Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

I decided to take a car ride to visit this new 55+ community similar to Del Webb's only cheaper and practically brand new. I am in S. Chandler and had no choice but to take I 10 to the west valley, since there isn't any road that crosses over the Indian Res. yet. The 202 extension is still in limbo.

Anyway, I got on the 10, and at 59th ave a terrific backup occurred due to a crash at 67th ave. The 10 was totally closed. I ended up taking side roads for about a half hour, pretty much thinking I was lost until I finally came to Estrella Parkway and turned south, another 15 miles to Cantamia. (means my song). Its part of the Estrella community which has been there about 20 years they say.

The Village Center is large, beautiful and on a Sunday afternoon, vacant. Not one person was inside. Large indoor pool, craft rooms, conference center for ?, big tv, fireplace, cafe, library, etc. I walked around totally alone and wondered where all the residents were. Later found out there are 200 people living in CM. I did see 2 people in the outside pool which is large and gorgeous too.

On to the model home center, again huge and many agents busily working in offices. My agent was very nice and explained all the building , the area, the coming amenities, etc. and then drove me to the models. They are very very nice, but filled with upgrades which would add $ 15-20,000 to the base price. Everything is an option. The homes start at $135,000 (1100 sf) and go up to $282,000 (2800 sf). There are 16 model homes to tour. I didn't go in all of them cause it was too hot outside and some were bigger than I wanted.

The major drawback is this area is in the middle of nowhere. There is a Safeway a few miles up the road, a Walgreems. a bank, a couple other stores, but you have to drive all the way to I 10 (15 miles) to get to any real shopping. You definitely need a car for the rest of your life. And its all desert with no grass or green. I was hoping for more vegetation, didn't see it. Estrella Mt Park is close by with trails and hiking. The only dog park is in Goodyear, a ways away.
Anyway, the bottom line for me is its too far, too new, and I will keep looking but maybe this review will help others looking for a desert home in a 55+ community !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,265 times
Thanks for the report. I like to go through the new over 55 communities to see the models, how they decorate etc. I have been to a few surrounding Phoenix/Tuscon but don't think I have seen this one in particular.

You bring up good issues in terms of having to drive everywhere. I am surprised that so many are so far away (in the middle of no where), but of course they obtain the land cheap to develop.

I love the Del Webb in Mesquite, Nevada as Mesquite has most of what you need and St. George is close and Vegas not too far away. You can have the small town life but not live in the middle of no where. It is right in Mesquite.

I would think Cantamia would be very appealing to the Snowbirds that want to flock there from Wisconsin or Canada for the most lovely winters you have in Arizona. What might not look so appealing in July might look like paradise in January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement