Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:28 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience leasing a property through craigslist?

I like craiglist and use it extensively for selling items and never have had any problems. Rentals are another thing all together and I am somewhat skeptical. I never rented from an individual and worry that the individual may not be solvent and even close to foreclosure. Of course that could also apply to a rental agency or real estate firm. Comments appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
I'm using Craigslist to look for a new apartment. While most of the ads are legitimate, there are some that are obvious scams. I wouldn't give anyone money until you've actually seen the place for yourself and know that it's a real property for rent. In the L.A. forum someone posted about an ad that was run by scam artists from Nigeria. It was written in broken English and had many misspellings; the ad claimed there was an apartment for rent, and that if you wired them money, they would send you the key.

So just be careful, and if you see any bogus ads, please flag them for removal so no one else gets taken in.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 AM

523 posts, read 2,905,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Has anyone had any experience leasing a property through craigslist?

I like craiglist and use it extensively for selling items and never have had any problems. Rentals are another thing all together and I am somewhat skeptical. I never rented from an individual and worry that the individual may not be solvent and even close to foreclosure. Of course that could also apply to a rental agency or real estate firm. Comments appreciated, thanks.

Craigslist is pretty much the only way I lease my properties. A lot of scam artists are definitely out there, though. I often get very fishy e-mails. For instance, one was a female who claimed to be coming to the US for an international modeling competition and they love my place and want to stay in it for 6 months. She wants to know where to send money. Others are more generic--some woman from Eastern Europe who needs a place to live because she's here on a mission of some sort, claims to be deeply religious, considerate, etc. and she wants the room just based off of the ad. Apart from people like that, everyone else has been fine!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 AM

59 posts, read 365,114 times
We found CL the best place to advertise our rental. We got the best leads from the ad. I also noticed in our area that CL ads had higher rents than the newspaper or other places.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
We get great response from running ads on Craigslist. Couple of tips:

1) If you really want to avoid scams, ask people to call rather than emailing, most scammers won't make the call.

2) If you do get emails, here's what to watch for:
  • Broken english
  • People who don't ask the right questions or want to send you money without seeing the property
  • People who offer to pay the entire year at once, which often leads to them wanting a check back from you for the "overpayment" just before their check bounces
3) Be aware that by running your listing on Craigslist, you also bring yourself to the attention of a different type of scammers. However, not posting on Craigslist is no guarantee of safety against this type of scam, as all the scammer needs is an address and access to the public record for basic info about a house.
  • One popular scam has the scammer listing the house with the information you provided (or obtained from public record), except their own contact info. They then will "rent" the house out to a half dozen or so people, take their money and skip out, and you have angry "tenants" showing up at your real tenants door. This is time to call the police, as it isn't your problem.

All that said, I find that overall, we get a higher caliber of applicants from Craigslist than off signs or newspaper ads. All of our current "best tenants" came from Craigslist ads.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:43 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
I've successfully used Craigslist a couple times -- including one rental that was 3,000 miles away (although I admit that I was holding my breath a bit on that one and hoping that it was legit).

As others have said, just be wary. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and if anyone wants you to send money overseas -- run!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,073 times
We too only use Craigslist to rent our property. We do provide a phone number for them to call us and then we ask questions before making an appt. to see the property. We've had great tenants

Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
I have always found the best people and properties by posting housing wanted ads on CL. So conversely, you may find that the people who post housing wanted ads are well worth dealing with. Some of them may have special issues and are looking for a landlord who can be sympathetic to their particular plight (I needed space for a piano on a budget). So in this way you can get good tenants who might not have applied for your property otherwise.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:07 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,019,847 times
There are some scams that are pretty obvious. There are also a lot of good renters that look at this site. We've had some positive experience and some rented units.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:43 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,354 times
I rented my apartment from a Craigslist ad and it is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting