Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 25,925 times

Advertisements

I recently lost my job and have found a new one but I would have to move to get it. I have a month and a half left till my lease is up but it says in the early move out charge section that I need to give them 2 months notice. I'm a little confused on what the apartment can and cant charge me for. Can anyone help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 05:46 PM

319 posts, read 1,911,743 times
We would probably have to read all the pertinent sections of your lease. Do you need to give 2 months notice if you are moving out at the end of your lease as well as if you were "breaking" the lease? I'd also talk to your landlord or management to see if they can help you out...sometimes they might go easy on the fees or let you give less notice than the lease may say.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:21 PM

850 posts, read 4,742,336 times
Ditto PP on needing to know how the lease reads and what kind of notice you're required to give at lease end.

Without knowing what that is, I'd say it may be better just to let the lease ride rather than actually break it. Typically lease breaks involve fees and can affect future rental references. Either way, you can plan on being responsible for anywhere from 45-60 days rent.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:47 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
I would think that a 30 day notice at the end of the lease is sufficient. If your lease ends in 45 days, then tell them you will not renew when it is 30 days. I would also tell the LL you are moving for work and cannot stay.
If you leave in the middle of the 30 days to go to work, so be it.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 25,925 times
The lease is very similar to this here, hope this helps.
http://www.taa.org/assets/PDF/renter/2006%20apartment%20lease%20for%20website.pdf (broken link)
--With 60days notice being in field #3.

I do plan on staying until the lease is up but I cant really stay much longer; I'm just unsure if I will be charged for an extra month, or I will be considered breaking the lease because I didn't give 60 day notice even though I am staying until the end date on the lease.

I do plan on talking to the apartment manager but until then I'm just trying to get an understanding of the situation so I know whats going on.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:15 PM

850 posts, read 4,742,336 times
Looks like you're liable for 60 days. The lease requires a 60 day notice no matter if you're leaving early or leaving when the lease actually expires. You don't have to stay there the whole time, but you will be billed for it regardless. You *may* have an understanding manager who will forgive the half of the month, but it's unlikely. Notice periods are in place for a reason and if you make an exception for one person, you have to make one for everyone. This is a good lesson on making sure you read your lease properly up front and knowing what to expect. had you realized you had to give a 60 day notice at lease end regardless, you would have been prepared to do so and save you half a months rent. Be sure to read your next one carefully! Good luck!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:58 PM

319 posts, read 1,911,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Looks like you're liable for 60 days. The lease requires a 60 day notice no matter if you're leaving early or leaving when the lease actually expires. You don't have to stay there the whole time, but you will be billed for it regardless. You *may* have an understanding manager who will forgive the half of the month, but it's unlikely. Notice periods are in place for a reason and if you make an exception for one person, you have to make one for everyone. This is a good lesson on making sure you read your lease properly up front and knowing what to expect. had you realized you had to give a 60 day notice at lease end regardless, you would have been prepared to do so and save you half a months rent. Be sure to read your next one carefully! Good luck!
I agree

Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,593,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Yep, this is exactly the way all of my leases have been as well. For instance, if my lease expires at the end of May, I have to give my notice by April 1st. If I don't give it till April 30th, I would go into a new month-to-month lease for the one additional month. Regardless, if I have signed the lease saying I would give 60 days notice - that's what I have to do.

I would hesitate in just letting the lease ride out. Communicate with them and maybe they'll be more lenient on the half month...but don't just let it go without saying anything. Put your notice in writing and see what happens from there.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting