Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 11,587 times

Advertisements

Okay here's my issue:
I am currently renting a two bedroom, with another person, I am the lease holder (along with my father as guarenter) and my roomate is as a occupant. Now, recently, about a few weeks ago, she left a light on the floor, for one of her terrariums, and it turned on by itself (its on a timer) and I found it in the morning, it had melted the carpet. Now I cut the melted part away to stop any furhter damage or mold, but now theres a hole in my carpet. I know itll need to be fixed, probably competely replaced... its a big living room.

Now I know Im the lease holder... but I did not cause the damage. Am I going to have to pay for her mistakes? Or is there some way I can tell the apartment management to billl her? Or would I have to get the cops involved (if they bill me and she wont pay me back for it)?

We've been here for about 5 months and do not plan on moving out any time soon.... so we still have the rest of the year. What do I do?
I have apartment insurance too... but would that pay for it? Would my insurance spike?

I'm in trouble, can someone help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 04:52 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
I have no idea on the insurance, not my area of expertise.

As to the responsibility, if you are the person on the lease, and the roommate is not, you are responsible for damage that happens inside the unit while you live there. Especially if the damage was caused by someone you allowed into the house. If you didn't cause the damage, and the person who did won't pay for it, you probably have to take them to small claims court. If you don't pay it, and your father is on the lease as a cosigner, the LL will attempt to collect from your father. If he doesn't pay either, the LL has the right to have a judgment placed against both you and your father and it will go on both of your credit reports.

However, after I read that again, I see the roommate is listed as an occupant. Did they sign the lease? If so, they are possibly jointly responsible with you. However, again, if they don't pay it, the LL is going to come after you and your father to get paid.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:10 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
Am I going to have to pay for her mistakes? Yes the landlord will go after you and your father you need to go after her

Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
I doubt patching would work. The entire room will need replacing. Cost is variable depending on the age before you moved in. To give you an idea of how carpet is calculated...The life of carpet is about 7 yrs. So if the carpets 2 yrs old at move in, you owe 5yrs of carpet life... at lets say 500. for the room. Your percentage would be roughly 350.

Does your Landlord do inspections, do you plan to report the damage now?

Apartment insurance may cover the cost of the damage. It's definately worth contacting them.
Will the insurance go up? Possibly...

Old 02-10-2010, 12:31 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Luckily the whole place didn't burn to the ground... something like that was in the media when a terrariums lamp caused a 4-unit building to burn to the ground... taking with it the tenants prized reptile collection.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
You said nothing in your post about talking to her about the damage. Did you talk to her and tell her she would have to pay for it? That would be a good first step.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
A little off topic...

I have a tenant that accidentally damaged the new Living Room carpet when a gallon bottle of bleach leaked in her shopping bag.

She had only been in the home for 2 weeks... The bleach really damaged the carpet and was very apparent covering an area more than 2'

No question it was an accident.

Anyway... just to show the character of some people... she is voluntarily sending in an extra $10 a month to cover the carpet and has been doing so over a year... she doesn't want it replaced for now and has a throw rug covering it.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-10-2010 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2010, 03:47 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,740,211 times
I bet you can get it patched. I have had a carpet guy come in and patch a 1 foot by one foot piece of carpet. They have a tape they use for seams which gets melted on the backside of the carpet with a carpet iron. It's the same as when they seam a carpet for a big room. You just need to have a matching peice of carpet to do this. Did you get a deposit from the roommate? That's what deposits are for. My guess it will cost about $100 to get it repaired if you have a matching piece. Maybe tell your landlord about it first and see what he says. Cops wouldn't get involved. If she won't pay then you take her to small claims with photos and your lease.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Badcially read your contract. Its like any claim of danage;its either covered by a contract as to damages or thru the claim in a civil suit for damages. You are basically subletting to your roommate really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting