Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times

Advertisements

It used to be that it was only corporations that sent you letters phishing for information but now governments have gotten into the act.

For example my state guv like most state guv's is desperately looking for more income. So they sent me a computer generated letter suggesting that I have a business account that I have not paid taxes for. They've given me a form which I should send in telling them that I have this account. The problem is that simply sending in the form even writing no on stuff tells the gov that I probably have such an account that need delinquent checking. I just ignore it. If they really had something on me they would be specific. I have no business account. Its like the federal IRS, to moment you open your mouth to them, it gives them the right to go after you. Say nothing and they can't really say anything to you unless they actually have something to say.

Got no idea what the SSA has in mind with some recent letter asking me to give that all the information again which they got from me before and which my former employer already got to them. They want me to fill out some new form and send it back to them. I'm ignoring that one too unless they send me another one, and then I'll call the office and ask why they need information that they already have? I'm not even 100% positive that its really from the SSA.

Getting tired of these phishing letters that even guv's are getting into now.

Stepping down now from the Ranting Stool!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 10:04 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Good for you. I agree, too much bs going on. Junk mail, phishing for information, etc. Scams that look like official government mail, postcards saying you won a cruise, call 1-800 etc when you know you never entered any sweepstakes, official "car warranty expiring" that one assumes is from the actual dealership but is some scam company that got your info off of a mailing list. It never ends. If I didn't initiate it, or comes from a company I deal with, it goes into file 13. And "official" emails??? Nope, they get deleted right away. If it is legit, I will get something in the "snail mail" (ie from my bank).

Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I think we all have to be careful and if it is from the SSA you can always verify the address. I would be hesitant to just ignore anything from SSA since I do need that check every month.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
I'm not talking about email here.... I'm talking about thendless scams in snail mail that I never used to see before. When the SSA sends me a bunch of questions that I alrteady filled out when I applied, and when I talked to them in person, clearly the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, especially if the right hand is a computer.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
The recycling bin is kept directly below the mailbox.

Anything the USPS delivers that doesn't have first class postage on it?
Directly into the bin: it never even gets into the house.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
You can take steps to minimize junk mail: https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs4...htm#getofflist

Old 08-25-2011, 03:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I recently recieved a snail mail form from SSA asking me how much I had earned this year so far and how much I was going to earn next year. They helpfully informed me that this year there was a ceiling as to how much I could earn but next year there would not be. Like I didn't already know that.

My answers were all 0,0,0,0,0,0's. I felt like saying "Who wants to know?"

I mean, if I earned money it would appear on my tax returns for this year and why would they ask about next year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement