Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 508 times

Advertisements

Hi!
So the whole rental process was very rushed so the contracts are filled out in pen and also signed in pen ... and I gave the tenant a copy of the lease with fresh ink even in the fields that I filled out and check marked things about the rental unit. I am getting scared that they may tamper with the copy since they could easily find the same colour pen and change stuff. Thoughts????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 02:14 PM

268 posts, read 273,033 times
Years ago I was in a roommate situation. I made a copy of the lease agreement without the knowledge of the landlord. I wasn't trying to be sneaky, just covering my a**. I ended up suing them for the return of my rent and deposit after I moved out. LL pulls out a completely different agreement with tons of stuff added to it. They explained to the the judge that we "signed 2 leases" and I agreed to all the changes (that benefited them, but not me). The judge laughed the LL out of court. I won everything I was asking for. I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't hand over an original again. Let them take a picture of the lease or give them an actual copy for their records.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:41 PM

486 posts, read 416,824 times
Did you and the tenant sign the copy you gave them?

Did you and the tenant sign the copy you have?

If so and they match, you have your record if they try to pull anything.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:56 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
On a document with hand written provisions, both LL and tenant sign the document and each has a copy of the document. If there are changes made after that, the changes need to be initialed by both parties for the changes to be valid. No one can make changes without both initials. Your safe stop worrying.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:48 PM

29 posts, read 60,079 times
I agree with Shane above and as long as you have your copy you are fine. If they alter their copy it would be noted in front of a judge.. you're safe
PS NEVER RUSH A LEASE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting