Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 40,493 times

Advertisements

I know this is kind of long but I really need help in this.

So this is my situation, me and my boyfriend moved to a new apartment building and after only living there for a week and a half both of our cars were broke into along with 2 other vehicles. We didn't make a big deal about it since we knew this was one of the consequenses of living in the city but did report it to the LL.

Four days after getting both of the broken windows fixed they came back and stole his whole car. I heard the alarm on another car that got the window busted 14 floors up, looked out the window and saw his car gone, then went downstairs to find the doorperson simply sitting at the desk. I said, "Call the cops, their stealing cars out here" he replied, "You call the cops." He even had the nerve to get in a argument with my boyfriend saying don't talk to him like that and don't disrespect him. So of course my boyfriend is heated after having his car stolen and this man couldn't even get up to see why an alarm is going off but we are paying for his job.

Another car had gotten stolen along with ours and now another car is being broken into every week, literally. The LL says we have to pay $1,500 to get out of the lease when we've paid more than that in car damages. It took 2 weeks for the aparment manager to call us back just to tell us there is nothing they can do and it's not their problem. But how do they expect someone to pay for rent when they have to steady pay for repairs on their car? If you can provide me with any help at all I would appreciate it. With the holiday season coming around and the economy so down I don't want to be robbed at gunpoint next. This all happened with in not even a month, I hate the fact that I have to deal with this for 11 more months. Oh, and my boyfriend has now lost his job now that he has no car. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Is parking for your vehicles included in your lease?

Was the property advertised as a security building or with security services?

I've seen cases of an ongoing broken garage door security gate used as a basis of breaking a leases that included secure parking...

As for the car... the best way to get one back is with something like Lo-jack that will track your car...

How long before the Insurance settles the claim? At least you can use the provision for a rental car in the interim...

I wouldn't let $1500 keep me from moving where security is at issue...

Old 09-16-2009, 05:54 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
I would move, plain and simple.
His job desription may not include security, playing one would
be putting his safety in jeoprady.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Well just having moved into this apartment and putting all that money down for rent and all the deposits, then paying for repairs on the cars I simply do not have $1500 to throw away like that right now and then have to turn around and pay more rent and deposits on another place. It's just not as easy as forking out $1500.

The door person is very misleading when they sit there with a hat that says security and a security badge. AND they are hired from a "security" company per the manager of the apartment complex.

He only had liability on his car so he is simply just out of a vehicle.

In the lease it states that they are not responsible for property damage but when your complex is being hit up EVERY week should they not do anything to try to protect our vehicles? Me and my boyfriend are so paranoid, so worried to go to sleep at night. We wake up at 4 in the morning every day just to look out the window and make sure my car is still there so I can get to work. People should not have to live like that. We pay our rent, we are good tenants, why must we be scared to go to sleep at night in fear that we might loose another car, our last resort, on that parking lot?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,134,289 times
welcome to renting-----doing the same here only i know the disturbed kid doing it(police say suspicions not good---kid must be caught in the act)

i'm having my car scratched,attempts to get in.my mail stolen,(got an expensive locking box),just a matter of time til the kid smashes the car window and figures out how to hot wire it(only 12 but working on becoming a hood)---chain smoking bar hopping parent Presents health,fire safety issues------am counting days til my lease is up--(90)
much luck to you
next lease WILL HAVE HEALTH AND SAFETY ISSUES WRITTEN INTO IT!

Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinNDaLou View Post
Well just having moved into this apartment and putting all that money down for rent and all the deposits, then paying for repairs on the cars I simply do not have $1500 to throw away like that right now and then have to turn around and pay more rent and deposits on another place. It's just not as easy as forking out $1500.

The door person is very misleading when they sit there with a hat that says security and a security badge. AND they are hired from a "security" company per the manager of the apartment complex.

He only had liability on his car so he is simply just out of a vehicle.

In the lease it states that they are not responsible for property damage but when your complex is being hit up EVERY week should they not do anything to try to protect our vehicles? Me and my boyfriend are so paranoid, so worried to go to sleep at night. We wake up at 4 in the morning every day just to look out the window and make sure my car is still there so I can get to work. People should not have to live like that. We pay our rent, we are good tenants, why must we be scared to go to sleep at night in fear that we might loose another car, our last resort, on that parking lot?
I'm not sure what the property owner can do about street crime... any suggestions from local law enforcement or neighborhood watch?

What about the crime statistics for the neighborhood? I this an area with a high incidence of illegal activity?

I work with two Nurses that live in San Francisco... one no longer owns a car because of the petty vandalism and the other pays $350 a month to rent a private garage 3 blocks from where her apartment is located.

What would you do if you were the building owner?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 AM

If I was the building owner I would set up security cameras and make the lights a whole lot brighter. And instead of having a doorperson sitting around simply hasseling the resident's visitors for their id I would have them posted out on the parking lot because obviously that is where the problem is.

The manager said this problem JUST started happening so either we are being targeted or the punks just figured out this building has no cameras or any type of security so they know they can get away with whatever. The manager told us she would TRY to have police come around more often but we still haven't seen the fruits of that labor.

And we understand this is the city and maybe not the best of areas so sh*t is going to happen. But when it comes to the point of happening every week you have to realize its time to do something about it. Let that LL get her car broken into while simply being at work and then we might see something getting done. Would she care then now that it affects her?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:47 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
Do you have renter's insurance? They often help with legal stuff, too.

Did you check out the crime stats in that area before you moved in? Sounds horrible.

Before you move somewhere else... go to the local police station and check out the crime in the area... you should always do that before moving anywhere. It might be more expensive to live in a safer area - but there's a reason for that.

Does anyone remember "the club"? Does it work to prevent car theft?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:49 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I work with two Nurses that live in San Francisco... one no longer owns a car because of the petty vandalism and the other pays $350 a month to rent a private garage 3 blocks from where her apartment is located.
Oh my gosh! How ridiculous. That's a lot of money she's throwing away. I'd totally move!

Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinNDaLou View Post
If I was the building owner I would set up security cameras and make the lights a whole lot brighter. And instead of having a doorperson sitting around simply hasseling the resident's visitors for their id I would have them posted out on the parking lot because obviously that is where the problem is.

The manager said this problem JUST started happening so either we are being targeted or the punks just figured out this building has no cameras or any type of security so they know they can get away with whatever. The manager told us she would TRY to have police come around more often but we still haven't seen the fruits of that labor.

And we understand this is the city and maybe not the best of areas so sh*t is going to happen. But when it comes to the point of happening every week you have to realize its time to do something about it. Let that LL get her car broken into while simply being at work and then we might see something getting done. Would she care then now that it affects her?
Increasing the lighting sounds reasonable and one I would consider...

Security Cameras are not very effective outdoors... they can often confirm when the crime occurred... but that's about it.

Posting Security in the parking lot probably isn't going to happen... the liability for injury vs. property theft is probably too great... my brother worked nights at a 24 hour gas station and they were always getting robbed... the place was lit up like daylight, had security patrol and cameras... still didn't stop some fool from taking a shot at my brother 18" away from his head... thankfully the first shot was stopped by bullet resistant glass...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting