Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,033 times

Advertisements

I have been renting a house in Florida for 3 years. the house went into foreclosure and was sold at auction on march 13th. I came home and found a note on my door from the realtor representing the giant company that bought the house. This was the first i heard of the auction sale and results. They offered me $ 1200 to vacate in 15 days. I said I have no money to move and need the 90 days that the foreclosure act of 2009 says i am entitled. They keep pressing me to leave, yet I have not received a written notice. I want to stay and rent the house . any ideas how to handle this. This was a suprise. I need the 3 months to save up 1st last and security somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,802,784 times
They may be "pressing" you to leave but they can't force you out. If you haven't already done so, put your "no" in writing (preferable by return receipt certified mail). Then it's up to them to give you the required 90 days notice in writing. If they don't tell you to whom you should pay your rent then just send it to whoever you've been sending it to until they give you further instructions. I assume you're on a month to month and don't have a term lease? If you have a term lease you don't have to leave until its end date. Good luck and don't worry!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 PM

34,144 posts, read 83,166,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buy4now1 View Post
house went into foreclosure and was sold at auction on march 13th.
I want to stay and rent the house . any ideas how to handle this.
That's not an option. You WILL be moving. The ONLY question is when.

Quote:
I said I have no money to move... They offered me $ 1200
That seems to works out well. Start looking for your new place.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,441,673 times
The cash for keys amount might be negotiable.

Did the former owner retain a deposit, btw?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,205,076 times
Ask for more money. See what happens.

How exactly are they "pressuring you" to move?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,033 times
i called the # on the paper posted on my door. the realtor made the offer of 1200 and leave in 15 days. I said i want to stay and rent the house. after all the company that bought it is going to clean it up and re-rent it. I said I want to stay thru the process and continue to pay rent . he said no. I said ok you have to honor the rest of my lease. He said no they would evict me. I quoted the foreclosure act of 2009 . he said he would have someone else contact me. They just keep calling and asking for my email so they can email the terms of the cash for keys. they just ignore everything i say.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
i called the # on the paper posted on my door. the realtor made the offer of 1200 and leave in 15 days. I said i want to stay and rent the house. after all the company that bought it is going to clean it up and re-rent it. I said I want to stay thru the process and continue to pay rent . he said no. I said ok you have to honor the rest of my lease. He said no they would evict me. I quoted the foreclosure act of 2009 . he said he would have someone else contact me. They just keep calling and asking for my email so they can email the terms of the cash for keys. they just ignore everything i say.
Send them a copy of the lease and a copy of the foreclosure act via certified mail return receipt requested.

You do need to mail them any outstanding rent immediately as well.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,763,264 times
You need to accept that they aren't going to rent to you after your lease is up. You say that you need the 6 months left in your lease to save up money to move. They are offering you money to move. I am confused, what was your issue again?

You cannot (and will not) force them to continue to rent to you after your lease is up. Why are you refusing to give them your email address? Emails are printable (read: written documentation), and you could negotiate with them over the cash amount they are offering. You do realize that the cash offer will go away if you insist on staying through the end of your lease, don't you?

Bottom line is: you ARE going to move. Now or 6 months from now...but you ARE going to be moving. If you move now, THEY will pay your first / last / deposit for your new place in exchange for you leaving now. If you stay for 6 months, YOU will have to come up with first / last / deposit AND keep paying rent to them. What they plan to do with the house is none of your business and you cannot force them to keep you as a tenant after your lease.

Keep in mind, if you force them to honor the lease and turn down their offer to move out early...you will be on your own. Heaven forbid something break or you have a leak in the roof or something else comes up that you would normally call your landlord to fix. You can bet these folks won't lift a finger to repair anything for you.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
You need to accept that they aren't going to rent to you after your lease is up. You say that you need the 6 months left in your lease to save up money to move. They are offering you money to move. I am confused, what was your issue again?

You cannot (and will not) force them to continue to rent to you after your lease is up. Why are you refusing to give them your email address? Emails are printable (read: written documentation), and you could negotiate with them over the cash amount they are offering. You do realize that the cash offer will go away if you insist on staying through the end of your lease, don't you?

Bottom line is: you ARE going to move. Now or 6 months from now...but you ARE going to be moving. If you move now, THEY will pay your first / last / deposit for your new place in exchange for you leaving now. If you stay for 6 months, YOU will have to come up with first / last / deposit AND keep paying rent to them. What they plan to do with the house is none of your business and you cannot force them to keep you as a tenant after your lease.

Keep in mind, if you force them to honor the lease and turn down their offer to move out early...you will be on your own. Heaven forbid something break or you have a leak in the roof or something else comes up that you would normally call your landlord to fix. You can bet these folks won't lift a finger to repair anything for you.
Um, I disagree. The new owner still has to abide by state law in terms of repair and maintenance. $1200 isn't much if rents in the area are high.

The federal law was passed for just this scenario. The investor shouldn't have purchased if they didn't want to deal with the current tenant.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,419,228 times
Exclamation sure...

Quote:
I have been renting a house in Florida for 3 years. the house went into foreclosure and was sold at auction on march 13th. I came home and found a note on my door from the realtor representing the giant company that bought the house. This was the first i heard of the auction sale and results. They offered me $ 1200 to vacate in 15 days. I said I have no money to move and need the 90 days that the foreclosure act of 2009 says i am entitled. They keep pressing me to leave, yet I have not received a written notice. I want to stay and rent the house . any ideas how to handle this. This was a suprise. I need the 3 months to save up 1st last and security somewhere else.
tell them how much money you need to be able to vacate in 15 days. That will either shut them up or you will have the funds you require to accomodate them.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting