Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:09 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,293 times

Advertisements

I've been spoiled with having access to Chicago news my entire life. Sure my neck of the woods (NW Indiana) did not get the same amount of local coverage as Chicagoland viewers, but many stations here would run our big stories. When I traveled to other cities and watched the local TV stations, it always seemed a bit disappointing to me and never did figure out why. Maybe it was that the TV settings in Chicago were a bit "glitzier," maybe the TV personalities were a bit more professional, or maybe it was just that it wasn't home.

After relocating to another part of the country, do you miss your previous home TV stations? Do you watch more of the cable / satellite news stations now? What is it that you miss most about your previous local TV news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
I have lived in numerous parts of the country and I absolutely detest the evening TV "news." It is all about short bites with as much sensationalism as possible and very little content, lots of ads and 50% sports. I have no interest in the folksy personalities of the news readers. I can learn more in 2 minutes looking at google news.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
It's fun traveling around the USA and watching the local news and getting a feel for what's important in a specific area. When we moved from Boston to Chicago in the late 90s, we wondered where the Middle East went. The news was all about the Bulls followed by human interest stories. Now local TV is bad everywhere. It's 20 - something year old women in cocktail dresses reporting on YouTubes that have gone viral and things I read on twitter earlier in the day.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:24 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,290,421 times
I haven't watched TV news -- local or national -- in 25+ years. There's just not enough to it for it to be interesting to me. I make exceptions for severe weather events and election returns. That's pretty much it. I do read my local paper and listen to NPR in the mornings, but I get the rest of my news online.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Most stations broadcast their local news on the interweb now.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:23 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
I record the Local News or just watch the First 5-7mins of it

After that it goes to commercials, weather, sports, and "features"

Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 AM

950 posts, read 925,031 times
I moved from Minnesota to north Arkansas in 2012 and was lamenting missing KSTP5 Minneapolis and the Minneapolis Tribune.

A month after being here I subscribed to the Little Rock Democrat Gazette and switched TV to DISH so I could get local news via KAIT8 Jonesboro.

The daily newspaper and local TV is something I will never give up and both down here have exceeded my expectations.

I am well satisfied with both and feel right at home in my new location.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I've been spoiled with having access to Chicago news my entire life. Sure my neck of the woods (NW Indiana) did not get the same amount of local coverage as Chicagoland viewers, but many stations here would run our big stories. When I traveled to other cities and watched the local TV stations, it always seemed a bit disappointing to me and never did figure out why. Maybe it was that the TV settings in Chicago were a bit "glitzier," maybe the TV personalities were a bit more professional, or maybe it was just that it wasn't home.

After relocating to another part of the country, do you miss your previous home TV stations? Do you watch more of the cable / satellite news stations now? What is it that you miss most about your previous local TV news?
As a frequent visitor to Chicago, I think you have good reason to miss the Chicago newscasters. They do a terrific job, in my estimation -- very engaging and professional. I'm especially a fan of Rob Johnson on CBS. (i think it's CBS.)

Where I live now, in the Orlando area, the local news people are just OK, but they're a lot better than the decidedly small-time people I used to see up in Tallahassee. A news anchor should not have both an obvious toupee and a pronounced regional accent.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Can't stand the farce that is TV news, be it large market or small.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 AM

197 posts, read 209,079 times
I agree with poetry--it is interesting to see local newscasts (and read local newspapers) when traveling to see what's important in other sections of the country and how they deal with their issues.

We lived in Madison, WI, for our working lives and were quite content with local stations. Yes, there is fluff news, commercials, and young/vapid newsreaders.

Since moving to San Diego a couple of years ago for retirement, we're quite impressed with the local stations' handling of news. More professional, smooth, and polished than we're used to. However, the local perception seems to me to be highly critical--comments about how terrible and worthless the local news programs are. I guess we must be easily satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement