Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

We know many of our friends and families are facing a possible nightmare storm in the next week and for seniors that can be especially life threatening. Our prayers and thoughts are with all of you and if you lose power we look forward to welcoming you back to the forum when it is returned and you are safe and secure. Keep us posted and let us know you are ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Thanks for the kind wishes. Today I'm skipping the gym and getting exercise by pruning some branches, cleaning out gutters, and bringing in yard items--but this is about the time of year I start doing those things anyway, so it's not a big deal.

It's a bummer that our pretty leaves will probably blow away--OTOH at least I'll be able to rake them up all at once. Also, a bummer that some neighbors are taking down their outdoor halloween displays early. My neighborhood goes all out for halloween and has had displays up all month. Just as well, don't really want to see plastic frankensteins and paper witches blowing around, (but it might add an interesting spooky touch to the storm, I guess.

The other things we've done:

--checked to make sure we had batteries. We did.
--putting containers of water in freezer so if we lose power the ice keeps it cold.
--took my friend normie and a couple of her friends over to Costco this morning. It was nice to see there was no crowd (or at least no more than there usually is).
--recharged cell phones and put gas in the car. I figure gas might go up after a storm, that's why I filled the tank.
--voted. Not that I really think we'll have a big enough power outage to interfere with voting, but what the heck, it's good to have it out of the way.

I think that's probably enough prep. Guess I'll find out. My theory is you do what you can to prepare, and then you don't worry about it. Whatever will be, will be. We could see some damage since our area isn't used to hurricanes and so isn't built or pruned properly for it. Oh well, we'll find out soon enough, and then we'll clean up whatever gets broken.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Caladium you sound like someone who has been through a few storms. Hunker down and wait it out!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Yes, thinking about you all!

Caladium, great list. I am sure you are stocked up on toilet paper, batteries, candles, tuna, crackers, peanut butter, dried milk, etc. I always keep those types of things on hand b/c we go through several power outages a year, typically, and it can be challenging.

Also, any meds . . . but you sound like you are on top of all that. Just mentioning in case others are reading and not used to days without power and debris/downed power lines on roads making travel difficult or impossible.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, thinking about you all!

Caladium, great list. I am sure you are stocked up on toilet paper, batteries, candles, tuna, crackers, peanut butter, dried milk, etc.
A Costco fanatic like me? You betcha! But it was good to take my friends there this morning--while I was there I replenished our stock of catfood. So kitty now has enough catfood for another month. I don't care how bad this hurricane is, I don't imagine the power will be out for more than a month.

The bad part will be tree limbs flying around, and the fall leaves falling all at once and potentially clogging the gutters right before a heavy rain. Another good suggestion: put leaf netting over your storm drain, so you can easily clear it if things start backing up.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Caladium you sound like someone who has been through a few storms. Hunker down and wait it out!
Yup. It's part of life you're a beach bum.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
A Costco fanatic like me? You betcha! But it was good to take my friends there this morning--while I was there I replenished our stock of catfood. So kitty now has enough catfood for another month. I don't care how bad this hurricane is, I don't imagine the power will be out for more than a month.

The bad part will be tree limbs flying around, and the fall leaves falling all at once and potentially clogging the gutters right before a heavy rain. Another good suggestion: put leaf netting over your storm drain, so you can easily clear it if things start backing up.
Yes, you sound like me - I buy in bulk to both save $$$ and be stocked in case of emergencies.

It was an excellent idea to take your friends . . . very helpful.

I keep kitty litter even though I don't have an indoor kitty (I feed a feral cat that drops by regularly). I use kitty litter for traction in snow/ice.

Great idea about leaf netting!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
I'm doing nothing to prepare for the storm. Husband is off playing golf and I returned from a nice walk and now it's play time on the computer. After living on the Atlantic side of Florida for six years, barricading our house with corrugated steel shutters, and going without electricity for days, I think we can handle what's coming to the northeast. The media needs to take it down a notch... frankenstorm???

Old 10-26-2012, 12:32 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
It has been 80 degrees and gorgeous all week until today - pouring rain and 48...no wind or lightening, etc. Those folks in NY have had it tough this year - didn't they have flooding problems this past spring? Be safe east coast peeps.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Thanks for the kind wishes. Today I'm skipping the gym and getting exercise by pruning some branches, cleaning out gutters, and bringing in yard items--but this is about the time of year I start doing those things anyway, so it's not a big deal.

It's a bummer that our pretty leaves will probably blow away--OTOH at least I'll be able to rake them up all at once. Also, a bummer that some neighbors are taking down their outdoor halloween displays early. My neighborhood goes all out for halloween and has had displays up all month. Just as well, don't really want to see plastic frankensteins and paper witches blowing around, (but it might add an interesting spooky touch to the storm, I guess.

The other things we've done:

--checked to make sure we had batteries. We did.
--putting containers of water in freezer so if we lose power the ice keeps it cold.
--took my friend normie and a couple of her friends over to Costco this morning. It was nice to see there was no crowd (or at least no more than there usually is).
--recharged cell phones and put gas in the car. I figure gas might go up after a storm, that's why I filled the tank.
--voted. Not that I really think we'll have a big enough power outage to interfere with voting, but what the heck, it's good to have it out of the way.

I think that's probably enough prep. Guess I'll find out. My theory is you do what you can to prepare, and then you don't worry about it. Whatever will be, will be. We could see some damage since our area isn't used to hurricanes and so isn't built or pruned properly for it. Oh well, we'll find out soon enough, and then we'll clean up whatever gets broken.
Oh, geez. Aren't you a couple hours west of the coast? Hmm. Maybe I should monitor this storm.

I have no food in the freezer/fridge, so I don't need ice. Maybe I'll fill the tub with water for toilet flushing. Thanks for the suggestion about filling the tank as mine is on empty. (No surprise.) I have candles, but misplaced my wind-up radio. Bummer.

If it starts heading toward Maryland, I'll back up my computer files and make sure the family photos are in a water proof container. Fill a few jugs with water and buy some chocolate and wine. Done.

Am I forgetting anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement