Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:14 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,049,321 times

Advertisements

Anyone care to share information and their experience with online dating sites for the retirement age singles? I've been participating with these sites for the last two years and wonder if my experience is typical of others' results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 03:41 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Anyone care to share information and their experience with online dating sites for the retirement age singles? I've been participating with these sites for the last two years and wonder if my experience is typical of others' results
I have not but am thinking about it - what have your experiences been?

Old 12-05-2013, 06:16 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times
My experiences have been less than ideal. In a nutshell, people are not who they portray themselves to be. I've pretty much gone back to the 'old fashioned' way of meeting people.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I have not but am thinking about it - what have your experiences been?
I do agree with Volosong but even when meeting the old fashioned way, IMHO people are different in the beginning of a friendship than they are after a while. Online dating is only a tool for introduction, the rest is much the same

Umbria, I've met about a handful of gentlemen and have had no bad experiences ~ none were a perfect match, some less than others, but isn't that the way it is in real life. I'm learning how to "screen" them by their profiles

Old 12-05-2013, 09:10 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,196,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I do agree with Volosong but even when meeting the old fashioned way, IMHO people are different in the beginning of a friendship than they are after a while. Online dating is only a tool for introduction, the rest is much the same

Umbria, I've met about a handful of gentlemen and have had no bad experiences ~ none were a perfect match, some less than others, but isn't that the way it is in real life. I'm learning how to "screen" them by their profiles
Agree. I've dated men from online and offline. Some good, some not so good. Takes time to really get to know a person.

Last edited by smpliving; 12-05-2013 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-05-2013, 12:22 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
I met some nice men that way. One that I met was a huge help to me because at that time, I was going through a divorce. He was kind and understanding. He even helped me move out. Not really relationship material though, too many problems after a while.

Another man I met is someone I have become good friends with.

Some of the men turned out to be married so I had nothing to do with them.

One man wanted me to run off with him to Arizona after the first date! (Not very fussy, I guess.)

Some wanted to use me. There are con artists out there. I had one (never met him) who would email me with poetic stories about his childhood in India, then his marriage to an American and how, for some reason, her family thought he was only after her money. The more he wrote, the more I realized that her family was right. I finally told him I had ZERO money and I never heard from him again.

One guy had a house in a wonderful place and actually expected to entertain various women there, no strings attached. Like a harem. I never met him either.

Other men wanted babes to sit next to them in their convertibles. Never met them.

Some seemed okay online but when you met them they obviously had some sort of emotional problem.

Others were really nice but we just didn't click.

I always met them in public places like a coffee shop in a mall. Arrived and left in my own car. Finally I met my English husband online--most of the American men seemed too materialistic to me and were not interested in a relationship. Nothing against American men--just the ones I found online were like that. I connected a lot better with the British (English and Scottish) men, they were really nice. I had great phone conversations with some of them and found them to be truly caring. Only one had the guts to come over here and I gave him a week long guided tour of the area. Told him I was not interested in him though. Ended up marrying him five years ago.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:22 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
I met some nice men that way. One that I met was a huge help to me because at that time, I was going through a divorce. He was kind and understanding. He even helped me move out. Not really relationship material though, too many problems after a while.

Another man I met is someone I have become good friends with.

Some of the men turned out to be married so I had nothing to do with them.

One man wanted me to run off with him to Arizona after the first date! (Not very fussy, I guess.)

Some wanted to use me. There are con artists out there. I had one (never met him) who would email me with poetic stories about his childhood in India, then his marriage to an American and how, for some reason, her family thought he was only after her money. The more he wrote, the more I realized that her family was right. I finally told him I had ZERO money and I never heard from him again.

One guy had a house in a wonderful place and actually expected to entertain various women there, no strings attached. Like a harem. I never met him either.

Other men wanted babes to sit next to them in their convertibles. Never met them.

Some seemed okay online but when you met them they obviously had some sort of emotional problem.

Others were really nice but we just didn't click.

I always met them in public places like a coffee shop in a mall. Arrived and left in my own car. Finally I met my English husband online--most of the American men seemed too materialistic to me and were not interested in a relationship. Nothing against American men--just the ones I found online were like that. I connected a lot better with the British (English and Scottish) men, they were really nice. I had great phone conversations with some of them and found them to be truly caring. Only one had the guts to come over here and I gave him a week long guided tour of the area. Told him I was not interested in him though. Ended up marrying him five years ago.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Although I am not in the market for a husband, I use my homeless friend as an acid test for relationships. It was chilly this morning so I took her a warm breakfast and my husband drove me to her corner. She was grateful for a warm meal. When I introduce her, or talk about her, to other friends I closely watch their reaction as if someone isn't compassionate, then they probably don't deserve a place in my life. Learning to screen people in or out of one's life is an important skill whether online or not.

Be careful and keep your eyes wide open. Many woman, and men, have been victimized by those who don't have a moral compass.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
...Many woman, and men, have been victimized by those who don't have a moral compass.
Primary reason why I'm done, (with trying to find a "mate"). Gotta admit that I'm liking the freedom and independence more and more. I do kind of think that I'm getting more and more picky and that nobody can measure up to my fantasy. However, I do miss snuggling up to someone special on a cold night, (and I'm not referring to sex either).

Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 PM

Default stories ~

I guess we all have some interesting stories to share about the internet dating sites. There are only two good ones that are 100% free.

I finally gave in and joined one that requires $ to open mail and answer mail and it also has a private chat mode. So, one day I was chatting with a character who, after about one minute of chatting, asked me to go visit him in another state and be his lover I said "no thanks" and his reply was "goodbye" and then he blocked me Like I really care. LOL !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement