Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,168 times

Advertisements

My landlord has a "Release Agreement" as part of a Lease Rider. Please what does it mean if I sign? What rights have I given up? Any specific and releastic scenarios would help. The apartment is in Long Island. The landlord seems nice and may be open to rewording the clause. He indicated that the landlord's association advices this to be included in the lease. Any help on if there is a compromise or should I refrain from signing the "clause" ?

It states the following:

I/We the above named Releasor, execute this release with the express intention of extinguishing the obligations as set herin set forth.

In consideration of the attached lease agreement, receipt of which is acknowledged, we for ourselves and our heirs, legal representatives, and assigns, release and discharge Releasee and his heirs, legal representatives, and assigns, from all claims and causes of action that we or either of us ever had, now have, or may have in future, known and unknown, or that any person claimining through us or either of us may have or claim to have, against Releasee or his heirs, legal representatives, or assigns by or arising out of :

- Lease Agreeement for property located at : XYZ Street, ACity, NY

I have read this release; understand the terms used in it and their legal significance, and have executed the release voluntarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 11:48 PM

45 posts, read 161,008 times
The language if that lease clause is basically legalese gibberish. No such agreement can abrogate your rights under the laws and statutes, especially for housing, of the state and municipality where you will reside.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 AM

850 posts, read 4,741,310 times
Hmmm....I've been doing this a long time and have never heard of requiring a renter to relinquish their right to sue. I'd find another landlord.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Red flag, do not sign!!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:29 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
IMo this isn't keeping you out of court if the LL does anything against the law. A LL and a tenant both have to obey the law...no paper stating you won't sue will prevail, JMO!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:02 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
This is a first for me ......... I wouldn't sign (and I manage properties)

Old 06-17-2009, 05:47 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
IMo this isn't keeping you out of court if the LL does anything against the law. A LL and a tenant both have to obey the law...no paper stating you won't sue will prevail, JMO!
It might a good idea to read some of the contracts you sign.. I have a feeling YOU may just have a surprise coming. Most if not all contracts today have some sort of you agreeing to arbitration instead of a law suit written in to the contract.

Last edited by Houston3; 06-17-2009 at 06:12 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 06:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Interesting... I have seen commercial leases with mandatory arbitration and in some Real Estate Purchase Agreements...

There is a basic tenant in my lay understanding of the law where a provision contrary to law or public policy is unenforceable...

The real question is... why would you want to put yourself in that position?

You always have the option to modify the agreement by striking out parts you do not agree with and having all parties initial the changes... I've done it before and it held up with a local Housing Authority... they were not happy about it...

Old 06-17-2009, 06:47 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Interesting... I have seen commercial leases with mandatory arbitration and in some Real Estate Purchase Agreements...

There is a basic tenant in my lay understanding of the law where a provision contrary to law or public policy is unenforceable...

The real question is... why would you want to put yourself in that position?

You always have the option to modify the agreement by striking out parts you do not agree with and having all parties initial the changes... I've done it before and it held up with a local Housing Authority... they were not happy about it...
"contrary to law or public policy is unenforceable..."

That's open for debate when you sign a contract.. But it keeps the attorneys busy..LOL

For some reason I think the LL in question is trying to protect themself from people that make their living by suing others.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I've seen this type of language in other leases/rental agreements.

I think a lot of what might or could happen down the road if there was a situation to arise will depend upon your state laws.

Where I live, a contract that you sign that essentially has you giving up rights is unenforceable. Since you're not a lawyer, you're not expected to know the rights to which you're entitled and may be asked to sign away. Of course, it takes legal action and expenses to get past that contract hurdle, but it can easily be done on basic renter's rights issues.

However, why set yourself up for a risky situation? You've got a landlord here who is raising red flags about your tenancy and possible adversity. Why mess with it if there's other, better situations to rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting