Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM

171 posts, read 209,324 times

Advertisements

As a firm believer that Boomers will be the last generation able to afford a 'decent' retirement, would you be willing to pay extra to have alternative energy sources in the retirement community you move to (even though they may cost several thousands more) so retirees coming after us won't have to deal with high energy cost... sort of a way of paying it forward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
The efficient lifespan of the alternative power source is probably shorter than your retirement.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,409,126 times
While we try very hard to conserve and reduce/recycle/reuse, I couldn't give a blanket answer. I'd be willing to pay a premium for alternative energy if there was a long run benefit, but not all alternative energy options make sense, at least not yet.

Some of them (ie, solar & wind) rely on low adoption rates and/or subsidies to appear cost effective, and they would not be cost effective at high adoption rates and/or without subsidies. At high adoption rates, they reduce emissions but increase cost. At 100% adoption of solar & wind, costs could easily be considerably higher, at least with present technologies. So there may be a moral aspect to the decision.

But technological breakthroughs have surprised us all throughout history, no reason to believe that won't continue to be the case (fingers crossed). And as I understand it, the costs of PV cells are dropping precipitously nowadays.

Sorry my answer is likely more complicated than you were hoping for...regards.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 PM

171 posts, read 209,324 times
Great answer... just looking for opinions

Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
No, I wouldn't pay extra to live with alternative energy. I already live in an area with renewable energy (hydro), that is low cost, but environmentalists look down on it.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,409,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
No, I wouldn't pay extra to live with alternative energy. I already live in an area with renewable energy (hydro), that is low cost, but environmentalists look down on it.
FWIW, hydro is a far more attractive alternative than solar or wind. Hydro is constant (properly sited) where solar and wind are intermittent, which requires full capacity backup from coal, nat gas, nuclear or whatever conventional utility. That's why level of adoption of intermittent alternatives are a significant long term issue...

Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,095,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
While we try very hard to conserve and reduce/recycle/reuse, I couldn't give a blanket answer. I'd be willing to pay a premium for alternative energy if there was a long run benefit, but not all alternative energy options make sense, at least not yet.

Some of them (ie, solar & wind) rely on low adoption rates and/or subsidies to appear cost effective, and they would not be cost effective at high adoption rates and/or without subsidies. At high adoption rates, they reduce emissions but increase cost. At 100% adoption of solar & wind, costs could easily be considerably higher, at least with present technologies. So there may be a moral aspect to the decision.

But technological breakthroughs have surprised us all throughout history, no reason to believe that won't continue to be the case (fingers crossed). And as I understand it, the costs of PV cells are dropping precipitously nowadays.

Sorry my answer is likely more complicated than you were hoping for...regards.
Excellent points and well made. Funny thing about energy the most cost effective by true dollars is nuclear followed very closely by hydro. It is the most controversial though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTYD View Post
Great answer... just looking for opinions
Great questions though. My opinion is I would also pay some extra for alternative energy if it would lead us on a more environmentally friendly and all. I am like mathjak in that I am really pretty good with recycling. I sort my trash. I do drive a 6 cyl that is supposed to do flex fuel. I havent used it though. My wife drives a 4 cyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
It is really sad that because we can get lots of energy from a hydro electric dam (I grew up next to one) and the cost of energy is very good. Maybe on the ones in service there can be a way to capture more with smaller generators with greater output. Things are getting smaller and more efficient

Old 03-15-2013, 02:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
I lost interest at "retirement communities."

Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
1. I have no interest in a retirement community.
2. You have no idea if energy will cost more in the future? You are basing this on false assumptions. New technologies are being discovered every year. We now have a 100 year supply of natural gas, and more oil to meet the worlds needs are being found every day. Lighten up and enjoy your retirement.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,095,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
1. I have no interest in a retirement community.
2. You have no idea if energy will cost more in the future? You are basing this on false assumptions. New technologies are being discovered every year. We now have a 100 year supply of natural gas, and more oil to meet the worlds needs are being found every day. Lighten up and enjoy your retirement.

Not every retirement community is in the alternative energy gig. Most actually are just places where people of like mind decide to have homes. They pool community assets like pools and hot tubs. They also have game rooms and exercise facilities. Places to relax and meet with others doing things you want.

Yes they cater to those who are looking for the amenities they offer. There are a lot of reasons to like and dislike them.

It is good that we have good supply of energy resources. We will need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement