Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,137 times

Advertisements

My husband and I rent a SFH. The house was built in 1961. It has been upgraded a little bit - half of the basement was finished sometime in the 80s (I think), and the kitchen was redone in the last few years. These upgrades were a big part of the reason we selected this house.

However, in the 9 months we've lived here, it's become clear that these upgrades were done on the cheap, with shoddy materials. Every time something breaks - which is often - the property manager is aghast by the hack job he's had to fix.

We are starting to worry that the owner did not get a permit for the work she did on the house and used the cheapest unlicensed labor that she could find. While this doesn't matter so much when you're talking about a shoddy paint job, it does matter when you're talking about wiring and plumbing. And there are some funny things going on in both arenas.

In short, I'm not *terrified* to live here, but I am mildly concerned. We would be very happy to move and take our impeccable rental history to a responsible landlord. The problem is that we're less than 1 year into a 4 year lease

Bottom line: what would you do in this situation? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,835 times
make sure you have good renters insurance ... and pray ..
the wireing and the plumbing are a concern .. BUT as long as the pm is good about getting out there and fixing the mess then you should be ok .. if its something really dicey in the wireing then call the city inspectors in .. .. yup it might cost you the house but better safe than sorry ..

Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
As long as the unit is habitable... a term defined by code... I don't see many options.

Sounds like the owner is having repair work done and the worker is correcting things as they occur.

In four years, everything should be in good shape.

Just curious... why did you sign a 4 year lease? One of the biggest benefits to renting is the flexibility to move.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:16 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,854 times
Yes, the four-year lease is crazy.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just curious... why did you sign a 4 year lease? One of the biggest benefits to renting is the flexibility to move.
I know. I easily count this lease as one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I would give ANYTHING to go back in time and not sign it. It's just that my husband and I have moved six times since 2006, due to job transfers. We are so, so sick of moving. Especially now that we have small children. When it became clear that work would be keeping us put in the same geographic spot for a few years, we were happy to sign a long lease accordingly. We really didn't think we would WANT to move before the four year lease was up.

We also thought it would save us money. Because we live in one of the few areas of the country that still has a tight, expensive housing market, rents around us just keep going up. With a long-term lease, we were able to lock in a relatively reasonable price. We thought we were doing a financially savvy thing.

We never imagined a situation where we would worry that the house was unsafe. We've rented a million times before, and we've never encountered anything like this. Most landlords keep their properties in decent shape because they see it as an investment, especially at the price point we are paying. We just had the terrible luck to get a landlord who doesn't give a s*@&, and geniuses that we are, we rewarded her with a 4 year lease

Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I was certain you have your reasons... just curiosity on my part.

I think the real problem would be if the Landlord was unresponsive... so far, it sounds like needs are being addressed.

Good Luck

Old 02-21-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I was certain you have your reasons... just curiosity on my part.

I think the real problem would be if the Landlord was unresponsive... so far, it sounds like needs are being addressed.

Good Luck
Thanks The landlord is responsive, yes...but very reluctantly so. I think she is often pushed by the property manager, so I'm thankful that we were at least smart enough to go through a management company.

Like this most recent repair, it took almost 8 weeks for the PM to get authorization from the landlord to spend money on it. (It was a broken dishwasher, not a structural concern, fortunately.)

Old 02-21-2010, 10:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Move is my answwer.Otherwsie loks like your stuck.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:29 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,019,127 times
Why would you tie yourself into a 4 year lease?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:51 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Why would you tie yourself into a 4 year lease?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/12998760-post5.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting