Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 29,203 times

Advertisements

I live in Solano county CA. last October my fiance and i moved into 2 two bedroom 2 bath apartment here in an apartment complex that was managed by BRE property management. Recently the property has sold to a company called Primus and the new management isnt honoring one of terms in our lease. Origionly BRE had advertised that if you live in their community they will report your rent payments on your credit report we always pay ontime so we figured this would be a great way to improve our credit so that when the lease is up we can buy our first home not to mention the rent here is $1270 per month so we were hoping that banks would have more confidence in us for paying a high amount for rent making it easier for us to qualify for a loan. After living here for about 7 months now not one thing was posted our credit report and when i went into the office to talk about it with someone they said the new propery management was not going to honor that agreement for any of its tenats. Is there anything i can do about this? That clause was one one of the main reasons we settled on this property and now they arnt honoring it. They didnt give us any new paperwork or any type of notice regarding the change. The second issue i have is that they have not kept up with maintanance on the property.

first we have a laundry facility that has 6 washers and 6 dryers about half of the washers and dryers actually work. Others like this one in the vid make you pay 3-4 times the normal amount to actually get your cloths dry. Plus this one screaches and many tennats have brought it to the attention of the property management.

YouTube - Broken dryer 1900 ascot parkway vallejo ca

Here is a video of the noise that the water pipes make its disturbing during the day and really annoying at 1AM in the morning while you are trying to sleep.

YouTube - Noisy Water pipes 1900 ascot parkway vallejo ca

Here is a video of how well our security gates in our gated community work. Ok im kidding they stay open most of the time allowing anyone to drive it at any time.

YouTube - MOV01408

Heres a nice pic of the hole in the gate where i see quite few people sneek through from time to tim

They are doing some remodeling on the buildings and look at the nice mess they leave on the walkways this has been there for 3 days now im supprised someone hasnt broke an ankle yet especially since thats where a lot of little kids play during the day

There are plenty of electrical boxs that arnt properly secured and exposed wiring that feeds the lights to the car ports that light up at night.

and heres my ceiling that i asked them to fix about 6 months ago

Sorry for the long post i just wanted to provide as much information as possible to see what i can do about the new management not honoring all the clauses in the origional lease agreement and their lack of maintanance on the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,957 times
You can call the housing department in your area. You should write them a letter and include your pictures.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times
There are so many different issues here. For one thing the laundry facility is usually owned and operated by a laundry contractor. There should be some contact information for them. The plumbing problem may just be a weird thing, follow the guidelines in your lease for repair requests.

As far as reporting your rent for credit purposes, when you go to get a mortgage they will check to see if you paid on time and may ask for receipts and or cancelled checks. This is a standard form sent by mortgage companies to your current landlord to answer the stardard questions like if you paid on time and were you ever late or short on the rent. This is not usually on a credit report and is not usually included in your scores. If you want to establish credit get credit from someone like buying furniture or a car and pay it off on time every month.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I suggest that you get with other tenants and take them to court;the lease is a contrct and that is how its enforced.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
There are so many different issues here. For one thing the laundry facility is usually owned and operated by a laundry contractor. There should be some contact information for them. The plumbing problem may just be a weird thing, follow the guidelines in your lease for repair requests.

As far as reporting your rent for credit purposes, when you go to get a mortgage they will check to see if you paid on time and may ask for receipts and or cancelled checks. This is a standard form sent by mortgage companies to your current landlord to answer the stardard questions like if you paid on time and were you ever late or short on the rent. This is not usually on a credit report and is not usually included in your scores. If you want to establish credit get credit from someone like buying furniture or a car and pay it off on time every month.

Hope this helps.
I know its not usually reported on the credit report however they had stated that our renting history with them would be on our credit report. Ive got good credit but im hoping to have great credit by the time i buy a house to help get the lowest interest rate possible. They even had a brochure on their desk when we signed the lease agreement. It read Rent your way to good credit. Sure mortgage companies could find out by gathering my payment history with the LL but if it were on my credit report it would help with other things like auto loan and credit card rates. Im wondering if the contract could be considered void if they dont provide all the services i was promised when i signed the lease. Im paying x amount per month for not only the apartment but also the services i was promised in the beginning I pay the full amount each month on time so why should i be denied services? If they are going to remove a service I feel i should be adequately compensated. As for the laundry they claim they have called the maytag maintenance but they havnt showed up. It really just sounds like an excuse not to fix the laundry facility to me they hae had over 6 month to fix it if the maintenance company isnt doing their job the property management need to do something about it. I could just as easily say sorry i cant pay rent but my boss is hasnt delivered my paycheck yet but i have let him know that i need. Im still responsible for paying rent just as they are responsible for ultimately maintaining the property if they are having issues with maytag its none of my concern all i care about is having a working laundry facility just as all they are concerned about is getting their money. [End rant]

Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I suggest that you get with other tenants and take them to court;the lease is a contrct and that is how its enforced.
sounds like a good idea. I didnt think they should be able to get out of that clause.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:48 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
It all boils down to what's spelled out in your lease. There should be a clause in there about the event of new ownership. What does that say. Sometimes they say the new owner has the right to change terms at their discretion. Also, is this credit reporting a term of your lease? If it was just something promised but isn't in writing in the lease, there's nothing you can do about it. If it is in the lease, then you need to decide how you want to proceed. They've breached the agreement and you can take them to court for that, but you just have to know what you want. It doesn't automatically make the lease null and void, but you can ask for that if you want. Or you can ask for a rent reduction. Or you can ask for credit reporting.

As far as your maintenance issues, how many requests have you submitted to them in writing It's up to you to be your own advocate to get them taken care of. When you say it's been 6 months, that leads me to believe you haven't stayed on top of them. The law requires written notice, so phone calls don't count. You need to do what the law and the lease says and report these issues and give them an opportunity to take care of them. If you see they haven't been after a reasonable amount of time, then you can pursue further action. Now this applies to the issues in your own apartment and the safety issues. Amenities like your laundry center are there for your convenience and are never guaranteed, and there's likely a clause in your lease about that. It's an inconvenience and it sucks, but they're legally not doing anything wrong. And as far as the gates, that's considered a convenience amenity too. No property manager can legally ever guarantee safety or provide you with items to keep you safe. They're there for your comfort and convenience.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
It all boils down to what's spelled out in your lease. There should be a clause in there about the event of new ownership. What does that say. Sometimes they say the new owner has the right to change terms at their discretion. Also, is this credit reporting a term of your lease? If it was just something promised but isn't in writing in the lease, there's nothing you can do about it. If it is in the lease, then you need to decide how you want to proceed. They've breached the agreement and you can take them to court for that, but you just have to know what you want. It doesn't automatically make the lease null and void, but you can ask for that if you want. Or you can ask for a rent reduction. Or you can ask for credit reporting.

As far as your maintenance issues, how many requests have you submitted to them in writing It's up to you to be your own advocate to get them taken care of. When you say it's been 6 months, that leads me to believe you haven't stayed on top of them. The law requires written notice, so phone calls don't count. You need to do what the law and the lease says and report these issues and give them an opportunity to take care of them. If you see they haven't been after a reasonable amount of time, then you can pursue further action. Now this applies to the issues in your own apartment and the safety issues. Amenities like your laundry center are there for your convenience and are never guaranteed, and there's likely a clause in your lease about that. It's an inconvenience and it sucks, but they're legally not doing anything wrong. And as far as the gates, that's considered a convenience amenity too. No property manager can legally ever guarantee safety or provide you with items to keep you safe. They're there for your comfort and convenience.
Ok im going to read through my lease very carefully now and see what i can find. And First thing tomorrow im going to write a report addressing all the issues i have found with the property and provide pictures and viedo on a cd for them to refer to. I will keep a copy of the report for future refrence and then ill see what steps they take. I personaly only call them once a month on the issues they said that was all they needed and they also said they would take care of everything right away which they obviously havnt done but no more of that ill start a paper trail now.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:20 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrick31 View Post
Ok im going to read through my lease very carefully now and see what i can find. And First thing tomorrow im going to write a report addressing all the issues i have found with the property and provide pictures and viedo on a cd for them to refer to. I will keep a copy of the report for future refrence and then ill see what steps they take. I personaly only call them once a month on the issues they said that was all they needed and they also said they would take care of everything right away which they obviously havnt done but no more of that ill start a paper trail now.

Perfect. And don't let them tell you all they need is once a month. Be a thorn in their sides about it and things will get done. Just be nice about it in the process. Not that it's an excuse for poor management, but managing a large apartment community is no small task and there are so many things to deal with in a day. Sometimes things fall through the cracks, especially when they're out of sight, out of mind.

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Last night I submitted my complaints to the property management. They have a night drop slot where people can drop off rent or anything else while the office is closed thats where i put the letter along with a CD including the pictures and videos. What would be considered a reasonable amount of time to allow them to make the repairs? If they arnt done within that time what should my next actions be? I read through my contract and it dosnt say anything about the credit reporting unfortunatly. It really seems unfair as they advertised it (Had brochures and everything) as one of the perks of living here and now one employee told me they arnt honoring it and the manager jsut played dumb saying that was never offered. I still feel its false advertisement but its not in the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting