Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 05:03 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times

Advertisements

I graduated from high school in 1963, so I remember that world well. It was cleaner. Safer. People were nicer to each other.
I think I know why.
The population of the world in 1963 was 3.1B people. And only 190 million of them lived in the US. Today, 315 million of the world's population of 7 billion live in the US.
There were 69,000 cars on the road in 1963; today there are 270,000. In rural areas we used to casually raise our finger "hello" when we met another car.
I never heard of a kid disrespecting an adult.

It was better, and the reason it was better is because there were fewer of us. A lot fewer.
It will correct itself in time. None of us retirees will get to see it, but it will happen. Women are no longer having as many children as they used to, and 'peak population' is very close according to demographers. That, and our over-dependence on electronically connected technology will prove to be the weak link in the population growth chain. The break will be catastrophic on one hand and a blessing on the other.

You remember that world? I do. And I miss it, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 05:29 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
Willoughby, next stop Willoughby.

Every generation longs for those simpler times.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:38 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
That’s why I like to watch Clint Eastwood movies, those simpler times when you ride on horses to get around.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:40 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
LOL. Willoughby. Changing times, not really so much population. Internet and all that (though I love it).

Was it really "safer" , or was it just lack of reporting every single thing? Hard to know.

Amazing how we all walked to school, though.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:44 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
I think you are decidedly wrong about the world population reaching a point where it stabilizes. The growth will go on and on for the foreseeable future and the population growth will continue to change the earth. Global warming and depletion of resources will continue for a long time. People being people it is doubtful that there will ever be some sort of control measures.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I graduated from high school in 1963, so I remember that world well. It was cleaner. Safer. People were nicer to each other.
I think I know why.
The population of the world in 1963 was 3.1B people. And only 190 million of them lived in the US. Today, 315 million of the world's population of 7 billion live in the US.
There were 69,000 cars on the road in 1963; today there are 270,000. In rural areas we used to casually raise our finger "hello" when we met another car.

It was better, and the reason it was better is because there were fewer of us. A lot fewer.
It will correct itself in time. None of us retirees will get to see it, but it will happen. Women are no longer having as many children as they used to, and 'peak population' is very close according to demographers. That, and our over-dependence on electronically connected technology will prove to be the weak link in the population growth chain. The break will be catastrophic on one hand and a blessing on the other.

Women are no longer having as many children? How about men, they have a part to play in population matters too.

I remember it and I don't miss it. I didn't have this idyllic life of which you speak.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Willoughby, next stop Willoughby.

Every generation longs for those simpler times.
There really is a Willoughby; Willoughby, Ohio.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K8HQxP4QPK0

Old 04-20-2019, 05:58 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,076 times
I was thinking about that recently too. When I was a child, there were only 2.5 billion people in the world. Today there are almost 8 billion. This is very apparent to me when I see that the woods and fields that were here are now housing developments, rows and rows of houses packed tightly together. And there are so many more cars on the road now. It boggles my mind.

I can't say the world was cleaner back then, or that it was safer. It was definitely quieter, less busy, less crowded.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think I know why.

Well all this depends on where you lived, your race, your economic circumstances, etc. just prior to when I was born the pollution hit a critical mass and major efforts were made to clean the air etc. For me the joys of life in a city as a child were tempered by the fear of another ira bomb going off somewhere and I lived through several bomb scares.

Too me the past was filled with good and bad , just as it is now, so I don’t wear rose colored glasses. I enjoy the good memories of the past but I’m under no illusions it was better. As for technology I LOVE it And am glad the days of trying to book a hotel, a flight, or a long distance phone call are gone , im glad of the modern technology in the field of medicine. My husband just had cataract surgery and what a miracle.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
It certainly wasn't cleaner. People used to throw trash out their windows while driving before there were fines for doing so. Our majestic national bird, the bald eagle almost went extinct because of DDT and other chemicals were used without any thought to the environment. Streams and rivers in many towns and cities were cesspools not faintly livable for any fish.
Maybe it was safer in some areas. With over crowding often times crime increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement