Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of astounded to read how many posters here think they don't have that long to live. Remember, genetics isn't everything. My dad died at age 62, my mom at 91. Is it true that you can take the median between your parents' deaths and come out with your own? I guess my number would be up at 75.

But let's face it, our parents, though they had better original constitutions than ours (having been born in eras of so much less toxins and fabricated foods, etc), as adults and older they didn't generally eat as well as we do and many were alcoholic and sugarholic. Generally we boomers are taking much better care of ourselves and getting more exercise than they did in their adulthood. So it's not all written in stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm kind of astounded to read how many posters here think they don't have that long to live. Remember, genetics isn't everything. My dad died at age 62, my mom at 91. Is it true that you can take the median between your parents' deaths and come out with your own?
Actually, that would lower my chances from 71 to 69.5. That would only give me four more years. I think I'll take the expectance/projected 71 instead.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
I have heart disease, diabetes and MS and now they tell me I have something else but they don't know what yet. My husband has diabetes, and was just diagnosed with mid stage Parkinson's. I don't think the idea that we will be dead in not that many years is too far off base.
My mother died of heart disease and diabetes at 62.
Both of us are clearly going downhill and speeding up as we go.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I have heart disease, diabetes and MS and now they tell me I have something else but they don't know what yet. My husband has diabetes, and was just diagnosed with mid stage Parkinson's. I don't think the idea that we will be dead in not that many years is too far off base.
My mother died of heart disease and diabetes at 62.
Both of us are clearly going downhill and speeding up as we go.
When you're on the downhill slide you tend to pick up speed. Let's hope it's toward recovery.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Let's hope not. At the risk of being trivial, "Where there's life there's hope!"
Yeah but I'm starting to experience 'the mind is willing but the body ain't able'

Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Kind of surprised at some of the answers

I mean I don't want to live until I'm 99 but I'm surprised so many think they won't be here in 10 years. I hope you are wrong on that!

Five years:
Ability to work remotely (if needed) and a combination of real work plus something for fun. I hope one of my children is married and that I have grandchildren and that I play an active part in their lives.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM

400 posts, read 738,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
how do you see yourself and your life in five years or ten years? where would you like to be? how would you like to be living? do you envision the same people in your life? do you see yourself still living independently?

just curious- it's a discussion friends and i have had
catsy girl
Lovely question!

Within five years I will be happily write-tired and living either where I am (Long Island, near beaches/woods), or in Florida, or in NE Pennsylvania -- or some combination of those, whatever is conducive to the creative juices and offers good medical facilities nearby. And an airport so I can get to my kids and they can get to me.

I want to spend my time doing the stuff I already love and some new stuff, little of which I've had time for, working fulltime for lo these many years: yoga, walking (which I do now), reading lots and lots of books on my Kindle, writing, going to conferences, bird-watching, breathing the fresh air, feeling the sand between my toes, eating chocolate, trying new recipes, decorating my space, perhaps flying again. I have my pilot's license, but have had some health issues and am also saving my money for write-tirement.

As a first step, just this week I cut down my work schedule from five to four days a week. Yesterday was my first day off, and it had a whole different feeling than other days off, because I knew it was the first of an infinite stream. It was glorious, I could really sense the possibilities in store as I reduce my workload further.

I'm hoping my honey will still be in my life. We live far apart and are trying to combine our lives now.

I've always been somewhat independent, and as long as I have a working car (yay, Honda) and my health stays as it is, I think I'll continue that way.

Create a vision for your life, and make it happen.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:06 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,959 times
regarding my own plans,certainly current age impacts how we view next five or ten years. also health is a major factor. it does seeem surprising to me that so many people are generally pesimistic about their futures.

i will probably be where i am now in five years, unless i develop very serious health issues. in ten years i will probably be in in a ccrc or some kind of retirement community with graduated levels of care. i will be 79 in ten years and i feel as i do not have any close family, that i will need to be in a setting where i can age with appropriate care available as i may need it. i also believe i need to make that change before physically and mentally it may be too daunting to do so. at this point, i'm thinking i'll move into such a facility at 76 or 77. probably the only reason i'd go sooner is if the significant other, who functions as family for me, dies before i do. again, this plan is predicated on still having a pension and being able to get something out of my house when i sell. who knows what you can count on these days? i have some possible facilities in mind and , at this point in time, would be possible to do. but again, who knows?

catsy girl

Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
In 5 years, I'll have been retired 3 years my wife will have just retired. We'll be in the same house and will likely stay at least a year or two more. In the 5-10 year period, we'll have likely moved, being closer to the kids (one will likely stay here forever). My wife only wants one move, but I'd like to try areas out before buying. So, in 10 years, we'll likely have just settled into our retirement home assuming we do move. We'll likely be there for another 15-25 years, assuming health issues don't require moving closer to major medical facilities.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM

399 posts, read 581,802 times
In five years, I see myself as a nurse, working in another state with 3-4 years of experience under my belt. I see myself with a dog (Male shiba inu), working 3 days a week and possibly contemplating going back to get my masters degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement