Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,126,955 times

Advertisements

So I retired at 62 and wondered if I would miss being part of the new exciting discoveries at my old research job. Two years later I can honestly say that I have never missed it even for a minute. Is this experience typical? Or are there some who retire by their own free will who wish they were back at the old job. What was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,908 times
Sometimes I miss it. I was a professor in a law school and sometimes I miss the students, the intellectual stimulation, the camaraderie with colleagues. I certainly miss the salary.

Of course, you have to consider my perspective. My full-time job now is being caregiver to my disabled husband. So my missing my old job may very well be a grass-is-greener kind of thing.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM

335 posts, read 335,104 times
Absolutely not. I retired at 55 (lucky me) being forced out by a new management, who proceeded to ruin the company (it was sold within a year for almost nothing).

I think I can say that my life began about then.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,723,434 times
No way. Too stressful. I'm glad I got out when I did

Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,880,031 times
OG, no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
So I retired at 62 and wondered if I would miss being part of the new exciting discoveries at my old research job. Two years later I can honestly say that I have never missed it even for a minute. Is this experience typical? Or are there some who retire by their own free will who wish they were back at the old job. What was your experience?

Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,574,619 times
No. I don't miss a schedule. I don't miss clients. I don't miss bureaucracy. I don't miss wondering if I will have a job at the end of the day. Don't miss the political correctness that crept in. Don't miss whiners. I envy anyone who got to work in what they enjoyed and wanted to do. I worked for a paycheck and to support a family. That doesn't bother me either. I never took my work home with me. Never discussed my day with the DW. Live well. Financially secure. Decent health. No interest in going back or starting over. Like my time.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,587,704 times
I miss the intellectual stimulation, but I'm very happy to be away from the stress, the terrible commuting, the office conflict, poor bosses, and office nonsense.

I really do miss the intellectual stimulation and challenges of carrying out research, but even that is not worth the negatives listed above, so I haven't wanted to be back working for even a second in the three years I've been retired.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
Have to honestly say I miss some of the people but kind of a been there done that otherwsie.I just moved on to other things ;really.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
YES! I've only been retired since last Friday, and it wasn't my idea. My job description was eliminated, which is code for "we're hiring someone younger" (which is illegal, shhh). I really wanted to work a lot longer, and I miss going to work. Why? Because I interacted with a cross section of people who I enjoyed, and who enjoyed me. Truly, I was still up to the job.

I asked the same question to a friend who was an engineer in the tire industry, and he said that he welcomed retirement because he realized that the technology had advanced beyond him.

I have plenty of other talents and interests, so everyone will welcome me as a volunterr, but no one will hire me at my age. Too bad.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Surely you jest! Wish I was back? Never! Miss a few of the people but what price freedom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement