Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Mudge -- I am not trying to discredit what you have said, but my personal experience was different. I had the good fortune to work in engineering management at a foreign company's US R&D lab. Even though I was older, the thought of retirement never crossed my mind. I especially enjoyed my colleagues and (believe it or not) my higher-ups. OTOH, I had the bloody misfortune to work a while for a "Fortune-10" company associated with the color blue, and was appalled by the dirtbag way they treated just about everyone they got their hands on except the CEO and the HR VP. Couldn't wait to get out, and thought about retirement every day. Yuck! I also taught at a major university for a while, and worked for some smaller companies, which were mixed bags. Bottom line for me -- there is such a thing as a good job (maybe they're not easy to find), and I would un-retire to go back to one if I could. But retirement has been a steady "pretty good" -- no complaints except for occasional boredom.
Don't feel discredited at all. Everyone's experience and druthers are different. I loved my job during most of it, working in politics and legislation with a primary policy area of forensic mental health issues. I analyzed bills, wrote statutes, testified before the Legislature on many occasions and found it challenging and rewarding. Unfortunately, our team began dissolving and then they promoted me to a higher level of management and the joy quickly disappeared. It just wasn't fun anymore and my last year was less than satisfying so I crunched the numbers and retired. One of the best decisions of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Yep. I'm still a few years' shy of qualifying for Medi-Care, otherwise I'd seriously considering retiring right now.
I'm honestly not sure how important a consideration Medicare is anymore since most doctors won't accept it anyway. Hopefully Obamacare will mutate into something useful over time.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'm honestly not sure how important a consideration Medicare is anymore since most doctors won't accept it anyway. Hopefully Obamacare will mutate into something useful over time.

Hoping for that change hasn't helped so far...

Old 12-08-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Hoping for that change hasn't helped so far...
Regretably very true. We can only hope that legislative surgery will improve it in time. Health insurance is the huge green horse fly in the ointment of my retirement plans.

Last edited by Bideshi; 12-08-2011 at 03:22 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 04:20 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Regretably very true. We can only hope that legislative surgery will improve it in time. Health insurance is the huge green horse fly in the ointment of my retirement plans.

insanity= doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I Say we throw ALL the scum out, "D" and "R" and do something new...

Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
insanity= doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I Say we throw ALL the scum out, "D" and "R" and do something new...
I'm with you on that!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:18 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
DO IT! DO IT NOW! A year before I could retire it's all I thought about, I even had a retirement countdown clock. Drove my co-workers crazy looking at that.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:34 PM

88,533 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
DO IT! DO IT NOW! A year before I could retire it's all I thought about, I even had a retirement countdown clock. Drove my co-workers crazy looking at that.
LOL, so did a guy in my office. He retired a few months ago. He was using that countdown website and could always tell you exactly how many days he had left.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
I'm the opposite. I can't figure out what I would do with myself if I retired. I would get bored doing nothing, or nothing that contributes to the upkeep of society and good of my fellow human being. Just fishing or golf or traveling would get pretty boring fast. I get bored with this stuff now, so I sure don't want it full time. I'm planning some job, probably part time, that's not too demanding to make some income for quite a while. Haven't got it quite figured out yet, but I will once I get there.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
You could go into an 'extreme savings' mode - you can find info on this on the net...then maybe you could quit earlier. You can only do so much of that, I've found. I'm ok so long as I get a couple of nice trips per year and a few splurges which include going to a really nice restaurant.

What I did was max 401K and Roth plus buy rental properties on 5 to 7 year notes. Killer, but now I'm done and can quit when I'm ready. I am in the 'a couple more years' mode to build up for extras but that appears to be a trap according to people on early retirement blogs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement