Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 02:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times

Advertisements

Include these in your plans for Tax and Living Income planning.

Our retirement income streams were set-up to begin at age 68 which had been my intended retirement age for decades. I retired at age 64 so we will be drawing from my second career 401(k) for living expenses during the next 3 years. The 401(k) which becomes slightly problematic at age 72 because of potential RMDs will be exhausted by that point while other larger and tax shielded investments continue to grow.

Just our situation and solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 03:10 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,611,841 times
Also don't forget that this year you don't have to file your Federal tax until May 15, possibly State taxes too depending on your location. But the Estimated Taxes from your IRA withdrawal etc., still need to be paid by April 15.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:13 PM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Also don't forget that this year you don't have to file your Federal tax until May 15, possibly State taxes too depending on your location. But the Estimated Taxes from your IRA withdrawal etc., still need to be paid by April 15.
This is a great example of why people hate the IRS. That's just dumb. Of course, it also seems dumb to me that that they pushed the filing deadline.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Include these in your plans for Tax and Living Income planning.

Our retirement income streams were set-up to begin at age 68 which had been my intended retirement age for decades. I retired at age 64 so we will be drawing from my second career 401(k) for living expenses during the next 3 years. The 401(k) which becomes slightly problematic at age 72 because of potential RMDs will be exhausted by that point while other larger and tax shielded investments continue to grow.

Just our situation and solution.
I said something earlier in another thread.
At age 72 now regardless of whether you need the money or not you will need to increase your fixed income by the required IRS amount. Yes there are tax consequences but there are also income consequences. For those with pensions and SS that exceed their spending resulting in continued retirement savings prior to RMD’s be prepared for more unneeded income. By age 72 that outcome may not have been fully appreciated at age 60.

You can firecalc all you want but 10-15 years later when one of the best case scenarios is a reality you realize how it could have gone the other way.

On the other hand I am big on the retirement want bandwagon.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:24 PM

9,141 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
This is a great example of why people hate the IRS. That's just dumb. Of course, it also seems dumb to me that that they pushed the filing deadline.
You don't have to delay your filing. You can pretend nothing has changed. I file in March so the change was irrelevant to me.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:04 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
RMDs got you down?
Learn about QCDs.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
RMDs got you down?
Learn about QCDs.
Agreed, plus..... Be Sure to parcel out any Roth portion of your 401k before depleting it all pre-RMD.

My latest 401k allowed both Roth and taxable (traditional) options. With many yrs service, I ended up with 60% of my 401k as Roth. That portion is not being spent down pre- RMD.

QCD will be my vehicle of choice, as that will reduce my DAF outflow (which will provide perpetual gifting long after I'm cold and gone)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement