Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Well, it depends on how old you are (I'm 59) and what kind of family or place you grew up in. Poorer and blue-collar women have always worked, just not in "good" jobs. Women didn't have access to the education, support or skills for many jobs, especially "wives." ... it's hard for me to get nostalgic about any time where I wasn't a full citizen or full human being in society.

I'm 65 (66 next month) so I grew up in the same time that you did.

Regarding work opportunities for women: My mother was born in Germany and lived on a farm with a dirt floor there. She emigrated to the US in 1939, a time when immigrants had to be sponsored by someone here who would agree to be responsible for that person's housing, health care, job status, criminal activities, etc. A distant relative in New York sponsored her and, because she spoke no English, she took a job as a live-in nanny/housekeeper to learn our language from interaction with that family.

After she met/married my father and had three kids, his job resulted in their being transferred to Houston. She got a "temporary" job as a low-paid office assistant to a realtor so they could recoup some of the money they spent on the move. Through hard work and more hard work, she then became a realtor -- and, although she never lost her deep German accent and her handwriting in English was almost illegible (have you ever seen German handwriting?) for the rest of her life, she had an awesome career for the next 40 years -- mainly because of her no-nonsense, honest, very hard-working German approach to life. The homes in her sales area sold for $25,000-$35,000 but she was a member of the Millionaire Sales Club every year from its inception until her retirement.

I'm sorry that you feel you werent a full human being in society. But I know about the opportunities available to women in those years. Nothing was ever given to my mother. She was widowed early and "made" all her good luck and good life on her own.

Last edited by TFW46; 03-10-2012 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 05:23 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I miss living in someplace where I feel like I belong. Society has changed so much in so many ways, and most not for the better. I can't even come up with one, there are so many. If I could change one thing, it would be that there wouldn't be music every place you go.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
What I miss most is the loss of the ability to walk the streets alone, even at night, leave things unlocked,let your kids out the door without even giving a thought to whether or not they'll return....teaching your kids to always smile and say Hello, even to strangers....to give directions to those that stop and ask for assistance.....the ability to hitchhike.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:20 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times
I don't miss anything about the old days.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Most wives didnt work and didnt need to work. Life was affordable. Families could live on one salary because there werent so many expensive "necessities" to buy. The "family unit" was, for the most part, intact. Family members all ate dinner together and interacted with each other.
Those were the days when a woman's salary (if you could call it that) wasn't considered by banks for mortgage loan purposes because she might get pregnant.

I don't miss much from the "old" days. As a child, I tip-toed in fear of my parent's wrath and I lied about going to church on Sunday. Cars were big and ugly and took up what is now a 2-car driveway, B&W TV, telephone party-line, frumpy I-Love-Lucy clothes, nope nothing! But I do miss my Mom's cooking!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 AM

379 posts, read 533,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I'll probably get slammed for this but I dont mean it the way it's going to sound.

I miss the days before Lyndon B Johnson's "Great Society" created a welfare-dependent culture. Everyone pulled his/her own weight and no one thought twice about doing so. No one felt entitled to have the government pay his/her way for generations.

There were jobs for everyone. Most wives didnt work and didnt need to work. Life was affordable. Families could live on one salary because there werent so many expensive "necessities" to buy. The "family unit" was, for the most part, intact. Family members all ate dinner together and interacted with each other.
texasfirewheel, I agree 100%! Kids played outside with often times nothing more than their imagination, not sitting in front of the boob tube playing video games all day long eating out of a bag of chips. We always had dinner, at the dinner table, and talked about our day. I see young people these days with no manners at all, looking to see what others can do for them, trying to get that almighty disability check.

As a probation officer, I will never forget one young 30ish girl I had as a client. When I asked her where she worked, she said, "Oh, I get a check!!"
I asked what kind of check, to which she answered "Disability!" I said she was awfully young to be disabled, what was her disability? "My back," she replied. "I have scoliosis, degenerative disk disease, and arthritis!" And so I said, "I HAVE THE EXACT SAME BACK PROBLEMS. Do you mean to tell me that I get my butt up at 5:00 a.m. everyday to come to work, and I could be home and get a check!!" I don't think what I was saying registered with her. Gheesh! I see so many of our young people (the ones I see on a daily basis are deadbeats and criminals) with no ambition, no drive, no morals, no goals....just looking what someone else can do for them.

Back to the way it used to be, my mother sewed most of our clothes. We didn't have to have $100+ jeans, designer clothes, etc. My mother could make a meal out of one chicken to feed the entire family of 6 (my grandmother lived with us). I learned so much from her! I appreciate both of my parents for instilling values and morals to my sisters and me. I know I was fortunate that I was raised in a loving home, and with 2 parents.

I will also say this: occasionally I come across a young person that is hard-working, ambitious, and responsible. I like to tell them that they have restored my faith in young people!!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
I miss the newspaper...getting to work early to read "the latest", perusing the Sunday ads for weekly sales. Sure, there's still newspapers but that route is not necessary

Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
I miss the newspaper...getting to work early to read "the latest", perusing the Sunday ads for weekly sales. Sure, there's still newspapers but that route is not necessary
And whatever happened to magazines like Life, Saturday Evening Post and Look?

Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
I miss my youth I guess. I'm very happy where I am, intellectually, financially, spiritually. But I'd sure like my 25-year old body back!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:29 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I miss my youth I guess. I'm very happy where I am, intellectually, financially, spiritually. But I'd sure like my 25-year old body back!
Me too. All this talk about some mythical Ozzie and Harriet world is not what I remember. But I sure would like my old body back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement