Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 12:51 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times

Advertisements

I still have 26 years to go, and the only possible work related injury I might end up with before retirement might be carpal tunnel. I have no symptoms yet but tough to say down the road. Hopefully I make it to retirement without any physical injuries.

How about you retired people? Who has a long-term physical injury related to those decades of work you put in? What type of work did you do? What age did you start to show signs of this injury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 AM

8 posts, read 10,032 times
I have worked on a shipbuilding company for 15 years and was worried of mesothelioma.
Still have no signs until now but I was expecting it.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:48 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
DH owned a garbage route for years and all that getting in/out of truck now he needs a hip replacement.

Which he will not have surgery for, we're waiting for Medicare to kick in and then go for stem cell injections.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
While not exactly a long term physical injury, spending too much time sitting did give me a chronic problem with low back pain and leg pain in my last few years at work. And I started to get heavier than I like to be, which added to the problem.

When I retired 9 months ago I decided my first retirement project was to get back in shape. Got bitten by the exercise bug, got into the daily workout habit, and the problems resolved. One thing led to another and now I'm into kayaking, bike riding, and training for 10Ks (and maybe even something more ambitious in November--we'll see. Right now I'm taking it one race at a time).

It's hard to believe that this time last year I was sitting at a desk all day, in a fair amount of pain, and needing chiropractic treatments and pain meds. Now the only medication I need is a little Ben-Gay if I push too hard. Don't expect this to last forever, since the reality of old age is that injuries, disease, and/or disability eventually find you. But for now I'm enjoying the honeymoon. Feels good to get back in to shape.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:02 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
My long-term injuries are from a car accident, not work.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:10 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
I worked in a computer center from 1975 until 1992. Carpal tunnel began to be a problem, but ergonomic furniture and switch my mouse hand allowed for a recovery. Otherwise, I have a longterm injury from an accident which occurred at work, but was not a result of the type of work that I did.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:56 PM

371 posts, read 537,467 times
Exercised racehorses for twenty years and broke my collarbone (twice!), broke my arm, broken toes from being stepped on, broken ankle and the worst was a chipped bone in my knee from being kicked. THAT one is the one giving me trouble these days, though I do have problems with one shoulder being lower than the other, so my shirts don't ever fit me right. Should have broken the other collarbone to make it even :-) Arthritis in the hands is what stopped me working at 62.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement