Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 10:17 AM

48 posts, read 40,483 times

Advertisements

Hi all new here. Please for give spelling and grammar I some times get carried away and my spelling is some times rubbish. (mainly grammar lol)

6 month ago I moved into my apartment which my parents own and are my land lord. They have had this apartment for 5 years and 2 people have rented this in that time. The last people what was in handed in there notice that they wanted to move out even be for the people above me moved in and these where in this apartment for a good month and half with the new people in above.

Tomorrow is exactly 6 months since I moved into this apartment and its been hell since with them above me. First night I was here they kept me up until 3AM with banging on the walls and opening closing same cupboard over and over again which they still do today. They have big parties where about 10 people go and it sounds like they run and jump and flying leaps into wall. The first party happened on my first weakened which at one point I thought the roof was going come down banging that hard. Some one actually went up and argued with him at 22:30 but all he got back was verbal abuse. He has had about 7 parties like this in 6 month but the bangs happen all time and even threw the night.

I went up a couple of weeks later to ask him to keep noise down as my apartment is always shaking and can here lots of bangs. Again I got verbal abuse and denied it was him. He slammed the door in my face and swore at me and called me names threw door. According to last couple what was in my apartment they said it use to be very quiet until they moved in and its gone down hill from then. The apartment corridor is a right mess with holes in it and carpet mudded up and all stain marks on walls where he kicked the walls. Only problem is there is no proof its him but its only gone like this since he moved in.

The noise above since I went up to him as gotten a lot worse I even spoke to his mum who comes and all she said is it must be draws closing and you cant help that a draw is a draw. I just said what ever and walked off. He is 27 years old im 39 year old and had a kidney transplant with other health issues and this I cant put up with. I'm now finding my self banging back and shouting You inconsiderate ******* all time.

It took me along time to get this apartment and its even causing arguments between my parents as they dont want to say anything as they dont no what come backs they would get and when they go to sell they will have to put down theres been a problem with noise. I spoke to next door both side and one even left because of it.

I just dont no what to do as this apartment is nice and only 16 in it and is quite big and open. Very warm and dont need heating on in winter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 11:23 AM

34,146 posts, read 83,166,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper847 View Post
...and its been hell since with them above me.
Complain and then move.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:55 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,953,629 times
You can call the police (not 911, just the normal number) and file a noise complaint. I'm pretty sure you can just do it over the phone. If they aren't responding to requests from you or your neighbors, then a ticket and a fine from the police might be the only answer.

If you don't want to take it that far, at least talk to apartment management. Tell them you're planning on leaving at the end of your lease because of the noise. If it's good management, they'll likely want to try some sort of corrective action instead of having tenants being run off by the noise.

Hearing your neighbors is expected in apartment living, but what you describe goes beyond that.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,616,232 times
Document and report to your landlord/parents. That's where I would start.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Document and report to your landlord/parents. That's where I would start.
Yeah I have and tried filming on my iPhone but that is rubbish as sound doesnt pick up right. I have ordered a web cam for PC which is 1080p and has microphone too which I will start using. Last night at 21:00 they decided to start cleaning and even this they had to make very loud bangs with the vacuum and again there floor sounds like wood which your not meant to have. They where stomping up and down which I could here over TV and as said you can here the stomping on the ground floor.

My parents have only heard it twice and every time they come round it is quiet but all of a sudden it be noisy and apartment will start vibrating. Twice my lamps shades have rocked due to bangs on floor. All my parents keep saying when I text them is. Hopefully it will stop soon. I'm thinking what kind of answer is that.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:28 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,806,050 times
Skipper, from what you've written, it sounds as if you have a very difficult time finding a place to live, and the only reason that you have a place to live now is that your parents are your landlords.

Are they the landlords for the entire building, or just your unit?

If they're the landlords for the entire building, you might be able to get them to pressure the tenant upstairs to either keep it down, or they can not renew their lease, and get a hopefully quieter tenant.

It they own only your unit, there's not that much they can do. Sure, they can complain to the coop board or whatever, but it's going to be a long and difficult process, and probably unsuccessful.

YOU are the one who is suffering. Forget that your parents are your LLs. Do what you'd do if they weren't your LLs. Save up your money, and find a better, quieter place to live. If you cannot afford anything better, then you unfortunately will have to live with this.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Skipper, from what you've written, it sounds as if you have a very difficult time finding a place to live, and the only reason that you have a place to live now is that your parents are your landlords.

Are they the landlords for the entire building, or just your unit?

If they're the landlords for the entire building, you might be able to get them to pressure the tenant upstairs to either keep it down, or they can not renew their lease, and get a hopefully quieter tenant.

It they own only your unit, there's not that much they can do. Sure, they can complain to the coop board or whatever, but it's going to be a long and difficult process, and probably unsuccessful.

YOU are the one who is suffering. Forget that your parents are your LLs. Do what you'd do if they weren't your LLs. Save up your money, and find a better, quieter place to live. If you cannot afford anything better, then you unfortunately will have to live with this.
Hi. Its just the apartment what is my parents not the building. I live in the UK and its quite difficult for me to save up as I am on benefits which not many places take on people with benefits. I have been checked by the doctors and job centre etc and they have said that I dont have to be checked for another 10 years and then it just a simple test and they say most likely you will not have to work. Like I said ive had a kidney transplant and other medical health issues I dont need this on top.

He is banging right now but shutting cupboards but slamming them more then one time and been banging all evening with stomping from his girlfriend who is worse then him at times. The other people what was in my apartment said same. He almost perfect when no one is there as the girl he is seeing split up with twice since ive been here and it sounds like when some one else is there he is showing off.

Be for May last year you didn't here even cupboards been open and closed but since then its been hell with 2 people already moved out. A lot dont like complaining as they dont want any consequences from person who been complaining about so its easier just to move for most people but not me..

Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM

Well like clock work he is back at around 18:00 and started banging once again. I have the dryer on in the kitchen and I'm in the room which is not all that far away. The dryer is quite loud but not too loud and can here him banging in his room closing that god damn cupboard over and over again for last 10 mins and chucking stuff on floor. The bed room are at the other end of the apartment and is some way around the corner from the corridor and My apartment shaking once more when he walks over. When I say the dryer is not too loud the people below would be able to here it as I here theres above but now its 18:00PM and some times he puts it in at 12:30AM.

I dont think he remembers me going up to him as yesterday he saw me in the car park in his van coming out of main door. He waved at me and smiled to say hello. I just looked the other way and walked on. He still probably thinks he is the innocent one even though he already argued with 2 other people and me in only a 16 apartment block.

Had a good night sleep last night though as went to my parents house who are away at the moment and had 12 hour sleep. I normally need around 9 or 10 so 12 hour was abit too much but at least feel refreshed now. That is all I ask for instead of been woken up by inconsiderate people.

Even on the rules of the building says only minimal noise should be heard from other apartments especially from 23:00 to 07:00AM. They just do what they like.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:46 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,080,837 times
Minimal noise is referring to nuisance noise, not daily living. Sounds like your building has thin walls or little insulation.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Minimal noise is referring to nuisance noise, not daily living. Sounds like your building has thin walls or little insulation.
Then this is no way near minimal nuisance noise. Like I said I spoke to my next door neighbour on my floor and asked him is it normally loud. He said its been very very quiet for the last 2 years until May when he moved. He has had a couple of bad argument break ups with his girl friends and now back with his ex twice in last 6 month.

I'm away for 5 days next week and going to coast so looking forward to that. Hope he moves soon as in 2 months it will be a year he has been in and hope he moves some where, where he annoys wrong person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting