Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,021,985 times

Advertisements

$10.00 is a drop in the bucket. I agree you should get it in writing. I use to charge $25/month for pet rent per animal. I stopped that practice, now I just charge an extra $50.00 on the security deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:45 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,622,086 times
When did I say I discussed my rent with other renters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
If she came with it the LL probably already figured it into the rent and is making it seem like a deal. You really shouldnt talk about how much you pay for rent etc with other renters. Its considered tacky and can cause problems within a building. If people ask you things like that its best to say " I prefer to keep my personal financial details private"

I agree to get the pet clause in writing before you even pick one out.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
Probably because you said in your first post, "And before I could even state the fact that my neighbor dosnt have to pay the extra per month she says..." It appeared from that that before speaking to your LL you already knew that the new renter wasn't paying anything additional...

Old 06-25-2008, 01:25 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,279,301 times
Well obviously you were discussing the subject of rent etc. because how else would you know there is a problem? Or did you break into her apartment and read her lease?
I hope it wasnt a break in....

Old 06-25-2008, 03:05 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,498,105 times
Don't forget about service animals. Service animals fall under an entirely different category as pets. If you have a service animal, you cannot be denied rental in a no pets unit because of the animal (you can still be denied for any other non-discriminitory reason, but not for that). You usually have to have a "prescription" signed by a doctor for the animal to be considered a service animal, though. That is probably what the neighbor someone mentioned with the "medical condition" had.

Not that that really matters in this case, since yours is, in fact, just a pet.

It also sounds to me like you caught your LL at a bad time, when she was distracted, and she maybe said some things she shouldn't have. It was really none of your business what the situation is with a neighbor. Landlords make different deals with different tenants, which can depend on anything not covered by fair housing. They rent to people for different amounts when the market is high or low, or if there are more people, more animals, better or worse credit scores, length of lease signed, etc. Your neighbor might have been paying more than you to start with. Or they may have paid more in deposit to cover the pet. We usually charge at least $200 pet deposit. It takes quite a few months at $10/month to get to $200.

We unfortunately had to just evict a tenant this week for going behind our backs and getting a puppy (specifically prohibited by the lease). So you did the right thing by getting permission first.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
That is very common and ten dollars is cheap. Anyone who has pets;me included ;will tell you taht pets are harder on the interior of the home. You might even want to think about your deposit because that could be effected if there is damage to teh apratment when you leave. But tehn compared to the other cost of owning pets that is cheap. remeber that pets ownership requires other expenses like veteran care which isn't cheap.But IMO thy are worth every cent.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,622,086 times
Seems like everyones ganging up on me here. My neighbor and I are very close so we do discuss things.. so what. My neighbor even felt it was unfair. I actually found a cat a few nights ago (weird I know) it came up to my door. Yes I did o.k. it with my landlord. Thanks to those who are offering their opinions but I feel some of you are too harsh not knowing the relationship I have with my neighbor. We are brothers and sisters.. not by blood but sometimes it seems that way.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM

372 posts, read 849,872 times
You've already negotiated your lease, even if it's a month to month. She doesn't have to cut you a deal, just because she was nice to another tenant. Life's not fair... we all have to play the cards dealt us.

But here's a suggestion that might work... Since you're planning on staying in the aparmtent for another 4 years +/-, why don't you offer to sign a year long lease in return for allowing you to keep a cat at no extra cost. That gives you some extra leverage because the LL will have to factor in the value of 0% vacancy for the next year. If you were to move out and it took them 2 weeks or a month to get a new tenant, how many months worth of pet payments would that cost?

Old 06-26-2008, 03:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
No one is ganging up on you we are just pointing out the obvious. Your landloard can drop anyhting she wants in your contract or not.Contracts are just that ;no fairness issues at all.If you were just lookig for suport not opinns then why ask.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:42 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,356,445 times
I didn't get the impression anyone was ganging up on you. I'm not sure how, or even why, you could pursue this matter. as many people have said, $10 is cheap, but if you protest it too much, there is always the chance the LL could just change her mind and go back to saying "no pets allowed"

you'll need to learn which battle to fight and which to concede; in this case, I'd advise you concede. it's not fair, but the possible alternative is having the LL, who was nice enough to alter the pet clause of the lease, to change her mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting