Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 PM

84 posts, read 224,006 times

Advertisements

Now that you are away from the grind, how have you become more you?

Not having retired yet, I see myself doing what I have always wanted to do but haven't had the time for. For instance saving sea turtles and counting the bat population. Maybe becoming a beekeeper.

Has anyone been able to realize their childhood dream in retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times
When I was growing up in the 40s and 50s there were four things most little boys wanted to grow up to be - cowboys, police, soldiers or firemen. During my checkered careers I managed to achieve three of the four. Thereafter my dream was to be retired and, voila, here I am. Mission(s) accomplished!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
I have seen some 'blossoming' below the belt

I did get back to my High School weight before I graduated a master's program (started that task after 'early' retirement).

Now, to get back to High School W-I-D-T-H, that is a bit more evasive

Were we really wearing 24" Waist sizes back then?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
When I was growing up in the 40s and 50s there were four things most little boys wanted to grow up to be - cowboys, police, soldiers or firemen. During my checkered careers I managed to achieve three of the four. Thereafter my dream was to be retired and, voila, here I am. Mission(s) accomplished!
Yep. It's never too late to be a cowboy

Old 02-15-2012, 08:19 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,955,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Which of those three professions were you engaged in?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Were we really wearing 24" Waist sizes back then?
That was back when there was one car per household. I think the Swanson TV dinners were the beginning of the downfall of the american waistline.

And I still want to be Jane Goodall when I grow up err.. retire!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM

413 posts, read 702,061 times
Maybe it's a cliche, but my ambition has been to become an artist in my retirement. I've started by taking drawing and photography classes at the community college, I'll be moving on to painting in the Fall. I've done some beautiful work, if I may say so myself, and it brings me joy.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,372,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering View Post
Not so much in retirement as in a career. As a child, when visiting my grandparents, I used to sit and read my grandfather's many conservation and firearms magazines. He was a Texas gunsmith. I used to read the magazine ads from several correspondence schools that asked something like "would you like to work in the field of wildlife conservation?" I credit those magazine ads for setting my eventual career path. Now retired from wildlife sciences, I find that I did what I set out to do as a child.

I wonder now if anyone has ever gotten a job in wildlife conservation through a correspondence school? I now realize that I was extremely lucky to break into a field that has always had a lot more applicants than jobs.

Anyway, I'm not blossoming anymore. I'm just enjoying my spare time.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,950,239 times
Retirement is not the " wonderful goal" I thought it would be. The last 6 years have been less than happy times. Being self employed all my life, I have done most everything and more several times. That was when I was NOT retired. Things change, we have to give up so much of what we worked for, the remains of the day finally caught up to me, and now that I am old, its impossible to recover.( lack of discretionary income ). Also you can loose a lot of your independence that was so important when you were working.
Maybe I just had too high of expectations when I was looking forward to those retirement years when all the fun stuff could be enjoyed even more, like hobbies, social relationships, little if any money problems. The bottom line, retirement sucks !

Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,817 times

Emphatically YES!

As a child, I grew up on the very low end of the blue collar socioeconomic spectrum in a boondock little town in Pennsylvania. It wasn't a "fun" existence and there was no money for travel and related experiences.

I was (still am) an avid reader and my childhood fascination and intellectual salvation was reading about different cultures, places and especially, ancient history.

Since retiring in 2007, I'm traveling the world several times each year and actually visiting the places and cultures of my early fascination(s). Its a blast!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement