Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 03:25 PM

892 posts, read 484,708 times

Advertisements

there is new management in an SRO in S.F. with a 'building-wide' inspection from the health department soon. what is involved with this inspection that tenants need to be aware of, and prepare for? it is supposed to take six hours for three floors of units (60 tenants, two kitchens) with pest control issues for treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 03:44 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
60 tenants share only 2 kitchens? please explain SRO - standing room only?

Old 07-04-2018, 04:54 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Yeah, this^^. Plus, why don't you just ask them what the inspection entails instead of a bunch of strangers from all over trying to second guess? I would assume that the notice that you got also has a number to call if any questions.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:05 PM

268 posts, read 272,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
SRO = Single room occupancy hotel

Old 07-04-2018, 09:59 PM

lol..."standing room only"

Old 07-04-2018, 10:02 PM

(Ignore function for rude posts)

Old 07-04-2018, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the SRO definition, CrabbyAppleton : )

Old 07-04-2018, 10:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I have lived in subsidized senior housing for almost 5 years now, and in my 3rd one and hopefully my last one.

I haven't had a health inspection, but have had lots of other inspections by management, the state, county, HUD, on and on.

The inspections are not a big deal from my experience. They usually come in and have a check off list of things. They usually do things like check to see if there are water leaks, make sure there is water and water pressure in faucets and shower, make sure the stove and oven works, and the fridge and the hot water heater, the smoke alarms - that sort of thing. They'll usually get in and out really quickly.

So, just ask them if you need to clean and what they'll be checking, so you can get stuff out of the way.

My last inspection was just to get the model number off of my ceiling fan, because certain models had been recalled, and they asked me to be sure there was nothing under it, so the maintenance guy could use a ladder to check it out.

If you guys have pest issues, they may just check where pests hang out - maybe under the sink, etc. I haven't had to let any pest guys into this building so far, but the last two had regular pest spraying every month, and they just gave us notice they'd be coming in to spray. You could also opt out of the spray and choose the pest traps instead, if you wanted to.

Anyway, I don't think you have to worry. Just ask what they'll be checking and if you have to do anything ahead of time.

I grumble about the inspections, but honestly, it makes me clean up, so they're not a completely bad thing. I hate housework, so sometimes I need a kick in the rear to do some deeper cleaning. They don't require it, but I don't want them to see my place a cluttery, dusty mess.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:57 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
My apartment manager let me know HUD inspectors will be inspecting apartments at the beginning of August, but she will give me 48 hour notice for the actual date. They asked her a lot of questions about the handicap apartments, one of which I have. She gave me a heads up to give me time, I suppose.

While my apartment is not dirty, it can get messy & I like it to be nice for inspections. Not that it's bad but will sometimes be messy.

I'm assuming the inspections are to ensure everything is up to date & working. I also assume they want to make sure the handicap apartments are just that - easily accessible space for a person who is handicapped. They would have to be in compliance with regulations.

SRO's are also funded & I would think they would be inspected to make sure the units are in compliance with state/federal laws.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Great feedback, Thanks so much, Meo!!
and NY Annie--Thank you for giving me a much-needed chuckle in a stressful situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting