Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 05:54 AM

483 posts, read 666,706 times

Advertisements

So, we've both been retired since the beginning of May. So far, the hardest thing about retirement is actually remembering/figuring out what DAY it is. Seriously, when we were working we ALWAYS knew what day it was...and the days seemed to drag until the weekend. ("You mean it's only Thursday? At least tomorrow's Friday...then the weekend").

Now, days have no meaning...pretty much every day is Saturday. But there will be a time...usually in the middle of the day...when we will look at each other and ask, "What day is it today?" Then we'll both look up at the ceiling, ponder for a few seconds, and say something like, "Uh...it's Wednesday, isn't it?" The response will be something like, "No, I think it's Thursday." At that point one of us will get up and check the calendar. Sounds easy, right? But you still have to know what the DATE is, otherwise checking the calendar doesn't help. That starts a round of, "What's the DATE??"...

Man, retirement is hard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:47 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,688,615 times
You can check your cell phone or your computer for the date and day.

Glad you are enjoying retirement.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 AM

896 posts, read 1,143,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
So, we've both been retired since the beginning of May. So far, the hardest thing about retirement is actually remembering/figuring out what DAY it is. Seriously, when we were working we ALWAYS knew what day it was...and the days seemed to drag until the weekend. ("You mean it's only Thursday? At least tomorrow's Friday...then the weekend").

Now, days have no meaning...pretty much every day is Saturday. But there will be a time...usually in the middle of the day...when we will look at each other and ask, "What day is it today?" Then we'll both look up at the ceiling, ponder for a few seconds, and say something like, "Uh...it's Wednesday, isn't it?" The response will be something like, "No, I think it's Thursday." At that point one of us will get up and check the calendar. Sounds easy, right? But you still have to know what the DATE is, otherwise checking the calendar doesn't help. That starts a round of, "What's the DATE??"...

Man, retirement is hard...
It's wonderful, isn't it?! LIFE IS GOOD. Congratulations to you both.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:57 AM

396 posts, read 513,790 times
We keep current on dates because our golf leagues are on Tuesday and Sunday. Our biggest hurdle is adapting to a new time zone coupled with DST/ST changes. My husband said just yesterday that if we keep going to bed/getting up earlier, we should be on night shift by 2022.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:42 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,928,041 times
My wrist watch has both the date and the day of the week, so for me it's easy to check either one at a glance. I would assume from the original post that neither the OP nor his or her wife/husband wears a wrist watch which shows that data, or perhaps that neither one wears a wrist watch at all.

Many threads in the Retirement Forum over the years have discussed lifestyle issues having to do with the amount of structure people want in their lives, and this discussion is no different. It certainly would not be at all "wonderful" for me not to know what day it is on a continuing basis. I really enjoy being engaged with the outside world in various activities. A good example is the golfing in an organized league on certain days by poster Lark Bea and her husband. I don't play golf, but I engage in volunteer work in schools on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays when school is in session, and I go to (a) different school(s) on each of those days - and each day also has a different time schedule. So I damn sure better know what day it is!

Lots of things have hours which differ by the day of the week: the post office, the banks, retail stores, libraries, etc. For that reason alone I like the feeling of knowing what day it is; otherwise I would feel like I am wandering around in a mental fog.

I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with preferring not to know what day it is, but I am saying it wouldn't work at all for me personally.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:22 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,746,880 times
My husband has the date and day watch. I just kind of guess or remember. Yesterday at the dr's office an older man was filling in paperwork and asked what the date was. I happened to know.

But sometimes we have to discuss whether it's Wednesday or Thursday. It can go, "Well, last night was that program on PBS so it must be Monday." Or "two days ago we went to the cookout which was on a Tuesday night so it must be Thursday." ER is right: having a schedule works. If it's Wednesday it's golf day for him. If it's the weekend this beach area is crammed with tourists so we only have to look out the window.

Ain't retirement great!!

Old 07-23-2015, 08:24 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,899,586 times
I've been retired 6 years and don't care what day it is. Except for Thursday when I take the trash out. Other than that, doesn't matter.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:26 AM

3,265 posts, read 5,012,090 times
Sometimes still-working friends will ask me, "What did you do over the weekend" or "Do you have any plans for the coming weekend?"

I reply, "What's a weekend?"

Old 07-23-2015, 08:28 AM

11,172 posts, read 9,796,514 times
Perhaps you need one of these...

Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 AM

11,172 posts, read 9,796,514 times
And before anyone asks....yes this pic is from my bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement