Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times

Advertisements

Currently, I stay awake reading, watching movies, doing crosswords until 3, even 4am... today I got up at 11:30am! This happened progressively over 2 yrs. No worries about it-kinda feels good-no schedule...

but has anyone else turned night into day after retirement??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
I've become a night owl in retirement. Previously I'd be asleep by 10. I seem to get a second wind around 9 pm and when I do, I can now work at creative stuff or watch a movie past midnight. That makes me sleep later in the morning. Never in my life did I ever think I'd be getting up at 9:00 a.m. I wish I could set everything back a few hours, as I feel like I'm now missing some important morning time. And of course I feel guilty for sleeping late lol. Of course it doesn't help that I waste so much time on C-D.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,120 times
Yep, as long as the following day's plans permit it. I'm a night owl by nature, love a nap or 2 per day and will frequently read through dawn if its great book.

If I go to sleep at "normal times" I still wake up on my old work schedule (4:30 AM). I'll have some coffee, listen to the commuter traffic and then take a nap. Just clocked my 5th year in retirement and positively love having relatively no timelines to follow. ITS GREAT!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
sort of. very aware of my surroundings immediately day after retirement.
sat on the step into the kitchen and watched the sun beam cross the kitchen floor, 3 hour experience did that for several days.
its like somebody turned off niagra falls, the silence was deafening. (retired from a high stress job)

Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Funny -- we did the same thing with self employment. We go to bed around 2AM now and get up at 10....

Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 PM

I was never a night owl until now...guess it is not having any strict schedule....my mother was though. At times I try to rearrange hrs to get up earlier, as I like morning-time in general...but seems I revert back-maybe CD did it! Now my neighbor knows not to even call before 11am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've become a night owl in retirement. Previously I'd be asleep by 10. I seem to get a second wind around 9 pm and when I do, I can now work at creative stuff or watch a movie past midnight. That makes me sleep later in the morning. Never in my life did I ever think I'd be getting up at 9:00 a.m. I wish I could set everything back a few hours, as I feel like I'm now missing some important morning time. And of course I feel guilty for sleeping late lol. Of course it doesn't help that I waste so much time on C-D.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:12 PM

GREAT Pilgrim.... Glad to know other night owls are around...
I have "discovered" naps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Yep, as long as the following day's plans permit it. I'm a night owl by nature, love a nap or 2 per day and will frequently read through dawn if its great book.

If I go to sleep at "normal times" I still wake up on my old work schedule (4:30 AM). I'll have some coffee, listen to the commuter traffic and then take a nap. Just clocked my 5th year in retirement and positively love having relatively no timelines to follow. ITS GREAT!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:16 PM

Quite an adjustment for you...I at first thought I might have a hard time not working...so made plans and kept busy. Then I realized: no plans are the best plans! I do more spur-of-the-moment things.

Glad you are out of a stressful job...me too. I no longer have knotted-up shoulders, tension headaches, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sort of. very aware of my surroundings immediately day after retirement.
sat on the step into the kitchen and watched the sun beam cross the kitchen floor, 3 hour experience did that for several days.
its like somebody turned off niagra falls, the silence was deafening. (retired from a high stress job)

Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
I have always been a night owl. The difference is that now I can get a full nights sleep if my body requires it or sometimes I get a little afternoon nap. Well, I think I will call it a night since I have something planned for tomorrow.

My husband is more a morning person so this gives each of us some alone time that we really need. Togetherness is good, but too much togetherness; not good.

I keep saying that I am going to go to bed at 9 P. M. but every time I do I end up waking at about 3 A. M. and this gets me in a bad mood for the entire day. I naturally sleep about six hours with one or two days a week to catch up. I have been known to sleep 11 hours in a row.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 PM

Wonderful to be self-employed! Hopefully you get to live your life more in sync with your personal joys and ideas.

Glad to know more night owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Funny -- we did the same thing with self employment. We go to bed around 2AM now and get up at 10....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement