Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times

Advertisements

After retiring from my full-time career job seven and a half years ago, I continued to work some special projects as well as the two moon-lighting hobby-jobs I had been doing. The total amount of work was less than half-time, and I just loved it because those things were all things I liked and had chosen to continue with. It worked out perfectly for me; I didn't need the money so I could give up the various things any time. In fact, I did just that - quit the jobs one by one over the years as I decided I was getting tired of them. I now have just one five-week project left - every July. I don't know how many years I will continue with that one, but the beauty of it is that it doesn't matter; when I get tired of that last remaining thing, or they get tired of me, it will be over and that will be fine too.

So in my case semi-retirement has been a wonderful thing. I felt useful, felt needed, and enjoyed the challenges but had much time off for decompression, traveling, etc. I suppose it would be different if the semi-retiree really needs the money and has to keep at a part-time job he/she doesn't like.

So what are the experiences of others? I'll bet many of you are so delighted not to work at all that the very idea of part-time or seasonal work is anathema. Perhaps others, like me, have found some kind of a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
First of all, congratulations on early retirement! Personally I think it's GREAT if you can work some side jobs as long as you enjoy doing it. I have several friends/clients that also retired early and they also do some consulting gigs but they only take on projects that they like, work with clients that they truly enjoy working with and they don't "have to work" if they don't want to.

Like you, I consider myself "semi-retired". I used to work insane hours. I'm talking up to 17 hours a day 7 days a week for years on end. Just brutally stressful. My friends/family all thought I was crazy then and told me I was nuts to work such insane hours. But now I don't hear them saying anything while they are stuck in their jobs, stuck in traffic during rush hour, etc.

Semi-retirement, if you can truly afford it is incredible! It's great never having to worry about getting stuck in rush hour traffic, going to the supermarket or Home Depot when it's crowded on the weekends. You can just go in the middle of the day when everyone is at work. We travel extensively around the world. I get to spend tons of time with my kids and actually watch them grow up each and every day.

I will always enjoy working part-time. I still own a company so I'll always work a few hours each day. But I pick and choose which clients I will work with and which projects I want to work on.

Like you mentioned, it really depends on if the semi-retiree needs the money. There are those that truly need to work part-time and those that want to work part-time.

Don't get me wrong. I think I'd get totally bored if I wasn't working at all. I think everyone needs to feel like they have a purpose in life, needs challenges, etc. I contemplated going back to work (I'm at the C-suite level) as I could easily get another job. But for the first time, I'm honestly thinking about really permanently being semi-retired.

Before it scared me a little but with each passing month I'm finding it more and more attractive.

You find hobbies, make new friendships and find ways to keep your days interesting.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Long story short, as much as I loved being semi-retired, it's not remotely close to the real thing, in which i choose every night and every day what I'll do or not do.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
I think it's fantastic, if you can find interesting projects like you were able to. Two years ago I knew people in IT defense related jobs doing just that, and having a blast working on little projects.

Sadly, in the last two years those opportunities seemed to have disappeared and if you want a job after retirement your option is taking the positions at Wal-Mart that nobody else would take (because even Wal-Mart has cut out the door greeter jobs--now retirees are hired to do stocking).

Hopefully this will change soon. Or maybe I'm wrong. It's possible I've just heard some depressing accounts, and if I were to really look I'd find there are still a few of the interesting jobs out there. My employer talked about sending me some work if a former client still needed one of the old projects done (they moved to a new city and also changed the sort of work they do). There would be some challenges to make that feasible, and right now I'm enjoying full retirement. But maybe it might happen. You never know.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I think it's fantastic, if you can find interesting projects like you were able to. Two years ago I knew people in IT defense related jobs doing just that, and having a blast working on little projects.

Sadly, in the last two years those opportunities seemed to have disappeared and if you want a job after retirement your option is taking the positions at Wal-Mart that nobody else would take (because even Wal-Mart has cut out the door greeter jobs--now retirees are hired to do stocking).

Hopefully this will change soon. Or maybe I'm wrong. It's possible I've just heard some depressing accounts, and if I were to really look I'd find there are still a few of the interesting jobs out there. My employer talked about sending me some work if a former client still needed one of the old projects done (they moved to a new city and also changed the sort of work they do). There would be some challenges to make that feasible, and right now I'm enjoying full retirement. But maybe it might happen. You never know.
Walmart hasn't completely cut out door greeter jobs. We still have them. They are just located further into the store and are "How can I help you?" people. Maybe, as they retire...again!...they won't be replaced, who knows?

I can think of worse places to work than Walmart. I CHOSE to work there, only wanted part time AND the benefits! There are plenty of places that would've hired me here but I wouldn't have been able to work the way I wanted or have the benefits. We have plenty of seniors who are working as sales associates and cashiers and the "youngsters" do most of the stocking because it's over nights. Us seniors don't WANT to work over nights!

In all honesty I would LOVE to fully retire but that's just not gonna happen. Darn it. At least I really like my job and don't mind going to work.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
IMO, 'semi-retirement' is not really retirement, but, rather, a euphemism for working part time at retirement age. During the last few years of working, I cut-down on hours, days and travel, but, I was still working.

A major 'Retirement' advantage is the freedom to do whatever one can afford, whenever one wants, with no obligation to juggle one's life around someone else's time clock, work schedule or expectations. One can't do that with a part-time job.

Additionally, many people are working part-time or reduced hours as a result of the economic crunch on their lives and an inability to find full-time work. Few of them imagine themselves to be 'semi-retired' ... at least not by choice.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
IMO, 'semi-retirement' is not really retirement, but, rather, a euphemism for working part time at retirement age. During the last few years of working, I cut-down on hours, days and travel, but, I was still working.

A major 'Retirement' advantage is the freedom to do whatever one can afford, whenever one wants, with no obligation to juggle one's life around someone else's time clock, work schedule or expectations. One can't do that with a part-time job.

Additionally, many people are working part-time or reduced hours as a result of the economic crunch on their lives and an inability to find full-time work. Few of them imagine themselves to be 'semi-retired' ... at least not by choice.
You are so right about all that. But it makes me feel better to say I am "semi retired". I like working part time...4 days on and 3 off...because I CAN still plan and do things outside of work. No, I don't like having to adhere to 'someone else's schedule' and expectations, but, unfortunately, that's part of the deal.

I am one of those who has to work due to the "economic crunch"...plus the fact that my ex really threw a BIG monkey wrench into MY retirement plans! ..but don't even want full time work. Been there and done that for waaay too many years. If I can't afford to fully retire I'm still going to make the most use out of what time I DO have to do things. And fortunately, financially, working part time allows me to be able to do that. I love my 'long weekend' road trips!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
I accepted early retirement from my job at age 58 because my position was going to be automated. During the transition period I agreed to come back as a part-timer for as long as they still needed me. At first I was skeptical. I wasn't sure how I would feel about being a lowly temp with no benefits and no regular schedule after having been a full-timer for over 30 years. But it worked out fine, better in some ways. I felt more emotionally detached from all the office politics and BS because I was no longer on the staff. Stuff that used to bother me would just roll off my back because I no longer thought of myself as an employee.

Over the next two years, the number of days I worked dwindled from 2 to 4 days a week to one day a week, then nothing. This gradual easing into retirement helped me adjust to the idea of not having a job any more. It took a while to realize that even though I no longer had the identity of "Bayarea4, television studio technician," it was OK to just be me. The two years of part-time work also helped pay for my health insurance, which was no longer provided by the company and cost me a freaking bloody fortune. Retirees who are over 50 get charged the highest rates because insurance companies assume if you are not still working, it must be because there is something wrong with your health.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
First of all, congratulations on early retirement!
Glad you are in general agreement with my post, but actually I did not retire from full-time work particularly early; I was 61. Sure, that could be "early" to some people, but it wouldn't be to many others. I think the comments both of us made about part-time work, or semi-retirement, apply regardless of the age at which one gives up full-time work.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 AM

Default O.K., I'll argue semantics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

The first paragraph is a semantic discussion. So I will tell you why I considered my "semi-retirement" as an accurate description, not a euphemism. After 34 years in a career job, I submitted retirement papers at age 61 and received a pension I could live on (albeit not lavishly) without ever working again. By accepting certain short-term projects (maximum time five weeks) as opposed to working part-time hours every single week, I had rather large blocks of time completely free. One thing I did was take a leisurely, two-month, 10,000 mile road trip from Los Angeles up into Canada through the Canadian Rockies, across to the east coast and back along a sourthern route, visiting friends, relatives, museums, and sights as I went. I was truly semi-retired. I was not "still working", except now and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement