Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
LOL When I first read your thread the old tv show Chips came to mind..one of them used to live in a singles community.

I don't see why they can't have adults only places..they have senior only places and believe me they enforce those rules too. No over night visits by anyone under the age limit. LOL

I'm not so sure that's legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
It's not. And I seriously doubt it happens - I think that was just humor to make a point.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:40 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
There are apartments for seniors only, apartments for non-smokers, for non-pet owners, but there needs to be some apartments for people without kids/singles, etc.

Why, do you ask? Because every apartment I have ever lived in, kids make it 10 times worse for those of us without any. Discuss.
If you were around back in the 70's you'll recall apartments did this all the time. There were "all Adult" complexes and even "All Adult Nude" complexes.

That's when the Federal Govt added "Family Status" to the protected classes that you could not discriminate against. Adults with kids were finding it very difficult to find a place to rent.

There are exceptions for the over 55 senior community.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you were around back in the 70's you'll recall apartments did this all the time. There were "all Adult" complexes and even "All Adult Nude" complexes.

That's when the Federal Govt added "Family Status" to the protected classes that you could not discriminate against. Adults with kids were finding it very difficult to find a place to rent.

There are exceptions for the over 55 senior community.

I thought there were apartments like that, but I was barely around in the 70s as a baby. Too bad the govenment chose the easy option.

However, why not separate communities for families, and separate communities for adults?

Since there are many more apartments now than in the 70s, it would work. Change the zoning laws to include this. So, for every 1-2 family complexes, there would be 1 adult complex, or whatever is agreed upon.

I don't see a problem with it. If I had children, I would choose a family apartment so my kid(s) would have many others to play with, and the complex could build more kid friendly things, like playgrounds, kiddie pools, have an organized play time in the club house, as well as child care on site.

Who thinks this is a bad idea?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
A little information can go a very long way.

Quote:
Additionally, the 1988 amendment added people with disabilities and families with children to the classes covered by the Act.
Civil Rights Act of 1968 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
(BOSTON, March 11, 2010) -- The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Attorney General’s office entered into a settlement on Thursday with an Allston-based real estate company resolving allegations that the company refused to rent to a family with a small child...
“We are facing critical housing needs in the Commonwealth and the strain on families with children is particularly great,” said Attorney General Martha Coakley. “Realtors, brokers and landlords in Massachusetts should understand that discrimination against families with children is illegal, and we will seek to hold accountable those who break the law.”
National Fair Housing Advocate Online

Some of us remember very well what it was like before the 1988 Amendment, and how difficult it was for many families who tried to obtain housing. I lived with my first husband in an 'adult' apartment complex, and we were forced to move when I became pregnant.

Since no one is discriminating against single adults without children (that fact alone), I hardly see that group as suffering. Meanwhile, cases still arise of discrimination against families, minorities, and disabled persons.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:54 PM

^^^^^ Yes, we already covered that.

Did you not read my last post?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:58 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
^^^^^ Yes, we already covered that.

Did you not read my last post?
Quote:
However, why not separate communities for families, and separate communities for adults?

You may have covered it, but it wasn't apparent that you understood it.

Separate = Discrimination under the law.

Last edited by rayneinspain; 03-16-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 05:09 PM

I am aware of the laws, but as I said before, I am PRETENDING the laws are not there. This is a hypothetical thought experiment.

There are many laws I don't agree with.

My question was, why would communities that cater to a certain clientele be bad? Why can we separate seniors?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I'm not so sure that's legal.

Yup, it's legal. There was a big hub-bub here in Fl when a grandma had the nerve to have her grandchild stay with her for 2 weeks. when she bought in the park she agreed to their rules..no one under the age of 55.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:22 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:
I thought there were apartments like that, but I was barely around in the 70s as a baby. Too bad the govenment chose the easy option.

Since there are many more apartments now than in the 70s, it would work. Change the zoning laws to include this. So, for every 1-2 family complexes, there would be 1 adult complex, or whatever is agreed upon.

I don't see a problem with it. If I had children, I would choose a family apartment so my kid(s) would have many others to play with, and the complex could build more kid friendly things, like playgrounds, kiddie pools, have an organized play time in the club house, as well as child care on site.

Who thinks this is a bad idea?
separate but equal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting