Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,358 times

Advertisements

I remember reading on here somewhere about the advantages or disadvantages of filing for retirement benefits at the same time, both main worker and spouse.

And I remember there being a reason either to do so or to wait like a week or month or something but I can't find the thread about it now.

Situation here is if my husband makes it to FRA 66 in March of 2016. He will file and suspend, at that Time I will be 64, I never worked [well I did few jobs but didn't earn over 7000 in my entire life total so have not enough credits on my record] however I will be filing at age 64 against his record, so I want to know if there is any reason either TO or NOT TO have us go in and file at the same time.

It may turn out he has to go on disabilty before that but for now we are hoping for the best.

Thanks for any insights on this. I know that my portion will be reduced to about 40% instead of 50% if I waited to 66. That is just not practical for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 12:32 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
There's no one-size-fits-all right or wrong answer. If, as you say, waiting is not practical for you, then you have your answer right there. What further advice are you looking for here?

Re waiting "a week or a month or something", that's not likely. Have you run all the numbers re your particular situation and are you comfortable with them?

I think that by the time an earner has reached your spouse's age, disability is not a factor in pondering options. Others with more knowledge might chime in.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
I agree with biscuitmom here. If DH is filing and suspending and you have no earnings that can be filed on taking it is the right thing too. The only reason to suspend is to have that monthly check grow. Since you are not in that category you have nothing that will grow. That is the reason DH is suspending. It also gives you a return point back should an emergency arise and you need a larger lump sum such as a medical condition requiring an operation. You can revisit that date with the SSA and you will be paid retroactively at the amount that would have been paid to date. Future payments would reflect that lower amount. I hope that makes sense.

Best of luck.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 AM

56 posts, read 70,012 times
You can only go back 6 months and you will lose any benefit of waiting (8% a year past FRA). There was a change to the rules a few years back

Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
There's no one-size-fits-all right or wrong answer. If, as you say, waiting is not practical for you, then you have your answer right there. What further advice are you looking for here?

Re waiting "a week or a month or something", that's not likely. Have you run all the numbers re your particular situation and are you comfortable with them?

I think that by the time an earner has reached your spouse's age, disability is not a factor in pondering options. Others with more knowledge might chime in.

No there was something about not filing in the same month but I have since found that that "gotcha" is not if one spouse has NO record of their own.

As it is I would likely wait three months till my 64th birthday after he would file at 66.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksmom67 View Post
You can only go back 6 months and you will lose any benefit of waiting (8% a year past FRA). There was a change to the rules a few years back

are you replying to the post above mentioning the file and suspend and then if an emergency arises or you change your mind you can get the lump sum back to when you filed as opposed to delay credits and a higher monthly payment?

Because if so, then you are mistaken. If you file and suspend at FRA you CAN in fact get the back payments all the way to when you did file even if it is 3 or 4 years, but you would loose the delay credits and your monthly payments would be your PIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement