Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:36 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times

Advertisements

Some people see their docs for a really long time. At which age does your doc normally retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 01:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,393,356 times
Both of my brothers were doctors in California. One retired at 55, the other at 59. The latter was a surgeon and he felt that at 59, he was not at the top of his game anymore, despite being a marathon runner in superlative shape.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
There's no "normal" age for doctors retiring. How could there be? Some work for giant corporations like Kaiser which may have rules re: retirement,others are independent business people. Why don' t you ask your doctor what his/her plans are and who will take over the practice? Can't hurt.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,674,237 times
I don't know about doctors, but I know that my husband is 68 and still working just to provide (Kaiser) health care insurance for us and he is no longer at the "top" of his game. I'm sure he would have enjoyed the last ten years of leisure if he didn't have to support their leisure years. Our experience with Kaiser doctors is that they seem to rotate out of the system after only a few short years and what is replacing them is very unqualified which puts patients at high risk.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:26 PM

144 posts, read 318,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I don't know about doctors, but I know that my husband is 68 and still working just to provide (Kaiser) health care insurance for us and he is no longer at the "top" of his game. I'm sure he would have enjoyed the last ten years of leisure if he didn't have to support their leisure years. Our experience with Kaiser doctors is that they seem to rotate out of the system after only a few short years and what is replacing them is very unqualified which puts patients at high risk.
I'm sorry that your husband has to work to get healthcare for you. But is it the price a man has to pay to marry a young wife?

At his age, he is qualified for medicare.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:47 PM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times
My doctor is in private practice and still working in his mid-70's. I've been seeing him for 30 years. He's an old-fashioned family doctor who loves what he does. When I had the flu and a high fever over the Thanksgiving weekend, he called me at home every day to check on how I was doing. He keeps saying he might retire "in about five years," but he never does. I don't know what I'll do when the day comes and I have to get used to someone else.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:01 PM

858 posts, read 2,994,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I don't know about doctors, but I know that my husband is 68 and still working just to provide (Kaiser) health care insurance for us and he is no longer at the "top" of his game. I'm sure he would have enjoyed the last ten years of leisure if he didn't have to support their leisure years.
As far as I'm concerned, most doctors earn what they make; sure there are some bas apples, but the majority are good.

They go to school for many years, then do internship.

They have your lives in their hands, and I'm glad they eran a decent income; they earn it.

Think about what so called "superstars" and Bankers make. Doctors are a relative bargan considering they save lives.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,631,555 times
Last doctor I was going to was 80 and he couldn't even hear what I was telling him was wrong with me. He constantly reminded everyone how old he was. His office had piped in music from 20's and was decorated as such. I felt like I had gone back in time. I'll never go to this dr again...hopefully by now he's retired. There should be a mandatory retirment age for physicians...or testing...just like for driving.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:31 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
I have a wonderful doctor in Tennessee. He's probably the best doctor I have ever had but when I first saw him I was looking on the wall for his high school diploma. Not worried about him retiring before I croak plus he's a local guy so I think he'll stay in the area.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM

46 posts, read 207,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Last doctor I was going to was 80 and he couldn't even hear what I was telling him was wrong with me. He constantly reminded everyone how old he was. His office had piped in music from 20's and was decorated as such. I felt like I had gone back in time. I'll never go to this dr again...hopefully by now he's retired. There should be a mandatory retirment age for physicians...or testing...just like for driving.
The doctors DO have to be re-certified and take exam every 10 years or so to make sure he is qualified an up-to-date to the new information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement