Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

5 Tips to Lower Your Rent - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Well these tips are maybe for any very bad distressed neighor hoods, but not for the Tampa Fl area where many homes are in foreclosure or bankowned and renting is booming!

I almost wished I had more properties...

I don't agree with many things this lady is saying...first of all, most renters don't have good credit, so that isn't part of a negotiation but the reason why they are renting, otherwise this would be a great time for them to buy.

If they can't afford the home, than rent a home in a cheaper surrounding. many calls I got were from people who couldn't afford the sec. deposit, and asked for lower rent. My rent is similar to the surrounding area and we have nice amenities in place for the renters which have to be paid by the HO.

Recently we had tenants moving in our neighborhood who can't pay for the utilities and I never ever seen this before and it is ridiculous how the HO allowed them to move in. The only lived here for maybe 2 months, have no electricity and they go around to ask neighbors for milk, sugar, and to do their laundry. Florida is very hot right now and they have all their windows open during the day...can you imagine what it is to live in that home with temp. out here of 93 F! How soon will there be mold in that home....

People should understand first, before negotiating that they can afford the home at all...

I'm all for a reasonable rent amount but not for people who want to live above their means!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Well these tips are maybe for any very bad distressed neighor hoods, but not for the Tampa Fl area where many homes are in foreclosure or bankowned and renting is booming!

I don't agree with many things this lady is saying...first of all, most renters don't have good credit, so that isn't part of a negotiation but the reason why they are renting, otherwise this would be a great time for them to buy.

If they can't afford the home, than rent a home in a cheaper surrounding. many calls I got were from people who couldn't afford the sec. deposit, and asked for lower rent. My rent is similar to the surrounding area and we have nice amenities in place for the renters which have to be paid by the HO.

Recently we had tenants moving in our neighborhood who can't pay for the utilities and I never ever seen this before and it is ridiculous how the HO allowed them to move in. The only lived here for maybe 2 months, have no electricity and they go around to ask neighbors for milk, sugar, and to do their laundry. Florida is very hot right now and they have all their windows open during the day...can you imagine what it is to live in that home with temp. out here of 93 F! How soon will there be mold in that home....

People should understand first, before negotiating that they can afford the home at all...

I'm all for a reasonable rent amount but not for people who want to live above their means!
wow----am so glad you're not my landlord---some people rent cause they r too old or disabled to take care of a home--so an apt.,condo,or home rental is easier.
as to renting beyond one's means---not all landlords are honest about what it costs to run the rental----ie--an uninsulated home in fla can eat up your money in cooling costs as can an inefficient cooling/heating system(not the renters responsibility)
i rented briefly in tampa bay and am glad my landlord was a realtor but i met many like yourself who looked down upon me cause i was old,divorced,and on disabilty.
i rented in a gated golf community was an excellent experience,had a NON JUDGMENTAL REALTOR!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2long View Post
wow----am so glad you're not my landlord---some people rent cause they r too old or disabled to take care of a home--so an apt.,condo,or home rental is easier.
as to renting beyond one's means---not all landlords are honest about what it costs to run the rental----ie--an uninsulated home in fla can eat up your money in cooling costs as can an inefficient cooling/heating system(not the renters responsibility)
i rented briefly in tampa bay and am glad my landlord was a realtor but i met many like yourself who looked down upon me cause i was old,divorced,and on disabilty.
i rented in a gated golf community was an excellent experience,had a NON JUDGMENTAL REALTOR!
WOW....Why are you accusing me of not willing to rent to old, disabled, or divorced people...Explain please?

Btw. I never even asked any of my tenants if they are divorced and how many kids they have, only who is moving in! The rest is non of my business!

That is against the fair housing law and why should a disabled old, divorced person be a bad tenant?

or are you a bad rent payer/tenant?

if you can't afford a home for which a rental price is similar to the neighboring homes, you should rent in a cheaper rental community with maybe less amenities...that is all I wrote about! please read carefully again and only start accusing if you are right!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Just a reminder to refrain from Personal Attacks

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-18-2009 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-09-2009, 09:07 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:

In defense of the story, they were very clear that one of the 5 tips is to do your research on the current local market. That is a very important step.

For example, in my area, the apartment market is drastically different from the single family/duplex market. If you live in an apartment, it is a great time to try to renegotiate. However, if you live in a house or plex, you may get laughed at and given a rent increase notice.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
In defense of the story, they were very clear that one of the 5 tips is to do your research on the current local market. That is a very important step.

For example, in my area, the apartment market is drastically different from the single family/duplex market. If you live in an apartment, it is a great time to try to renegotiate. However, if you live in a house or plex, you may get laughed at and given a rent increase notice.
In my area... single family rental homes are in great demand... I get calls all the time asking what I have available... this is not the case with Bread and Butter Apartments.

Lots of people are trying to rent what they lost through foreclosures... at least the people I come across.

Last year you could rent a home on the same street for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of PITI payments... the gap continues to narrow as many homes are now selling for 1/2 or less than people paid 4 years ago...

I think some people will never go back to Home Ownership...

Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
Quote:
WOW....Why are you accusing me of not willing to rent to old, disabled, or divorced people...Explain please?

Btw. I never even asked any of my tenants if they are divorced and how many kids they have, only who is moving in! The rest is non of my business!

That is against the fair housing law and why should a disabled old, divorced person be a bad tenant?

or are you a bad rent payer/tenant?

if you can't afford a home for which a rental price is similar to the neighboring homes, you should rent in a cheaper rental community with maybe less amenities...that is all I wrote about! please read carefully again and only start accusing if you are right!
there you go again with negative judgemental quotes---read my post--i rented in a gated,country club----and i have much empathy for your tenants
why do you assume people rent beyond their means? are you leasing palaces in tampa bay????

Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
there you go again with negative judgemental quotes---read my post--i rented in a gated,country club----and i have much empathy for your tenants
why do you assume people rent beyond their means? are you leasing palaces in tampa bay????
No, just regular single family homes, etc. but they are in very nice communities, with a large clubhouse, 5 or 6 tennis courts, 3 pools (one with large slide), fitness, basketball court, volleyball court, soccer field, play yards, etc..

People can also rent in communities where there is either just a small pool or no pool area at all, that will lower their rental costs and they still can rent a nice home...but if you want more amenities your rent will be higher.

It is similar to when you go to a hotel or motel...the room might be similar in sqft, but the motel might not have a pool and just the room, the hotel might have a fitness, pool, etc...and the room price per day will be different.

Where a person chooses to stay is up to the person and their wallet and what they want to spend....if you stay in a luxurious place and can't afford it, you know the consequences that is all I wanted to say.

Some people rent cheaper than what they have to spend so they keep extra money to do other things, others will rent and can't afford it.

Right now we have a family living around the corner who have no electricity on in a small single family home...they clearly can't afford it would be better off living in a condo or apartment where the A/C would be much more affordable than in a home with a garage and a yard to maintain...I don't understand how they can do it....they recently moved in and the temp.is 93F right now...not even fun outside, can you imagine inside and over here it is dark before 8 pm till at least 6.45 am....all the time no A/C no lights on, etc....and there is a family with kids living there....

btw. I'm glad i'm not the owner of the home, because mold will start to build up with them having the windows open 24/7!

Old 09-09-2009, 02:30 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
g2l, I think you are misinterpreting bentlebee's posts. I don't see anything that is judgemental at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting