Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,023,186 times

Advertisements

Interesting report, there's more that concur.

More Retirees Opt for Short-Distance Moves | Realtor Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,167,925 times
I have to admit that of the various places we've been considering up and down the Atlantic coast, the place with the shortest distance (Williamsburg/Gloucester) seems to keep muscling its way in as a favorite. It's only 2 1/2 hours away, and that short distance is appealing for a lot of reasons. Here's why:

1. It will cost significantly less for us to move there than to Florida, California, Oregon, and other places that we have considered over the years. We could buy a place we like a year or so in advance, and then take our time moving things down there.

2. Staying in state may become a health insurance issue by the time we're ready to take the plunge. (Right now it isn't for us, but I have a feeling this may become a big problem for people.)

3. I like the taxes in this state and the general economic health here. Virginia is routinely listed as one of the best managed states right now.

4. I'm comfortable with the people who live in this part of the country. In my younger years I enjoyed trying out cities where the people were completely different, but as I get older comfort becomes more important than adventure. These days I want to move to a place where I already understand local customs, I know which stores are likely to have what I want, etc.

5. Living fairly near means my friends and family are more likely to visit. And vice versa--it's easier for me to attend weddings, funerals, parties, or just visit for no reason other than I miss them. Also, travelling to family events doesn't break the bank. As much as I like coastal NC, this is the big reason we can't move there.

6. Since it won't break the bank to move here, we would have enough money in the budget to try renting there for a few months to see if we really like it.

7. Even though it's geographically close, it's also different enough to be a little bit of an adventure. It'll be something new to try a small town, touristy area as opposed to living near the go-go-go pace of the DC metro area. Yet at the same time there will be enough familiarity for our comfort zone.

Last edited by Caladium; 05-01-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,595,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Interesting report, there's more that concur.

More Retirees Opt for Short-Distance Moves | Realtor Magazine
I always knew I was traditional! No puny little short moves for us. If you're gonna pack up and move then MOVE. Short hops don't count.

I would never want to live in any of the four cities cited.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,520,197 times
Interesting statistics in the linked article above, which takes you to another linked article which is the basis for the blurb in the realtor website.

There's substantial focus in the article regarding seniors selling homes for a good price then using the proceeds to buy something, downsized, not far from where they've lived all or most of their adult lives. That's not realistic for a large swath of the USA and probably what may be a majority of seniors who are facing low resale values.

Quote:
"Seniors may have to accept a lower price, but they'll be buying
at lower prices, too. And, since many of them have a great deal
of equity in their properties, they have few problems with
credit requirements on the new purchase."
FEATURE-Americans retire closer to home than in past | Reuters

But, it's food for thought.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM

698 posts, read 1,054,556 times
interesting article. in looking back, that describes what i did, and although i'd like to claim thoughtful, careful planning, the move to my present location was more a result of compromise and practicality. however, after 6 years, i have to say that it works on many levels, though i certainly didn't think in those terms when i made the move. i moved from maryland to delaware, to a smaller town, but close to more urban areas, much lower property taxes, no sales tax, and better break on taxing pensions. i am close ( 75-80 miles ) to friends in both cities where i have lived over the years, and am able to go back as frequently as i want to visit, catch up. i also have several friends from both of my previous locales visit a couple of times a year and spend the weekend - it's an easy drive. i am near good medical facilities, as well as many "cutting edge" medical centers in urban centers 75 miles away.
although i was certainly not "in love " with this area when i moved here it has proved to be perhaps the best of both worlds. although i sometimes think of relocating, the reality is i'll probably stay here for the next 7 years? until i go into a retirement community-ccrc or whatever may be better and available then.

catsy girl

Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,959,162 times
I feel very fortunate that I have been spared the agony of deciding where to move, and the work of moving once again. I knew I was three and a half years from retirement when I bought the townhouse where I still live, and I bought it with that in mind. Now, seven years after retirement, I have had no reason to change my mind; this townhouse is perfect for me and I will die here. Here are some reasons why I did not move at all:

1. I have friends and meaningful activities here in this area. I enjoy both the friends and the activities and see no reason to start over somewhere else making and finding new ones.
2. I can easily afford to stay here. This is the fruit of living well within my means for an entire lifetime.
3. I like this area. I like the weather and the cultural offerings, just to name two things.

However, I understand completely the various reasons why people move in retirement and I have no quarrel whatsoever with those who move:

1. Financial necessity. No point in struggling almost daily to put food on the table if one can relocate and live comfortably.
2. Weather. If a person has been shoveling snow all his life, I can understand being tired of it by now.
3. Proximity to children and grandchildren. This is a strong and natural human desire.

Of course there are other reasons; I do not claim to have created a definitive catalogue. I think the main reason I left out is simply Wanderlust. Some people are just not comfortable unless they are looking forward to the next new horizon, so they are continually on the lookout for where to go next. We have one or two of those here in the Retirement Forum. I have no quarrel with them either; I got that out of my system when I was younger but for some it is a permanent state and will never change.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,023,186 times
I have less and less of a desire to move far as possible news of a grandchild nears (it had better be soon, although of course I say nothing ).

What has beckoned me far "away" has been rapidly climbing property taxes in this state. It is getting unthinkable how average retired homeowners are going to handle this in the years to come. When I see the low property taxes as soon as you cross the border out of New England, I cannot believe the difference.

But I am offsetting the property taxes by saving about $1000 in car gas, so that is helping.

After a tour around NC/SC, which I liked very much visually, I've given up on the reason to move for better winter weather. My view of southern summmers is "deplorable," but then I'm just not acclimated to that climate. It's all a tradeoff, I now think. Pick your sixth months of weather problems (unless you live West or Southwest, of course).

I will move one more time, to a very small one floor house, probably before I hit 68. But I will retain my online curiosity about other places, traveling in my armchair between doing more lucrative things in the real world.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
although i was certainly not "in love " with this area when i moved here it has proved to be perhaps the best of both worlds.
A lot of wisdom here.

One thing I've noticed after a few years of my discovery tours is that the towns I easily fall "in love" with always seem to have problems when I seriously consider living there. (Just like the men I got crushes on when I was dating. Hmmmmm )

On the other hand, there are the towns that I'm not initially "in love with." As time passes, and I start seeing all the various pros of an area, those towns have a way of really growing on me.

Strangely, the same was true of my husband. I didn't fall in love at first sight. In fact friends told me he was perfect for me and (at first) I thought they were nuts. That worked out well--so maybe choosing the town that I don't have the immediate crush on, but the one I grow to love deeply as time passes, will work out well too.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 PM

Moving vans are expensive. Do I want so spend $$$ on moving expenses or taking an incredible trip somewhere. Something to think about.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,877,839 times
  • Atlanta
  • Las Vegas
  • Dallas
  • Phoenix
Well, good luck to those folks...it's hotter than you know what in those cities! Interesting though that they are all large metro areas, so does that mean these current retirees aren't going for the Small Town USA thing anymore?

and, yes, it's cheaper to live in Allentown, PA, but then again, there you are living in Allentown, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement