Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:42 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times

Advertisements

I turn 55 soon and hope to "retire" from my current job at 60. I won't be able to afford not to work but while I like what I do I am tied to a few specific location choices none of which I like.
I yearn to be free to live where I want! Even if I don't know where that is
So I figure I will still have to work, at least part time depending on how 'poor' I want to live.
What I do know doesn't really translate to any other specific second career or job and I'm not sure I want any job/career related stress anyway.
So I'm trying to come up with ideas in case there are some good ones that may take a little prep in way of classes, experience etc.
I have a bad back so anything that requires standing is out.
I do like to drive, preferably in rural areas.
I think working full time 6 months out of the year vs. part time at one job year round would be ideal but have no idea what fields there might be along those lines that don't require a good back (like landscaping).

Do you work in your retirment? Know people who do? Any cool ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,811,290 times
You could get a certificate or degree in the medical field.
There are usually specific jobs available in almost any area. That will allow flexibility with where you live and how you choose to work. Working six months out of the year sounds ideal, but employers may not be willing to hire and train you to work such a short time. Most employers will consider permanent part time work.

I chose to work part time in the same field after retirement. Some days are stressful, but the good part is that I keep my finances within my retirement budget, I don't work everyday, I can take off whenever I want and I can leave whenever I choose.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:21 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I turn 55 soon and hope to "retire" from my current job at 60. I won't be able to afford not to work but while I like what I do I am tied to a few specific location choices none of which I like.
I yearn to be free to live where I want! Even if I don't know where that is
So I figure I will still have to work, at least part time depending on how 'poor' I want to live.
What I do know doesn't really translate to any other specific second career or job and I'm not sure I want any job/career related stress anyway.
So I'm trying to come up with ideas in case there are some good ones that may take a little prep in way of classes, experience etc.
I have a bad back so anything that requires standing is out.
I think working full time 6 months out of the year vs. part time at one job year round would be ideal but have no idea what fields there might be along those lines that don't require a good back (like landscaping).

Do you work in your retirment? Know people who do? Any cool ideas?
Work for a senior center as a driver. Or start your own business as a driver.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
The driver thing is a possibility. Although I'm not sure I'm strong enough to help infirm passengers in and out of a car/van. My mother gives the 60 yr old daughter of an equally elderly neighbor a 20 fairly frequently to get groceries and such (I cannot live near my mother because of my job). Sort of a rural taxi thing with pick up of groceries or medications as a side?
So to determine whether this is a possibility I would need to start researching small business, driving licenses, insurance, bonding etc.
Not sure if there's a market. I would hope actually that neighbors would help out with this sort of thing with or without the added 20.00

I like the science aspects of medicine but can't think of anything that doesn't take a significant amount of schooling - like 4 yrs for nursing. Sort of moot anyway, I can't stand needles and even to be an x-ray technician they make you go through a class where you have to learn to draw blood. Not happening. Generic office work in a dr's office sure but that doesn't take special training.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
The driver thing is a possibility. Although I'm not sure I'm strong enough to help infirm passengers in and out of a car/van. My mother gives the 60 yr old daughter of an equally elderly neighbor a 20 fairly frequently to get groceries and such (I cannot live near my mother because of my job). Sort of a rural taxi thing with pick up of groceries or medications as a side?
So to determine whether this is a possibility I would need to start researching small business, driving licenses, insurance, bonding etc.
Not sure if there's a market. I would hope actually that neighbors would help out with this sort of thing with or without the added 20.00

I like the science aspects of medicine but can't think of anything that doesn't take a significant amount of schooling - like 4 yrs for nursing. Sort of moot anyway, I can't stand needles and even to be an x-ray technician they make you go through a class where you have to learn to draw blood. Not happening. Generic office work in a dr's office sure but that doesn't take special training.
How about medical billing/transcribing? I know a lot of people who've taken the classes at our local comm. college and work from home after being certified. I think the course was around 6-8 weeks and folks "of a certain age" can get some really good deals on classes.

There definitely IS a market for in home helpers for the elderly here. Some do CNA work, some just do housework, some just do errands and some, like I did, do a bit of everything. Very easy work, nothing back breaking or physically challenging...usually. And I always had the option of saying I didn't want a particular job and could work as many hours as I wanted. We did 4 hour shifts mostly, some 8 hour and some overnights. But, again, those are options. I had to quit doing it because I get too emotionally involved with people and I always seemed to get the terminal cases. I gave it a 'good go' for two years though.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
Sadly, many elderly and shut-ins cant afford to pay someone to run errands or take them to appointments regularly. After I've recovered from recent surgeries, I'm going to volunteer my time to take the elderly and shut-ins to medical/therapy appointments, do their grocery shopping, pick up prescriptions, take their pets to the vet and just check in on them regularly. If you enjoy driving, I'd encourage you to volunteer your services, as well.

Regarding a way to earn extra $$$ after you retire...many elderly need a handyman-type to do small jobs around the house for them. My handyman said that he has elderly clients who call him to change a light bulb because they cant manage it physically. Think about the little things you do around your house...washing the exterior of your windows, repairing minor leaks in the bathroom and kitchen, draining the water heater annually, etc. An elderly woman (or man) might be reluctant to let a strange man into her house but she might be more comfortable with a woman. Performing services like that for the elderly might be a good source of additional income.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
How's about bookkeeping or entry level accounting. Requires some additional education but not like a 4 year degree.

Small business would be where you'd want to look for work..p/t or full time.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:13 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
A second job during retirement can be an activity that you do yourself that when you were working, you paid the expense, because you did not have the time to do it or learn how.

One of the biggest expense of living is food and eating out in restaurants which can easily be hundreds of dollars every month. When you worked, you ate out much and justified it because you were tired and did not have the time to cook and never took the time to learn to cook. So, learn to buy sensibly and cook all your meals at home. Eat rarely at restaurants or not at all.

There are people in my neighborhood who spend $30-50 a day and eat every meal out. On the weekends, when they do not work, they line up to get a breakfast meal at some mudane "run of the mill" restaurant and pay too much for eggs, bacon and pancakes--which you can easily make that yourself. Everybody has forgotten how to make coffee?? Believe it or not, thermos and lunch pails are still available. I see these people leave their house in their car and return with a fast food bag food; spending the time on gas and waiting in line when they can cook all that simple food themselves-faster and cheaper.

Many people view dining as entertainment and they have to go out everyday for coffee at Starbucks. That is fine, if you have the money. But why work part time in retirement to earn money which is lessened by taxes just to pay your eating out bills.

If you are unskilled how much money are you going to make?? at what wage. If you make $10 a hour and work 20 hours a week. You may bring in about $160 dollars after taxes and expenses. You then eat out more and possibly buy your lunch when you work and you can easily spend $30 a day for your meals/cofffee/snacks/drinks and that would $210. You would be not be earning any extra income for a loss of $50 dollars.

Or you can buy that same amount of food for 35-50 dollars and you can stay home and labor at cooking which would be less hours; and take more naps.

The same can be said if you previously hired people to maintain your car; paint your house; do the plumbing; do the yard work; wash your car etc. Do it all yourself and consider all self labor as your part-time job that will earn/save extra money. In addition, you will not have to pay taxes on your labor; you will not have to listen to another boss--who needs that after years of work and you are in control of more of your time.

Or make it simpler, save money, by buying less junk and spending money on useless wasteful entertainment that only makes an overpaid actor or athelete richer. Read a book and take more walks in the parks.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-25-2011 at 05:43 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 04:37 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,642 times
Quote:
Don't know where you live, but car rental companies (Hertz, Avis, Enterprise...) in the southern states hire mostly retirees. This may or may not be the same in other states, I can only pass along my first hand experience.

Each driver would drive a car one way from a local site to the airport of a neighboring state, or a car auction site. On the way back (or vice-versa), all drivers would be transported in a van. You don't have the same hours each week. A couple of years ago, when I worked for Hertz in Charleston, SC, we were usually scheduled for ~25 hours/wk.

The companies like retirees because they (the retirees) are always available, and the retirees like that kind of part-time job because of the flexible hours. Everyone wins.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:32 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,811,290 times
Livecontent,

I agree with all that you said. I have never been an eat out type of person; don't know what it is like to buy a cup of coffe, and I hate fast food. I only eat out for special occasions, which is seldom. Just don't want to spend my money on somebody else's cooking.

I retired early because I got tired of the work demands and my son was already out of college and working a secure job. Most of my friends still work full time. Three days a week give me some work time and time to do whatever I want. I am not ready to be at home everyday.
My plan is to completely retire at 62, maybe 61, maybe 60 or whenever I get tired of working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement