Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times

Advertisements

Interesting article about potential missed benefits for the elderly, might even be helpful for some folks participating in this forum:

"It is no secret that millions and millions of Americans are struggling right now, but help is just a phone call away," said Sandy Markwood, chief executive of n4a. "This campaign is about connecting those in need with the support that is right at their fingertips."

The $20 billion was based on estimates of the collective population eligible for benefits but were not receiving them, said Brandy Bauer, a spokeswoman for NCOA.

U.S. seniors missing out on $20 bln of benefits | Reuters

Those interested can learn more about potential benefits at these two sites:

- BenefitsCheckUp, listing over 2,000 private and public programs for lower income folks with Medicare

BenefitsCheckUp.org

- Eldercare Locator, provided by the U.S. Administration on Aging

Eldercare Locator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Interesting article about potential missed benefits for the elderly, might even be helpful for some folks participating in this forum:

"It is no secret that millions and millions of Americans are struggling right now, but help is just a phone call away," said Sandy Markwood, chief executive of n4a. "This campaign is about connecting those in need with the support that is right at their fingertips."

The $20 billion was based on estimates of the collective population eligible for benefits but were not receiving them, said Brandy Bauer, a spokeswoman for NCOA.

U.S. seniors missing out on $20 bln of benefits | Reuters

Those interested can learn more about potential benefits at these two sites:

- BenefitsCheckUp, listing over 2,000 private and public programs for lower income folks with Medicare

BenefitsCheckUp.org

- Eldercare Locator, provided by the U.S. Administration on Aging

Eldercare Locator
Although the premise is true . . . what the article doesn't relay is that many of the programs that are officially available are either out of funds or underfunded.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Not all seniors are poor, destitute ... in need of one or another forms of public assistance. That should be clear to everyone. Yes, help those who are truly needy. But let's not encourage people to make claims that are unwarranted.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Not all seniors are poor, destitute ... in need of one or another forms of public assistance. That should be clear to everyone. Yes, help those who are truly needy. But let's not encourage people to make claims that are unwarranted.
Someone here is encouraging that?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I don't think anyone is encouraging that. Some of these programs are so complicated and bound up with reams of paperwork, that the average senior would give up trying to apply for them. Thus, whether funded or unfunded, the money doesn't go to the senior, cause the senior doesn't know how to get it.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:14 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Thanks for this. I found a program my mom might be eligble for.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Thanks for this. I found a program my mom might be eligble for.
Good, that's why I provided the links, hopes it works out for her.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
I bookmarked each site to study since all I have to live on is a small pension and some social security. I've tried for some state programs but I always make just a few bucks over the limits to get help.

Thanks for the links.........

Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
One of the best programs (when funding is available) is for winterizing your home. Anyone who can qualify should definitely take advantage of that as it can reduce heating (and cooling) costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement