere to go...her apartment also (obviously) has a fire escape. Are her accusations of this being illegal true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 05:00 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaydb View Post
. Are her accusations of this being illegal true?
No, unless your lease provides for use of the property, not just the apartment

Old 12-30-2017, 06:09 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
Illegal? I doubt it, BUT...
Does the lease address this issue? If so, what does it say?
What do the landlord/tenant laws in YOUR STATE and/or locality say?
For legal advice, contact a local attorney who is well versed in the issue.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Rending is where you pay a premium for temporary, impaired use of property. i.e. she shouldn't expect access to the backyard.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:22 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Dam good luck as it's NYC but I'd start eviction proceedings if she doesn't stop, what she is doing is a nuisance to the entire neighborhood.
My son and dil had a 3 story brownstone in Bed Sty the 3rd floor was rented and tenant did not have access to back yard.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:20 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
How much longer is her lease for? When its up, just non renew, and get in a new tenant who doesnt do all of that stuff.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:27 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,235,904 times
She is creating a nuisance and a health hazard; send her a cease and desist and if not sue her in small claims. No need to evict just get the courts to intervene.

You could try calling the cops for the littering as the cat boxes and food dishes are trash.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:00 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
Duplicate post, folks.

Discussion in progress at:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...d-allowed.html

Old 12-30-2017, 07:02 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,614 times
I’d double check the lease. Having access to backyard space in nyc is heaven lol

Old 01-02-2018, 07:06 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,833,772 times
Based on my lease, I can deny a tenant the use of the common areas if they abuse it. Feeding cats is a problem I am dealing with right now and I absolutely hate it. It never fails that someone will take pity on a feral cat and bring it in so it doesn't get cold. Immediate eviction is the result if I find out about it. No questions.

I'd remove the bird feeder and explain to her that feeding wildlife is a sanitary issue and will not be tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting