Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times

Advertisements

Two things you need to know and follow only:

They need to give you proper notice (usually 24 hours but based on laws and lease).

You do not need to have it "Show ready". They can ask all they want and it's in your best interest to keep it tidy but I wouldn't stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 10:33 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
What do you mean the security deposit goes to the buyer to hold? You mean we won't get it back? That's our deposit the we are supposed to get at the end of the lease as long as the house is still in good condition. Our lease is up in 6 weeks so I don't think a new owner would take possession that soon but I could be wrong. I also don't know how they would have any idea of what it looked like when we moved in vs what it looks like now (basically the same) unless there was obvious tenant caused damage so I don't see how they could be the ones to give it back to us or not.
If tenant leases continue past close date, then new owner gets them to hold. If uou move out before they sell and close, your current ll will return to you in accordance with your lease. My tenants leases were not due to end until several months after closing.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
Here it is 24 hrs notice or so I thought but his email stated he and other realtors would be “popping by” with people buyers when in the area. I would assume boxes and such are not “show ready” as he indicated. I’m not planning on being a pill about it. I obviously want to do the right thing and while he could show it with us there it would probably be easier for him if we left early or so I’m assuming since he seems to be in a rush with the market.
I don't think he has the right to insist that the home be "show ready" you are still paying rent and as long as you maintain the property in a manner that it is safe and relatively clean you've met the terms of the lease. If you have to prepare to move you can have boxes anywhere you want. If the landlord doesn't like it, let him rent you a storage and he can pay to transport the boxes to it - or negotiate some compensation for you keeping the home 'show ready'.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:47 AM

Here is an article that outlines tenants rights in this situation.

https://caltenantlaw.com/for-sale/

Old 04-24-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Here is an article that outlines tenants rights in this situation.

https://caltenantlaw.com/for-sale/
Thats ONLY for california. And if a tenant fid those things, i would certainly find a reason to evict, andvif it sold, the new owner will pretty much be guaranteed not to renew the lease.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:04 PM

177 posts, read 120,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I used to be a property manager in CA. I am also a tenant now. If I was in your shoes, I would immediately email your landlord and the realtor and tell them both that under no circumstances do you agree to having a lockbox installed that would give access to anyone to enter and put your children in danger. And that you expect the landlord to give you written 24 hour notice any time that he will enter and that you insist on being present whenever anyone enters with his permission - after 24 hours written notice.
1000% agree.

Realtors "dropping by" with clients, w/out notice, and you also do not even know who these people are? And you have children in the home?

Egads.

If landlord wants to sell the home, and your lease is still in action, then ask for 24 hours notice and he can let the realtors in .....or specify that only 2 realtors or something can have a key???. I would NOT want to be home alone, if I were a woman, (with children!) with strangers coming and going into my house!

Goodness knows how *many* realtors would have a key to the lockbox on your home???? Oh lordy.

And I would not "go for a stroll with the kids". I have valuables in my home. You have zero knowledge of who is coming and going.......anybody can do anything while they are there, realtor accompanying them or not.

If your landlord doesn't like that idea, then ask to break your lease and see if he will give your security deposit back so you can move elsewhere ASAP.

A female realtor was murdered not long ago while showing a house. Anything can happen ... you have no protections here at all.

as for cleaning the house, and even if you are neat and clean........it's not part of your lease to do *special cleaning for prospective buyers of your rental*......... is it? I would continue to live like I always do, and continue to pack boxes and any other necessary thing that you need to do.

P.S. there are no relationships or laws or codes regarding tenant / landlord matters that you should ever allow to SUPERCEDE your own common sense about your own personal safety and the saftey of your children. Nor your valuable belongings. Always try to think these things out logically and do what is in your best interests for safety!

and, don't think there aren't grifter types, impeccably dressed, etc. who make it a habit to go around looking at homes w/realtor......then later you get robbed. This is not entirely uncommon.

Last edited by pavedwithgold; 04-24-2019 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Thats ONLY for california. And if a tenant fid those things, i would certainly find a reason to evict, andvif it sold, the new owner will pretty much be guaranteed not to renew the lease.
The property is in California but what makes you think the new owner will want to rent it out?

Last edited by 2sleepy; 04-24-2019 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: A

Old 04-24-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The property is in California but what makes you think the new owner will want to rent it out?
I would think the tenant may need a rental reference at the least. Doing what the article that was posted ssid to do will guarantee a poorvreference.
OP should just require 24 hr notice. Our leases state if a lickbox can be placed on the property the last 30 days, and tenant can opt outbof that by paying a fee. All showings on occupied homes are normally appt only or specify something in the mls. I dont know any realtor that would just walk into an occupied property without an appt.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I would think the tenant may need a rental reference at the least. Doing what the article that was posted ssid to do will guarantee a poorvreference.
OP should just require 24 hr notice. Our leases state if a lickbox can be placed on the property the last 30 days, and tenant can opt outbof that by paying a fee. All showings on occupied homes are normally appt only or specify something in the mls. I dont know any realtor that would just walk into an occupied property without an appt.
I would not agree to have my house 'show ready' 24/7, nor would I agree not to have moving boxes visible or leave the property when it's being shown in order to get a good reference. If you pay your rent on time and have receipts and leave the property in good condition the landlord could get himself in a world of hurt by saying you were a bad tenant because you refused to comply with unlawful demands regarding showing the property.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:53 PM

283 posts, read 288,791 times
Unfortunately your situation is the reality of renting homes. I was in the same boat as you, but we agreed with the Landlord that we have to be at home for the showings and we have to get a 24 hour notice. We have kids too and we told them that we'll try to keep the place as neat as possible, but can't promise "model home" type quality. We had about 3 weeks of showings, before someone made an offer. There were also some last minute "they're only here in town today, can they come by for 10 minutes..." type of requests that we just complied with. Fortunately it all worked out for the both of us.

I'm both a renter and I own rental property so I can sympathize. I'm a couple of years away from selling the rental so I understand it from the landlord point of view

Know your rights, and don't be a pushover.

Also, there are some bitter landlords (here's me waving at your bitter ones) here that may give some snarky responses. I don't know if they got burned by their previous tenants or they just have nothing better to do. But they will swarm at these types of posts like a pack of hungry wild dogs in the African savannah. Just skip over those responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting