Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 02:40 AM

388 posts, read 307,611 times

Advertisements

I posted a month or so ago about new upstairs neighbors and their whining, barking dog. We learned that the dog is allowed per their lease, which is extremely frustrating since what we signed up for was a no-pets apartment. The fact that the property manager didn't seem to care to do anything about the dog or the copious amounts of other noise caused us to find a new place to live, fast, and we'll be moving next week.

This situation got me thinking about expected behaviour from 2nd floor tenants. Obviously one can't expect silence in a multi-family building, but we've lived beneath at least four other families in the past (two in this building) and have never experienced this level of noise. Today it was the three kids running around constantly for eight hours while mom was at work, then after mom got home more running around and very loud music and what sounded like moving furniture until 11:30 when my husband finally snapped and yelled at them. Her answer was "well, I have a 2 year old" but for heaven's sake, your 2 year old should be in bed at 11:30!

Is it not common courtesy to keep your kids from running around, especially late at night, when there are people living below you? Or to keep your music at a level that can't be heard in other units? I hate to be the complaining tenant but this really was getting ridiculous.

Anyway, the new place has a much better layout, gorgeous hardwood floors and a beautiful big kitchen, so even though the process of moving sucks, I'm.sort of glad our hand was forced. And it's a SFH so no upstairs neighbors or even shared walls to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 10:55 AM

453 posts, read 410,740 times
Good for you. There is no reason to put up with that if you don’t have to. The LL chose to allow pets now and they had to expect they may lose tenants that signed up for pet free. That is their choice, now they have to find new tenants.

I can’t even stand it when I stay in a hotel. Living underneath someone who is stomping around at all hours just doesn’t seem like a sustainable living arrangement to me. And there is little you can do to stop it

Old 06-02-2018, 01:32 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Sure. Common courtesy. But if you really expect common courtesy, your expectations are unrealistic. Self centered people don't have any common courtesy because life is all about them.

There is nothing landlords can do about loud children, service animals, or emotional support animals because all of those are protected by federal law. Any tenant can get a dog (or pig, or pony, or ostrich ) into a no pet apartment by simply declaring it to be an emotional support aninal. There is nothing a landlord can do to keep them out.

If you don't like living next door to them, contact your congressman or senator. It won't do you any good to complain to the landlord because federal law prevents the landlord from fixing the problem.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:22 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is nothing landlords can do about loud children, service animals, or emotional support animals because all of those are protected by federal law. Any tenant can get a dog (or pig, or pony, or ostrich ) into a no pet apartment by simply declaring it to be an emotional support aninal. There is nothing a landlord can do to keep them out.

If you don't like living next door to them, contact your congressman or senator. It won't do you any good to complain to the landlord because federal law prevents the landlord from fixing the problem.
That is total B.S. There may be different laws/rules when initially renting to someone however, once they are living there those tenants are not above the law when it comes to making other people's lives miserable or breaking the rules. They don't get a free pass to act any way they choose nor do they get free reign to disrupt others lives in any way that they want to. All of them can be evicted just like anyone else can be if they don't abide by their applicable rental laws and the rules of their lease.

All you need is a LL that has balls enough to stand up to them, knows the laws, has some common sense and does not walk on eggshells by falsely thinking that those types of tenants are invincible and can't be touched.

I have seen you mention time and time again that there is nothing that can be done and you are absolutely 100% wrong.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:13 PM

143 posts, read 177,992 times
Default Same old story

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
I posted a month or so ago about new upstairs neighbors and their whining, barking dog. We learned that the dog is allowed per their lease, which is extremely frustrating since what we signed up for was a no-pets apartment. The fact that the property manager didn't seem to care to do anything about the dog or the copious amounts of other noise caused us to find a new place to live, fast, and we'll be moving next week.

This situation got me thinking about expected behaviour from 2nd floor tenants. Obviously one can't expect silence in a multi-family building, but we've lived beneath at least four other families in the past (two in this building) and have never experienced this level of noise. Today it was the three kids running around constantly for eight hours while mom was at work, then after mom got home more running around and very loud music and what sounded like moving furniture until 11:30 when my husband finally snapped and yelled at them. Her answer was "well, I have a 2 year old" but for heaven's sake, your 2 year old should be in bed at 11:30!

Is it not common courtesy to keep your kids from running around, especially late at night, when there are people living below you? Or to keep your music at a level that can't be heard in other units? I hate to be the complaining tenant but this really was getting ridiculous.

Anyway, the new place has a much better layout, gorgeous hardwood floors and a beautiful big kitchen, so even though the process of moving sucks, I'm.sort of glad our hand was forced. And it's a SFH so no upstairs neighbors or even shared walls to worry about.
You quickly learn in apartments that people are NOT basically good (just reading the news should bear that out). They tend to do whatever they can get away with and quiet is a matter of luck too often.

Four things that should be banned in all apartments that aren't solid cement. This is only a partial list of course.
  1. Dogs
  2. Subwoofers
  3. Power tools
  4. Ghetto people

Old 06-03-2018, 01:37 PM

25 posts, read 20,636 times
I had a similar problem in the past, too. One night I couldn't sleep at all because they kept dropping and rolling things onto the floor during the whole night. I told the manager about it and he said they had a rescue dog and their apartment was full of stuff and that this was not appropriate tenant behavior. He said they were warned and would be evicted if this continued. So I was fortunate, probably because this place was in a high-demand area near a university campus so they would be able to easily fill the space.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:23 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoven View Post
Four things that should be banned in all apartments that aren't solid cement. This is only a partial list of course.
  1. Dogs
  2. Subwoofers
  3. Power tools
  4. Ghetto people
Regardless if the apartment is solid cement, the subwoofer will go through it like a piece of cake. People think there is such a thing as sound barriers in apartment buildings, not with today's technology. You turn something up to full volume and multiple units can hear that "thump."

Power tools are something one has to deal with eventually when the building eventually needs renovations or repairs.

Dogs, never lived near any of them.

Ghetto people. This is tricky, because even ghetto people can figure out how to get on expensive leases at expensive places. I've been in expensive places and have heard weekly domestic disputes, ghetto stuff, smoking weed, loud music. Only way to solve that is to get a nice expensive house with far neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting