Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,128 times

Advertisements

OK Here is my predictament. My husband was washing a pair of socks in his bathroom sink.The stopper was not in when he was doing that. The doorbell rang and he went to see who was there. Fedex and it was his new Smart Phone.Well, he forgot about the water running in the sink until a afew hours later when he went in there to use the toilet. Water was an inch deep EVERYWHERE in the bathroom. It also leaked down really bad in to the apartments below us.(we are on the third floor of 3 floors. There is a drainage hole in the sink.Shouldn't that have kept the water from going over the sink onto the loor that bad??? Even if the socks covered the drain??? Are we liable for all the work they are doing to make sure no mold starts growing? thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 01:55 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Yes - your fault - your bill.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:20 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,021 times
ouch. interested to hear the repair outcome of this. following. Hole is only so big, if you had the faucet pressure high enough, could totally overflow excess out.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:22 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Yes and I hope you have rental insurance.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:40 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Yes. You are liable.

The good news is that the Liability coverage on your renter’s policy will kick in here and cover you.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:49 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
I'm sorry, who washes a single pair of socks in the bathroom sink?

Old 07-14-2018, 06:18 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm sorry, who washes a single pair of socks in the bathroom sink?
Don't get out much do you? Favorite socks, not enough laundry to warrant running a load, guess what....wash the pair you want to wear the next day in a sink. Normally it would save water, but not in this case by a long shot! Hope your insurance is up to date OP.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:31 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post

The good news is that the Liability coverage on your renter’s policy will kick in here and cover you.
No, it doesn't.

This is an exclusion from the Liability section of an HO-4 Renters Policy:

F. Coverage E – PersonalLiability
Coverage E doesnot apply to:
3. "Propertydamage" to property rented to, occupied or used by or in the care of an"insured". This exclusion does not apply to "property damage"caused by fire, smoke or explosion;

Old 07-14-2018, 07:43 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasollano2 View Post
OK Here is my predictament. My husband was washing a pair of socks in his bathroom sink.The stopper was not in when he was doing that. The doorbell rang and he went to see who was there. Fedex and it was his new Smart Phone.Well, he forgot about the water running in the sink until a afew hours later when he went in there to use the toilet. Water was an inch deep EVERYWHERE in the bathroom. It also leaked down really bad in to the apartments below us.(we are on the third floor of 3 floors. There is a drainage hole in the sink.Shouldn't that have kept the water from going over the sink onto the loor that bad??? Even if the socks covered the drain??? Are we liable for all the work they are doing to make sure no mold starts growing? thanks!!!!
"That bad" doesn't really make a difference. Any less bad would still have caused damage.

The socks covering the drain couldn't compensate with the amount of water coming out of the faucet.

If you forgot and left something on the stove top or in the oven and it burned, and the alarms and the automatic sprinkler (not everywhere so don't rely on that) were working and there was smoke damage and burned items in the building....it would be your fault because you were the source.

Same with the socks.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:04 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Don't get out much do you? Favorite socks, not enough laundry to warrant running a load, guess what....wash the pair you want to wear the next day in a sink. Normally it would save water, but not in this case by a long shot! Hope your insurance is up to date OP.

Yep, I get out a lot; but I guess I have enough panties and socks to not to have ever needed to do this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting